Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The arrogance of modesty
The arrogance of modesty
Does anyone else get a holier than thou vibe off of people who wear religious garb?
RE: The arrogance of modesty
(May 2, 2014 at 2:00 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Does anyone else get a holier than thou vibe off of people who wear religious garb?

Yes, but it doesn't bother me. People who wear religious garb ARE holier than I am. I'm ok with that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not really. Granted, I'm rather a dense person in terms of picking stuff like that up unless it's blatant.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
I mostly get the vibe from the mennonites in the Amish, a good chunk of the orthodox Jews, and some of the more traditional Muslims. But maybe I'm just paranoid.
The arrogance of modesty
The type of people who go around saying "Well, I'm Christian, and we Christians do not partake in _______" like Christianity is something you've never heard of before deserve a swift punch to the genitals.
(May 2, 2014 at 4:32 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: The type of people who go around saying "Well, I'm Christian, and we Christians do not partake in _______" like Christianity is something you've never heard of before deserve a swift punch to the genitals.
Exactly
This is the kind of modesty that annoys me:

I was wondering why one of the shadow demon thingies from the movie Ghost was carrying a handbag.
(May 2, 2014 at 5:01 pm)Napoléon Wrote: This is the kind of modesty that annoys me:

Yep! Usually the only thing I'm thinking when someone points something like that out is "you're not some super special person that needs covering!"
The arrogance of modesty
There's a Sikah who works at a local convenience store (I know, stereotype, but true) who of course wears a turban, with the ceremonial dagger wrapped inside. Nice guy. I have a lot of respect for Sikhism, as they're historically very respectful of women, and seem to generally have an easygoing, pleasant outlook.

Anyway, sometime after 9-11, some idiot walked in one night and started telling him to "Go back to Afghanistan," and a bunch of other garbage that need not be repeated here. Before long, I turned around and said "He's INDIAN, you inbred redneck. Turn off Fox News and open a book once in a while."

That said, any time I see a woman wearing a partial Burka, or the headdress, it makes me cringe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The supreme arrogance of religious thinking little_monkey 38 17339 October 17, 2010 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The arrogance of theists Darwinian 10 4148 September 8, 2009 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Arrogance Samson 3 1884 June 6, 2009 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Samson