Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obese Epidemic: Political, Economic and Scientific
Obese Epidemic: Political, Economic and Scientific
So, I was informed in my last thread that obesity is not a true epidemic.

Well this would be true if it was controllable, however there are three forces that interact to make it a truly uncontrollable trend.

There are two documentary series that explain quite well the theories behind how obesity has happened:

1. "The Skinny on Obesity":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0zD1gj0pXk

2. "The Men Who Made Us Fat":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ

There are three areas that have been affected. The first is political: as mentioned in the series "the men who made us fat" - we once were opposed to snacking, and the food industry expanded into leading consumers to consume food at new times of the day. This has only recently happened in other countries like India and China, which is why they're playing obesity catch-up to us in Australia, the USA and the UK. This is a cultural change, and a shift in family politics, or if you prefer, family nutrition values.

The second is economic. As is well known, but also talked about in "the men who made us fat", up-selling is a very important method used by takeaways and supermarkets to sell people more food than they want or need to consume.

The third is scientific. Foods that are high in fat, salt and sugar can be addictive, and this is well known. When you consume these types of food dopamine is released in your brain, and that keeps you chasing the dragon just like heroin addicts. This is why it's difficult to put down snack foods without over-consuming them. This is why Coke has added salt - if Coke is supposed to quench your thirst why does Coca Cola add salt to it? The answer is because it keeps you getting thirsty whilst also giving you a sugar-high and releasing dopamine when you drink it.

As Dr. Robert Lustig says, there is an epidemic of obese 6-month olds (in the USA) and if you're going to claim that obesity is not an epidemic or that it only affects "gluttons and sloths", then how do you explain how more 6-month olds are becoming obese?

This fact is one of the things that made me realize that obesity is not the result of a "lazy lifestyle" because so many people are working desk-jobs. If that's true then how come people in the 60's and 70's working desk jobs weren't obese at anywhere near the rate that they are now?

It is physically impossible to burn off all the calories consumed in our western society. The average man needs 2500 calories per day, the average woman needs 2000 calories per day. Yet in 1999-2000, the number of calories available per person per day in the USA reached 3,900 (link), and that represented a 20% increase in available calories from 1982 to 2000. In the same period, Americans consumed less read meat and eggs, but more poultry and fish.

Much of the 3,900 available calories per person per day in the USA ends up as wastage, that's true. However, those extra 650 calories per person, that didn't exist in 1982, are not all going to end up as wastage, if they were they wouldn't be produced in the first place. Many of those foods are highly-processed non-perishables.

The food industry has made claims we should be sceptical about: claims that children need to exercise more (there's research done showing that children do not exercise less than they did 30 years ago, but where's their research showing that children do exercise less?) or that snack foods are not designed for over consuming (how come you can't re-seal the large share/multi-serve potato chips and Doritos if they're not meant to be consumed all at once?), or that Wollies/Coles/Supermarkets don't deliberately make an environment rich for over consuming (why do they always have multi-buy discounts on the high fat, high salt, high sugar snack foods?) Why did they oppose the "traffic light system" (tested all over the world, and as mentioned in the documentary has been found to be the system that consumers prefer over the thumbnail system that the food industries prefer)?

If we all stopped over consuming food this very instant it would have a very real flow-on economic effect. On a larger scale this affects entire industries, it affects communities, it's become integral to society, it becomes very political. Just imagine the economic effect of having 20% less food available. Thousands of people would lose their food-sector jobs, that's a political factor.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Obese Epidemic: Political, Economic and Scientific
I must be from another planet Daniel. Our household hates 'Coke' barely eats 'snack-foods' (we are talking chips/crisps, salted nuts, crackers, 'sweet-treats' like cream buns and other bakery "comfort food" and 'Lollies'? Forget it, we are LUCKY to go through a 500g block of dairy milk chocolate in two weeks.... it may end up about a month.

And yet we are still 'overweight' according to WHO.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 29, 2014 at 3:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I must be from another planet Daniel. Our household hates 'Coke' barely eats 'snack-foods' (we are talking chips/crisps, salted nuts, crackers, 'sweet-treats' like cream buns and other bakery "comfort food" and 'Lollies'? Forget it, we are LUCKY to go through a 500g block of dairy milk chocolate in two weeks.... it may end up about a month.

I must be from another planet, because the question as stated in one of those doco's is why is anyone not overweight in a society geared towards overconsumption? Also, as Dr. Robert Lustig puts it, if you want to loose weight you are forcing your body to experience starvation. When you're hungry you eat, you get a release of dopamine and leptin. If you don't eat, your body experiences starvation as it converts body mass (typically fat or muscle) to energy. Most people don't want to endure that. Thus something like 80% of people who go the surgical rout for weight loss (gastric bypass, lap band) end up regaining some or all of the weight they lost.

David Elmore Smith (lost weight through training, not surgery - but he did have surgery to remove excess skin):

Weight Loss (2003-2009):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYr1cCBghFY

Weight Gain (2009-2012):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFMpNjEvxc

Weight Loss (Dec. 2012-Apr 2014): 200lbs (as reported on his facebook page).
Anyway, Kichi, you can get fat over consuming any food it doesn't have to be sweets or snacks. Going to McDonald's and ordering a Big Mac is certainly healthier than ordering a Big Mac meal with fries and a coke. But McD's just like everywhere else want the up-sale and their menu is deliberately geared towards it. Having a few glasses of wine adds up as well - at about 130 calories a glass (small glass). So just two glasses of wine a day could equal 1/2 pound gain in fat over the course of a week.

Over consuming is great for business!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
My personal opinion is that the problem is eating too many carbohydrates in combination with not moving enough.
That's what makes people fat, I think.

You are in error there Sven.

Watch the videos.

(April 29, 2014 at 6:39 am)Aractus Wrote:
(April 29, 2014 at 3:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I must be from another planet Daniel. Our household hates 'Coke' barely eats 'snack-foods' (we are talking chips/crisps, salted nuts, crackers, 'sweet-treats' like cream buns and other bakery "comfort food" and 'Lollies'? Forget it, we are LUCKY to go through a 500g block of dairy milk chocolate in two weeks.... it may end up about a month.

I must be from another planet, because the question as stated in one of those doco's is why is anyone not overweight in a society geared towards overconsumption? Also, as Dr. Robert Lustig puts it, if you want to loose weight you are forcing your body to experience starvation. When you're hungry you eat, you get a release of dopamine and leptin. If you don't eat, your body experiences starvation as it converts body mass (typically fat or muscle) to energy. Most people don't want to endure that. Thus something like 80% of people who go the surgical rout for weight loss (gastric bypass, lap band) end up regaining some or all of the weight they lost.

David Elmore Smith (lost weight through training, not surgery - but he did have surgery to remove excess skin):

Weight Loss (2003-2009):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYr1cCBghFY

Weight Gain (2009-2012):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFMpNjEvxc

Weight Loss (Dec. 2012-Apr 2014): 200lbs (as reported on his facebook page).
Anyway, Kichi, you can get fat over consuming any food it doesn't have to be sweets or snacks. Going to McDonald's and ordering a Big Mac is certainly healthier than ordering a Big Mac meal with fries and a coke. But McD's just like everywhere else want the up-sale and their menu is deliberately geared towards it. Having a few glasses of wine adds up as well - at about 130 calories a glass (small glass). So just two glasses of wine a day could equal 1/2 pound gain in fat over the course of a week.

Over consuming is great for business!

You seem to be missing the thrust of those videos you posted.

4 glasses of wine a day and I am losing weight!

Dunno go figure that out.

Pity religion is not evaluated this way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWnbMnnLo...re&index=7
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 29, 2014 at 6:46 am)sven Wrote: My personal opinion is that the problem is eating too many carbohydrates in combination with not moving enough.
That's what makes people fat, I think.

That's what the food industry wants you to think. Exercise won't move that many calories, you have to limit your input.
It's true. We're psychologically hooked on food that is terrible for us, and the food industry exploits us. But ultimately, the people have to want to change. After I turned thirty, I lost some of my super-metabolism I had enjoyed previously and gained twenty pounds. After a few years of this, I got tired of getting slightly winded going up stairs and watching my stomach grow, so I've been exercising and trying to eat better. The eating better period took quite a while to adjust to. I do love fruits and such, but it was hard just giving up junk food cold turkey. It's been a while since I started and I have just about stop eating crap entirely.

My point is, and I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, you are totally right, Daniel. Much of the population's brains are hooked on shitty food. I think some people deny this, however, because it makes them feel less in control about their eating habits and their life in general, and the desire to feel in control can be powerful.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Seriously

Watch ALL the videos in the two first posted videos
I don't tend to watch videos over thirty seconds here.

I have no attention span on this forum. Smile
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
They take a long time to say very little IMHO.

Mass produced corn > corn syrup > pretty much all that's in fast food
Sugar/fructose > worse than fat
Food industry denial and propaganda

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Different Economic and Political Systems Mechaghostman2 0 210 February 18, 2019 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 1783 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Political Test account_inactive 179 14633 November 24, 2016 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  political satire ignoramus 0 697 January 13, 2016 at 6:58 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  GOP Political suicide and you dyresand 14 2623 June 30, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Political Correctness piterski123 32 5354 June 27, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Political Correctness Run Amok Minimalist 18 20914 June 1, 2013 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Obese Teenage Americans have low I.Q. JohnDG 2 1390 September 5, 2012 at 8:31 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Political Correctness Gone Mad? Kyuuketsuki 47 20159 August 30, 2009 at 9:33 am
Last Post: bozo
  Economic depression Giff 4 2644 January 21, 2009 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Jason Jarred