Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi There
Hi There
Hi There,

My name is Aisha, I am 29 years old and a Dutchie living in France since October 2012.

Here's a bit of history:
When I was younger I went to a protestant school and went to church with my grandparents. I am quite a gullible naive person at times, and I always just assumed that this god thing was real. My parents never really talked about it, and they did not go to church. So all the things I learned about religion was at school or at my grandparents house. When I was a kid it bothered me that my parents would not go to church for a long while, because I was afraid they would go to hell, and I did not want that of course.

I have one younger sister, she has always been more critical than me, and at some point, when Easter came around and we had to go to church with school, she asked my mum if she could skip. My mum said it was fine so she did not go, this was the first time I really realized my parents might not believe in a god, rather than just being bored by being in church :p

It took a whole lot of time after that, where I went from just assuming there was a god, to thinking we could not know until we die, to realizing there is really no way. In the last 10 years I have learned much more about the universe and religion than I did before, and I can say that I am an atheist. It feels liberating really, and it changed my priorities in a huge way.

In normal live I work in a supermarket, not the greatest job around but I have integrated into a new country in 1.5 years time, and I think it is a good beginning, considering my French is not exactly perfect yet. Next to the job I keep an Etsy shop, which is only really great on a creative level.

I came to this forum because I would like to read more about atheism. Of course I get to watch debates and all, but I would like to read more personal stories and opinions too. I also would like to become a bit stronger in arguing, as I said I am naive sometimes and I can be easily get shy, I do not always manage to get my point across or stand up for my (non) believes Blush
I figure the best way to learn it is to get out there, so here I am.
RE: Hi There
Nice to meet you.
Hello, and welcome!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome! You won't be disappointed here.
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
Welcome aboard Smile
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hi Aisha Smile
Hello, Aisha .
From experience : French is hard, its also harder than German, Good luck with that Smile
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Welcome......
Thanks all Big Grin

Yes, French is hard indeed! German is not so bad, I had it in school a couple of years and it is a lot like my language.
But French is completely different. Difficult, but fun Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey there, hi there, ho there NaughtyButNice 19 3087 February 14, 2016 at 4:56 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello!!! I am glad to see there is an awesome atheist community out there! The Reason Tribune 2 1824 August 31, 2012 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused