Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:37 am

Poll: Have you participated in a formal debate?
This poll is closed.
yes
21.74%
5 21.74%
no
78.26%
18 78.26%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many atheists
How many atheists
no it's not a joke. Just a poll. How many (edit word removed) atheists on this forum participated in some form of organized debate program held by an educational assembly in their lives?
RE: How many atheists
Why is that relevant?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
I've done a couple at my university.
It's not relevant to any discussion just personal curiosity. Not every theist has some deep and dark design on controlling your life Big Grin
I never have and have no interest in doing so. I see no need to do it.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Quote: How many professed atheists on this forum participated in some form of organized debate program held by an educational assembly in their lives?

Professed? Why the qualification? Are you suggesting some people here are not REAL atheists? Did we have an election and vote you the person who decides?

Yes,I've been involved in formal debating,but not since my teens. I didn't really begin to learn to reason properly until I read Plato in my late 20's. I'm still learning.

I long since abandoned the notion that winning an argument is necessarily connected to truth.

Debating is a fun skill which can be learned but is little value in learning what is or is not true---and that is what polemicists such a Chris Hitchens and ,a bit further down the food chain, Pat Condell,are doing. (hint:pay attention to bald assertions and sweeping generalisations)

I don't argue in depth nor debate on forums.Forums are platforms for mental masturbation. I also get to irritate and insult a vast range of dropkicks,arseholes and mental defectives.(largely members of the lunar religious right and Libertarians)Angel Cloud
I'm glad you think of me as a mental defective, padraic Wink

If you're speaking as a lefty, the feeling is of course, mutual. Big Grin
(December 29, 2009 at 9:50 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote: How many professed atheists on this forum participated in some form of organized debate program held by an educational assembly in their lives?

Professed? Why the qualification? Are you suggesting some people here are not REAL atheists? Did we have an election and vote you the person who decides?

Yes,I've been involved in formal debating,but not since my teens. I didn't really begin to learn to reason properly until I read Plato in my late 20's. I'm still learning.

I long since abandoned the notion that winning an argument is necessarily connected to truth.

Debating is a fun skill which can be learned but is little value in learning what is or is not true---and that is what polemicists such a Chris Hitchens and ,a bit further down the food chain, Pat Condell,are doing. (hint:pay attention to bald assertions and sweeping generalisations)

I don't argue in depth nor debate on forums.Forums are platforms for mental masturbation. I also get to irritate and insult a vast range of dropkicks,arseholes and mental defectives.(largely members of the lunar religious right and Libertarians)Angel Cloud

I suggest nothing of the sort. There was no need for it, so it's been removed. I don't think I would be voted anything on this forum except possible biggest loon.
(December 29, 2009 at 8:26 am)tackattack Wrote: Not every theist has some deep and dark design on controlling your life Big Grin
I did not imply that. And I know a lot of theists struggling to get a grip on their own life for starters. I love your deep and dark design though. Is it intelligent? Wink
(December 29, 2009 at 9:50 pm)padraic Wrote: Forums are platforms for mental masturbation.
Please use some tissues to clean up after you're done.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(December 30, 2009 at 12:10 am)Tiberius Wrote: I'm glad you think of me as a mental defective, padraic Wink
Big Grin

Don't flatter yourself Sunshine.Cool Shades
Quote:I don't think I would be voted anything on this forum except possible biggest loon.

Yet another one with delusions of adequacy.Mate you're not that interesting. You don't hold a candle to Pippy or Frodo.Angel Cloud

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5188 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2284 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7006 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6188 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2196 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17132 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8787 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Why I'm an atheist, a point of confusion for many theists Asmodee 28 5486 December 21, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? ketameankitty 887 160710 December 4, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time? MattB 52 9690 July 18, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger