Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me with this personal challenge
Please help me with this personal challenge
I came to understand a problem that I knew existed, but was unaware of the degree to which existed. During my philosophy class we discussed religion. The problem is theist typically do not think deeply or ever seem to question their own beliefs. When they are presented with questions they seem to freeze unable to find an answer. This leads to answers such as "God works in mysterious ways." That is unacceptable to a person who does not have faith.

I want your help. I need questions to answer and a response to the answer in order to be aware of any flaws in it. Since most of who I know believe in God I can not get this from them. Ask me questions about God or religion, understanding I am a christian.

Don't worry about offending me with the question or response to my answer. Ask any question you want I will try my best to answer it in a logical way.

email me your questions at <SNIP>
RE: Please help me with this personal challenge
Well, putting your e-mail address up there just seems to be asking for trouble.

Why not have the discussion here?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Let's see... I'll start by asking for some compelling evidence your god exists.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Why did god need to send himself to earth to kill himself to absolve everyone of an inherited sin inflicted by a talking snake?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 27, 2014 at 11:23 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: Why did god need to send himself to earth to kill himself to absolve everyone of an inherited sin inflicted by a talking snake?

It wasn't even inflicted by the snake. It was inflicted by the guy that's going to send you to hell if you don't beg forgiveness for something you have no control over. Also don't accept any claim that people choose to go to hell. That's like someone choosing to get stabbed because they refused to hand money over to a mugger. That's not the kind of thing that should hold up in court.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't think that's fair. Atheists are no more or less likely to challenge their beliefs any more than theists.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(April 27, 2014 at 11:51 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I don't think that's fair. Atheists are no more or less likely to challenge their beliefs any more than theists.

Really? Most theist I know go out of their way to avoid challenges to their beliefs.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Most people in most circumstances go out of their way to avoid challenging their beliefs. Humans don't tend to like rocking the boat.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(April 28, 2014 at 12:05 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Most people in most circumstances go out of their way to avoid challenging their beliefs. Humans don't tend to like rocking the boat.

Hmm....Thinking

I'm going to have to start paying more attention to myself. I thought I liked having my beliefs challenged. Especially by people who I consider to be way smarter than myself, but maybe I do avoid it more than I realize.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
You may very well enjoy it, for all I know. I'm speaking generally. Smile Of course, we very often miss how often we dismiss other people's viewpoints out of hand, whether due to pragmatism or disinterest.
-George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18700 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24379 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2513 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14374 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  A challenge for any Atheist who been here for a long time! Mystic 36 4700 January 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: comet
  A challenge! Mystic 87 8493 January 10, 2017 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A challenge! Mystic 3 924 January 3, 2017 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  A Challenge to You All: Prove I'm not God FebruaryOfReason 40 6189 February 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5382 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Please correct me where I am wrong Won2blv 35 6717 May 21, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Aractus