Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damned Druids
Damned Druids
Druid sentenced for child rape

Excerpt:

“He convinced her that she should keep their relationship a secret, and that the sexual acts were part of a Druid religion where they were pleasing the Goddess, Epona,” Detective Laura Price wrote in her report.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Damned Druids
He did this to the little girl for 9 years, and only received 12 years? He should have gotten life without parole. Sad
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I've just read the article and noticed something about the headline.

Island County judge rejects plea bargain for ‘Druid’ child rapist

Note how it's written as 'Druid', not Druid. Single or double quotation marks used in this way have a particular meaning.

Quotation Marks (speech) marks to indicate alleged or so-called

Quote:Use Quotation Marks to Denote So-Called or Alleged
Quotation marks can be used to denote the idea of so-called, alleged, or supposed.

Examples:

Peter's "mates" left him on the path to die.
(so-called mates)
Using his father's equipment, Alexander found over 50,000 bacteria on a "clean" chopping
board.
(so-called clean)
The sheep were noticeably stressed. It must've been a very big "cat."
(In this example, the quotation marks play two roles. They show a quotation of somebody who claimed the culprit was a cat and also allude to the idea of a so-called cat.)

He claimed to be a Druid in order to deceive a child but the quotation marks suggest that readers aren't supposed to jump to conclusions about the followers of the modern Druid religion.

Ancient Order of Druids In America
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Quote:He claimed to be a Druid in order to deceive a child but the quotation marks suggest that readers aren't supposed to jump to conclusions about the followers of the modern Druid religion.

Given the track record of religionists of all franchises, I'll jump to any conclusions I damned well please.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 25, 2014 at 6:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Given the track record of religionists of all franchises, I'll jump to any conclusions I damned well please.

Even though that means ignoring what the headline is actually saying? If he'd been a real follower of the modern day Druid religion I'm sure the report would have supplied details. After all it told us that he's a 53-year-old former Oak Harbor resident, a bearded carnival worker and former member of the Navy.

What would you think in the following scenario? -

1: A headline says - Island County judge rejects plea bargain for ‘Atheist’ child rapist.

2: The report says that the rapist convinced a child that sexual abuse wasn't a sin because God and Hell don't exist.

3: You saw a forum topic about the report with the title 'Damned Atheists'.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(April 25, 2014 at 7:29 pm)Confused Ape Wrote:
(April 25, 2014 at 6:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Given the track record of religionists of all franchises, I'll jump to any conclusions I damned well please.

Even though that means ignoring what the headline is actually saying? If he'd been a real follower of the modern day Druid religion I'm sure the report would have supplied details. After all it told us that he's a 53-year-old former Oak Harbor resident, a bearded carnival worker and former member of the Navy.

What would you think in the following scenario? -

1: A headline says - Island County judge rejects plea bargain for ‘Atheist’ child rapist.

2: The report says that the rapist convinced a child that sexual abuse wasn't a sin because God and Hell don't exist.

3: You saw a forum topic about the report with the title 'Damned Atheists'.

I would jump to the conclusion that the author of all three was trying to put across the notion that the perpetrator in question wasn't really an atheist, but was shamming atheism in order to facilitate the rape of a child.

CA, I didn't say you were wrong, I said I'll jump to whatever conclusions I like.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Druids Mr Tambourine Man 18 6461 October 7, 2010 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Rika