Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantum Field Theory Made Easy
Quantum Field Theory Made Easy
Just posted another blog, The Essential Quantum Field Theory. Needless to say, QFT is perhaps the greatest accomplishment of the human mind. Just about everything that smells electronics owes its existence to this theory.

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy.
RE: Quantum Field Theory Made Easy
(April 29, 2014 at 7:48 am)little_monkey Wrote: Just posted another blog, The Essential Quantum Field Theory. Needless to say, QFT is perhaps the greatest accomplishment of the human mind. Just about everything that smells electronics owes its existence to this theory.

Enjoy.

Who is your target audience?

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Primarily, 1st and 2nd year university students in a physics program, and also anyone with a science degree.
QFT is the shit... duh. Tongue

What're your thoughts on the Quantum Eternity Theorem? I'm not sure if that's the actual name of the theorem, but that's what theoretical physicist/cosmologist Sean Carroll called it in his [excellent] debate against William Craig. Which Carroll one by the way, if you're interested in seeing someone clearly beat Craig on both the science and the philosophy. Smile
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(April 29, 2014 at 12:24 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: QFT is the shit... duh. Tongue

What're your thoughts on the Quantum Eternity Theorem? I'm not sure if that's the actual name of the theorem, but that's what theoretical physicist/cosmologist Sean Carroll called it in his [excellent] debate against William Craig. Which Carroll one by the way, if you're interested in seeing someone clearly beat Craig on both the science and the philosophy. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qKZqPy9T8

It's worth watching.
(April 29, 2014 at 7:48 am)little_monkey Wrote: Just posted another blog, The Essential Quantum Field Theory. Needless to say, QFT is perhaps the greatest accomplishment of the human mind. Just about everything that smells electronics owes its existence to this theory.

Enjoy.

I read the entire blog post, Joseph, and I have to say, you make it clearer than most. I got through the first three paragraphs before things went fuzzy and my brain started to beat faster. Not your fault - that's what happens when a history major tries to get a handle on physics.

Good job, though. I mean as far as I can tell.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Who's your audience?

If it's meant for science undergrads-- looks good. If it's meant for laypeople, I think you need to reduce the numbers down to more basic concepts. Once you pulled out the math, I had no way to know what ideas you were referring to.
(April 29, 2014 at 9:17 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Who's your audience?

If it's meant for science undergrads-- looks good. If it's meant for laypeople, I think you need to reduce the numbers down to more basic concepts. Once you pulled out the math, I had no way to know what ideas you were referring to.

I should stress that before doing QFT, a good review on QM would help. That I have covered in:

The Essential Quantum Mechanics and Harmonic Oscillators, Vacuum Energy, Pauli Exclusion Principle

Hope that helps

(April 29, 2014 at 6:11 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(April 29, 2014 at 12:24 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: QFT is the shit... duh. Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qKZqPy9T8

It's worth watching.

I haven't watched that video but I have come across WLC's argument on "infinity as potential" and "infinity as actual". Let me make a quick rebuttal: physicists don't care about that. Whenever we do a derivative or an integral, we don't make that distinction between these two. So basically, WLC is rejecting everything that was ever done in science since Newton and Leibnitz invented calculus.
@little_monkey
The video benny posted is a good debate that Craig, in my opinion, looses to physicist Sean Carroll. Trust me, Carroll's stuff in the debate is right up your alley. Smile
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
When I have the time, I'll take a look at that video.

Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does God have in common with String Theory? LinuxGal 2 771 December 30, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Magnetar - intense magnetic field - Cool toy Ferrocyanide 4 530 February 23, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy? vulcanlogician 28 2201 August 7, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3729 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery ignoramus 20 2807 December 9, 2018 at 6:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 812 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1858 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4904 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1600 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 655 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope