Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Neitzche Hard?
Is Neitzche Hard?
One of my best friends, a guy with a philosophy degree, recently told me I should read Neitzche. He says I'll love his work.

A few days ago, my girfriend, also with a philosophy degree, said I should read Neitzche. She says I'll probably love his work.

I just found a couple Neitzche books for free on Kindlle. I'll probably read them when I'm done with my current book...but I'm worried. Can you get the full meaning of his works without a teacher? I'm worried that the meaning will fly right over my head, I'll waste my time, and I'll miss the important things. Can you read Neitzche without constantly having to check Spark Notes?

Am I over-reacting, and it's actually all really straightforward?
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
RE: Is Neitzche Hard?
Hm. I'm not going to say Nietzsche is easy because some parts do get a little deep (I'm thinking about his "Thus Spake Zarathustra" here), but I don't think all his works are hard at all times.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
That's kind of a personal question. Better ask him directly. But don't bother sending him an e-mail, 'cuz you've spelled his name wrongly. Tongue

I wouldn't worry about getting the "full meaning." This is philosophy. Read it and think about it for yourself. You could probably take about 10 different philosophy classes and get a hundred new insights/perspectives on it, yet not one of them will be more valuable than the time you spent actually thinking about human nature.
Depends on what Paul Rée wears to bed at night.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Is Neitzche Hard?
(April 22, 2014 at 5:55 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Hm. I'm not going to say Nietzsche is easy because some parts do get a little deep (I'm thinking about his "Thus Spake Zarathustra" here), but I don't think all his works are hard at all times.

Thus Spake is overly poetical and intentionally obscure.

The rest of his work is conversational and accessible, in my opinion. He's not overly floral and dense like Kant, and he's not cement-dense material like Hegel.

Nietzsche is one of the few I still read for pleasure, and I remember it being easy to read the first time. Kant took me years to be able to pick up and read without rolling my eyes the entire time.
I highly recommend H.L. Mencken's The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche.
(April 22, 2014 at 8:57 pm)Cato Wrote: I highly recommend H.L. Mencken's The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out Smile
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
read it.
think about it.
move on.

Philosophy is good for mind bending exercises and writing practice. It helps you look at things differently and helps you communicate better when you are trying to communicate a complicated (mostly BS) idea to other people
(April 22, 2014 at 5:46 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: One of my best friends, a guy with a philosophy degree, recently told me I should read Neitzche. He says I'll love his work.

A few days ago, my girfriend, also with a philosophy degree, said I should read Neitzche. She says I'll probably love his work.

I just found a couple Neitzche books for free on Kindlle. I'll probably read them when I'm done with my current book...but I'm worried. Can you get the full meaning of his works without a teacher? I'm worried that the meaning will fly right over my head, I'll waste my time, and I'll miss the important things. Can you read Neitzche without constantly having to check Spark Notes?

Am I over-reacting, and it's actually all really straightforward?

It depends on how you read him. In some ways you could read Thus Spoke Zarathustra just like any other story. I happen to think that Nietzsche was a misogynistic looser who liked to talk the talk, but failed to walk the walk. With guys like him it is often more revealing to look at the man himself rather than the things he wrote. If you are an anti-theist I suppose you could get a lot out of reading him, however. Nietzsche seems to have had a huge bone to pick with religion and god; he wrote a lot of catchy stuff about that.

EDIT:

LOL from Wikipedia:

'Lou Andreas-Salomé (born Louise von Salomé or Luíza Gustavovna Salomé, Russian: Луиза Густавовна Саломе; 12 February 1861 – 5 February 1937) was a Russian-born psychoanalyst and author. Her diverse intellectual interests led to friendships with a broad array of distinguished western thinkers, including Nietzsche, Freud, and Rilke. She was also a major cunt, which is why she turned down Nietzsche, the greatest man who ever lived.'

Not my edit of that article! Smile

I read 'The Antichrist' a couple of years ago. Im not the worlds most literary person, but i found it fairly easy to understand - and i got the impression Nietzsche was just a teensy weensy bit pissed at christianity!
I would definately recommend reading this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11247 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5472 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Critical thought is hard urlawyer 56 11173 April 19, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Ayn Rand is just a poor facsimile of Neitzche Really? 17 3467 March 18, 2014 at 7:37 am
Last Post: tor
  Soft Determinism, Hard Determinism, Necessitarianism, Fatalism...Huh? Mudhammam 14 6367 January 11, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The burden of wisdom/enlightenment, being good is too hard! Mystic 24 7682 May 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Godscreated