Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is atheism a belief system in someway?
Is atheism a belief system in someway?
I know this probably sounds like a dumb question but I confused myself a bit. I am an agnostic atheist. But I get confused with the different wordings of my view.
Here is what I've heard said before:

I don't claim to know if God exist or not. But I believe God does not exist.

I don't claim to known if God exist or not. But I don't believe God exist.

Am I just wording it wrong or are they the same thing? Can someone explain this to me?
RE: Is atheism a belief system in someway?
All you need to do to establish atheism is a belief system is to find two beliefs all atheists agree on because they're atheists.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Sound like the same thing to me, although I've never heard of an agnostic atheist.
Agnosticism has to do with knowledge. So that statement would be: I don't know if a deity exists.

Atheism has to do with belief, so that statement would be: I don't believe a deity exists or I believe a deity does not exist.

(May 2, 2014 at 11:43 am)Elskidor Wrote: Sound like the same thing to me, although I've never heard of an agnostic atheist.

The majority of atheists is agnostic atheists. You haven't done much reading around the forum, have you?
(May 2, 2014 at 11:43 am)Elskidor Wrote: Sound like the same thing to me, although I've never heard of an agnostic atheist.
Technically, most atheists are agnostic atheists.
Gnostic atheists, while they do exist, are a rare breed.
(May 2, 2014 at 11:35 am)Doggey75 Wrote: I don't claim to know if God exist or not. But I believe God does not exist.

Am I just wording it wrong or are they the same thing? Can someone explain this to me?

The first sentence isn't atheism. Period.

The second sentence doesn't need the word "But" in there.

99% of the atheists on here are agnostic atheists.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(May 2, 2014 at 11:45 am)LostLocke Wrote:
Technically, most atheists are agnostic atheists.
Gnostic atheists, while they do exist, are a rare breed.

I've just never heard of the term, granted I have never really talked to other atheists until two days ago really. I've always just used the broad term atheist. That makes sense.

You haven't been here long. Almoat all the atheists here are agnostic atheists.

(May 2, 2014 at 11:47 am)Napoléon Wrote: The first sentence isn't atheism. Period.

Sure it is. If you believe God doesn't exist, you're an atheist. It's just that people who would say that don't comprise the majority of atheists.

(May 2, 2014 at 11:35 am)Doggey75 Wrote: I don't claim to know if God exist or not. But I believe God does not exist.

It's a subtle difference. The person saying the first sentence holds it to be true that God does not exist. This is a stronger statement than the second one, which merely does not hold it to be true that God does exist.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Honestly, I tend not to buy what most of my fellow atheists say about atheism in regards to this.

(May 2, 2014 at 11:42 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: All you need to do to establish atheism is a belief system is to find two beliefs all atheists agree on because they're atheists.

Well okay. All atheists agree that the following is true of themselves:

"I do not believe in the existence of gods."

Checkmate atheists? Wink
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 5946 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5380 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 76984 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5095 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 21644 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 157571 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26877 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1659 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 351522 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Is Lack of Belief the Best You Can Do? Neo-Scholastic 259 35529 April 3, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: robvalue