Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Atheism proper include scepticism?
Should Atheism proper include scepticism?
There is no god.
Sceptical? If so:
1. What is the use of assigning an element of doubt based on a so-called possibility?
2. Is this some sort of friendly acceptance to those who believe?
3. How can you trully call yourself an atheist?
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: Should Atheism proper include scepticism?
(December 28, 2009 at 9:33 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: There is no god.
Sceptical? If so:
1. What is the use of assigning an element of doubt based on a so-called possibility?

It's called intellectual honesty. I am as sure a god doesn't exist as I am sure pixies do not exist, or the Loch Ness monster doesn't exist, but I cannot 100% disprove any of these claims.

(December 28, 2009 at 9:33 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: 2. Is this some sort of friendly acceptance to those who believe?
No, see 1.

(December 28, 2009 at 9:33 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: 3. How can you trully call yourself an atheist?
Because disbelief <> Belief in the negative.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 29, 2009 at 5:04 am)leo-rcc Wrote: 1.
It's called intellectual honesty. I am as sure a god doesn't exist as I am sure pixies do not exist, or the Loch Ness monster doesn't exist, but I cannot 100% disprove any of these claims.

No, see 1.

Because disbelief <> Belief in the negative.

That reasoning sounds more like skepticism than it does atheism to me.

If there were an acceptable method for proving something's nonexistance, And that method proved the non existance of "god", would you still be skeptical and doubt the reliability of the method?
Or would that evidence compel you to change your stance on the topic?
Where do you get the idea that atheism is not skepticism?

Should evidence present itself one way or the other, then yes I would dismiss with the uncertainty. Can you provide such evidence?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 29, 2009 at 5:18 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Where do you get the idea that atheism is not skepticism?

Should evidence present itself one way or the other, then yes I would dismiss with the uncertainty. Can you provide such evidence?
I would be willing to oblige 'such evidence' in provisional content, if you're willing to endure the dialogue.
Go right ahead.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
By definition, any possibility should have an element of doubt attached. Just because somethings are possible doesn't mean they are all true, hence skepticism is needed.
Cool.
I'll try to keep the posts in a manageable length to idea ratio.
Lets start by narrowing down the concept of "god".
Completely discluding religious based god, religion of any kind and stick to the one main argument, that of the existance of an intelligent force called "god".

Next is the false belief that humans have some sort of central importance.

I want to elliminate additional problems by containing the argument, that's all.
(December 29, 2009 at 6:01 am)Tiberius Wrote: By definition, any possibility should have an element of doubt attached. Just because somethings are possible doesn't mean they are all true, hence skepticism is needed.
Possibilty varies so widely.
Possibilities are invented to explain the cause of something else when that cause is unknown.
Theorists use possibilties when attempting to form hypothesis and those hypothesis are tested out in different contexts. If the hypothesis withstands the testing process it becomes a working hypothesis.
This is where the element of doubt comes into play.
Because the theory has been invented it can also be falsified by an improved theory, or better way of seeing the original problem, if you like.
(December 29, 2009 at 6:03 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: Cool.
I'll try to keep the posts in a manageable length to idea ratio.
Lets start by narrowing down the concept of "god".

(December 29, 2009 at 6:03 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: Completely discluding religious based god, religion of any kind and stick to the one main argument, that of the existance of an intelligent force called "god".
Okay, let's go with that one.

(December 29, 2009 at 6:03 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: Next is the false belief that humans have some sort of central importance.

How do you know this is false, what evidence do you have of that?

(December 29, 2009 at 6:03 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: I want to elliminate additional problems by containing the argument, that's all.

Agreed.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
I echo Leo's objection. How do you know we don't have a central importance?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 842 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160331 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27106 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3647 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Proper response matasteme 16 4127 November 18, 2013 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  atheism making me more depresesd, what should i do? leodeo 43 14711 October 24, 2013 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda