Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh, gosh, I'm going to have to be honest with my siser
Oh, gosh, I'm going to have to be honest with my siser
She had informed me that she was writing a book. Although not a fundamentalist, she is quite religious, and she made certain to mention being Christian, reading the bible and loving god practically every other sentence in the beginning writing that she sent me via email.

I am going to have to be honest with her that the only people who will buy her book are going to be other Christians because most people do not want to read religious devotions throughout a ficition novel.

She knows I am an atheist, so hopefully she takes my criticism to heart without getting upset.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Oh, gosh, I'm going to have to be honest with my siser
They never do seem to tire of prostrating themselves to their invisible sky-daddy, do they?

I consider it a character flaw.
Yeah, tell her if she is going to brag about prostrating herself before a sky daddy, at least find a better sort of sky daddy first.
It's good to get criticism, just be diplomatic about it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
She needs the criticism, there's enough damn religious books in the world. Encourage her to study up on Science and write about that if she has good writing skills. That will likely curb her religious writing (and hopefully thinking).
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
(May 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I am going to have to be honest with her that the only people who will buy her book are going to be other Christians because most people do not want to read religious devotions throughout a ficition novel.
If she's in the US or plans on marketing it here, that's not a problem, and in fact can be a good thing. There's a big market for it.
(May 5, 2014 at 9:02 am)alpha male Wrote:
(May 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I am going to have to be honest with her that the only people who will buy her book are going to be other Christians because most people do not want to read religious devotions throughout a ficition novel.
If she's in the US or plans on marketing it here, that's not a problem, and in fact can be a good thing. There's a big market for it.

There's also a big market for reality TV. That doesn't mean we need more of that shit.
(May 5, 2014 at 9:02 am)alpha male Wrote:
(May 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I am going to have to be honest with her that the only people who will buy her book are going to be other Christians because most people do not want to read religious devotions throughout a fiction novel.

I agree with alpha male, she might not see that as a negative critique and there would probably be a huge market for the book. It maybe the that all that critique tells her is that you're not her target audience.

The fundy woman I know only reads religious crap like that (the latest is a book called Heaven by Randy Alcorn I saw sitting on her dining room table last Friday... Doesn't appear to be a novel but a book of biblical answers about heaven... like there are actual, real answers... pshaw. Rolleyes
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(May 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: She had informed me that she was writing a book. Although not a fundamentalist, she is quite religious, and she made certain to mention being Christian, reading the bible and loving god practically every other sentence in the beginning writing that she sent me via email.

I am going to have to be honest with her that the only people who will buy her book are going to be other Christians because most people do not want to read religious devotions throughout a ficition novel.

She knows I am an atheist, so hopefully she takes my criticism to heart without getting upset.

What sort of book is she writing? A novel? A chemistry text? A book on morals?
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(May 5, 2014 at 12:55 pm)Chas Wrote:
(May 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: She had informed me that she was writing a book. Although not a fundamentalist, she is quite religious, and she made certain to mention being Christian, reading the bible and loving god practically every other sentence in the beginning writing that she sent me via email.

What sort of book is she writing? A novel? A chemistry text? A book on morals?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going to buy a gun onlinebiker 46 2405 October 17, 2021 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Spooky
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1059 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 586 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2277 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  It's going to be a WARM winter onlinebiker 8 883 October 9, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I am going naked on here to challenge my wife to do the same. funcouple 19 1604 August 31, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are you going to let him do that? onlinebiker 4 1054 August 22, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  What's the going rate for the tooth fairy? Cod 16 1472 April 17, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Figbash
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10546 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Ya knooow, Monica smells; oh ma gosh!: implicit hate and grudge in social life WinterHold 10 1418 July 20, 2018 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4