Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some brain bleach
I need some brain bleach
I just ran across this horrible story about Sylvia Likens that happened in the 1960's. It was squicky and wrong, and the woman responsible for her torture and death got off way easier than she should have.

What do you do when you read something that makes you feel wrong inside, and you need something to get it out of your head so you can return to the better mood you were in before you knew about it?

I know we have enough things happening today that warrant more attention than things that happened 50+ years ago, but it makes me a little sick inside anyway.

I was just reading a page from TV Tropes about audience alienating premises. A movie based on this story was mentioned that squicked people out, and it was toned down from what Gertrude really did.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: I need some brain bleach
This might be a bit late, but for future reference learn to keep the situation in your head till you get a better perspective on it, and come to terms with it. I know it sounds crazy, but, putting it off isn't the answer. The brain has a tendency to keep reviving thoughts that sprout deep emotions, so you'll really just start an inner war with your mind by trying to avoid thinking about it.

As for the whole 'having a better perspective on it, and coming to terms with it' I noticed what works best for me is trying to better understand it. I find another layer to the problem that is not so emotionally averse and analyze it from there. In this case I would probably apply surrogate points to the story and see how it could've been prevented, stopped or how the justice system could've handled it appropriately. What this also does is create other versions of the story that are less emotional and easy to reach.

I hope this helps mate, your OCD-self diagnosed friend Senshi learned to fight intrusive thoughts this way.
PM me if you know where this is from "...knees in the breeze" and don't look it up!!
(April 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I just ran across this horrible story about Sylvia Likens that happened in the 1960's. It was squicky and wrong, and the woman responsible for her torture and death got off way easier than she should have.

What do you do when you read something that makes you feel wrong inside, and you need something to get it out of your head so you can return to the better mood you were in before you knew about it?

I know we have enough things happening today that warrant more attention than things that happened 50+ years ago, but it makes me a little sick inside anyway.

I was just reading a page from TV Tropes about audience alienating premises. A movie based on this story was mentioned that squicked people out, and it was toned down from what Gertrude really did.

I read cat rescue stories and videos.

SOmetimes you need to just switch off with brainfluff.
Dying to live, living to die.
It's like in the witch trials. When someone accuses you of being a witch, they've already made up their minds. So they torture you for information. That's the kind of mindset this bitch had. She wasn't a prostitute, but so what if she was? Notify her parents or the police. She knew what she was doing was wrong, because she tried to make up a fake story about Sylvia running away.

It just boggles the mind. Bless her sister's heart too, she tried to help without being put in the same situation herself. I'd like to think I would have done something physical to save my sister, but I won't judge the sister for being too scared. Especially since at least some other members of the family were in on it.

It's just a scary thing to know that there are people out there like that. It makes me wonder how you can find selfless people out there who will help people to their own detriment, sharing a planet with psychos like this.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

Nothing I read makes me feel wrong inside. Rather I have a morbid curiosity about such things. I will look up the details on this tomorrow while I'm bored at work.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(April 23, 2014 at 11:07 pm)Rahul Wrote: Nothing I read makes me feel wrong inside. Rather I have a morbid curiosity about such things. I will look up the details on this tomorrow while I'm bored at work.

If you wish. I didn't leave links in case others didn't want to need brain bleach too, but just look up Sylvia Likens. That will likely get you there.

"Acceptance" is pushed pretty hard at 12 Steppers, and it's been difficult. I'm probably a 99th percentile AA in the category of either doing it the hard way, or just not doing it at all and making it work regardless.

(yeah, square peg thing again)

There is a scene in an obscure movie called "King of the Ants" were the protagonist is tortured horrifically to either induce him to reveal a secret, or to cause sufficient brain damage he will no longer know the secret.

At some point during his torture, he starts cooperating with his torturers and prepares himself for another session of graphic violence.

I've considered that scene a metaphor for my journey in sobriety . . .

(kids, don't try this at home)
(April 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm)Chad32 Wrote: What do you do when you read something that makes you feel wrong inside, and you need something to get it out of your head so you can return to the better mood you were in before you knew about it?

I compartmentalize.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm)Chad32 Wrote: What do you do when you read something that makes you feel wrong inside, and you need something to get it out of your head so you can return to the better mood you were in before you knew about it?

Alcohol helps.
I go on living. I'd read about that case a few years back. Crime Library has a brutally specific and detailed breakdown of the case; if that isn't the one you read, you probably won't want to. It also explains how pathetically lenient the punishment was for just about everyone involved. You are left wondering what would drive anyone to do such terrifying things to another person, or allow it to happen, as well as realizing the disturbing truth that such types of people can exist.

But we're built to carry on, and the human ability to get over such things (at least, if we have not experienced them personally, or been close to someone who did) is pretty remarkable. Keep living your life, it's the best way to appreciate what you have (and what others, sometimes, are tragically denied).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 794 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  I'll need some help with this. notimportant1234 26 1832 March 10, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I Need Some Help BrianSoddingBoru4 7 1171 March 1, 2018 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Brain Frying, IT, Stalkers WinterHold 26 3390 January 24, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  I need some good first date questions Seraphina 86 10354 October 5, 2017 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I need to blow off some steam NuclearEnergy 9 1176 June 26, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Need some help with my contribution to a Tapas menu. Whateverist 17 2241 December 11, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Weird brain shenanigans Longhorn 29 3578 August 30, 2015 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  I need some help InsomniacMike486 4 1013 August 6, 2015 at 7:53 am
Last Post: brewer
  Some people need weed. Lemonvariable72 29 4236 July 6, 2015 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Razzle