Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Condemned for not believing Messengers?
Condemned for not believing Messengers?
I wrote arguments for Messengers being sent and arguments against Messengers being sent, and I leaned on the arguments against Messengers being sent.

That said, I realize I can be mistaken and don't deny people of a faith can have knowledge of their faith being true that I don't. But what I don't understand, is how I can be condemned for not believing,to those who believe I will be condemned since I sincerely used both my mind and heart to reach this conclusion. It's not something I took lightly and I thought about in the most unbiased way I can.
RE: Condemned for not believing Messengers?
(April 18, 2014 at 4:05 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I wrote arguments for Messengers being sent and arguments against Messengers being sent, and I leaned on the arguments against Messengers being sent.

That said, I realize I can be mistaken and don't deny people of a faith can have knowledge of their faith being true that I don't. But what I don't understand, is how I can be condemned for not believing,to those who believe I will be condemned since I sincerely used both my mind and heart to reach this conclusion. It's not something I took lightly and I thought about in the most unbiased way I can.

Whoever is condemning. . is an ass. And are full of shit. U dont believe in the bull.. good for u.
(April 18, 2014 at 4:05 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I wrote arguments for Messengers being sent and arguments against Messengers being sent, and I leaned on the arguments against Messengers being sent.

They will say that you cannot be sincere in your heart and mind. The only way, according to the true believer, to be really sincere is to come to the same conclusion that they did.

"Because everybody secretly believes as I do but they are stubborn and refuse to admit it."
A mind is a terrible thing to waste -- don't pollute it with bullshit.

They'll blame you for not trying hard enough. For example, if someone believes that faith comes from the Holy Spirit, there are three reasons someone wouldn't have faith:
  • God doesn't exist.
  • God is withholding the Holy Spirit.
  • It's somehow your fault.

To a believer, #1 is a complete nonstarter. #2 is exceptionally creepy to anyone other than a Calvinist. They might be able to say it's a test, but it's still creepy to contemplate. Therefore, #3 is the only remaining option: it's somehow your fault.

Really, this is just a side effect of them trying to make their belief system more palatable.
Other people cannot make that determination. God looks at your heart, your desire to know him, and how much he has revealed to you. In the end, it's between you and God. One thing to remember is that if you are seeking God, that means seeking his will above your own will.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When believing false things is comforting Foxaèr 45 5269 September 26, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Believing In God Is Extremely Immature. Edwardo Piet 42 6897 October 20, 2017 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  What is the Point of Believing in God Without Religion? Rhondazvous 74 8135 January 6, 2017 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15594 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why logical arguments for Messengers don't work. Mystic 45 11424 January 6, 2016 at 2:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are some people truly better off believing? Razzle 45 8793 May 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Can believing in bullshit be a good thing? Phatt Matt s 54 10644 April 7, 2014 at 11:45 am
Last Post: tor