Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think its time...
I think its time...
I have something important to say.Up until now I have only made posts that contained little substance ,mostly jokes but now its time I really engage in some real discussion.I am one by one going to post meaningful threads about important questions i would love to discuss(don't worry iam not going to post several at a time)

I really want to start persue knowledge.So here i come.
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

RE: I think its time...
It took you this long?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 3, 2014 at 4:22 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: It took you this long?

I was always afraid of looking foolish and i don't have alot of self esteem.But iam ready to put myself out there.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm 3 weeks away from 1 year on this site and I haven't even broken 1000 posts yet.
(May 3, 2014 at 4:44 am)Mothonis_Cathicgal Wrote: I was always afraid of looking foolish

Meh, I wouldn't worry. There are plenty of people who actually do look foolish but they don't seem to care. Besides, no one knows who you really are.
(May 3, 2014 at 4:44 am)Mothonis_Cathicgal Wrote: I was always afraid of looking foolish and i don't have alot of self esteem.

Everyone's going to look foolish from time to time. Here's a secret: you can build self-esteem just as effectively from those times when you are wrong, because you come to realize that being wrong isn't the end of the world (literally, in the case of some of our theistic forum members). Being wrong is when we learn the quickest, as long as we recognize that we were wrong.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 3, 2014 at 4:44 am)Mothonis_Cathicgal Wrote:
(May 3, 2014 at 4:22 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: It took you this long?

I was always afraid of looking foolish and i don't have alot of self esteem.But iam ready to put myself out there.

The hard truth is that if you fear others for picking on you in all contexts, you will only make yourself a doormat. I had no self esteem growing up and was constantly bullied as a kid and teen. It was only when I said "fuck it" and either stood up to them or ignored them, that I started to value myself.

You cant control what others say about you, you can control how you react to them.
You know what the biggest builders of self esteem and self image are for me, Mothonis? (can I call you Mothonis?) Knowledge and practice. Read books that challenge you, learn some skills that make you happy, practice doing the things that you want to be better at.

When I feel like I am the most knowledgeable and competent person in the room, I feel like the most confident person in the room.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Looking foolish has a very short shelf life. You'll remember and worry about it long after everyone else has forgotten.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 3, 2014 at 7:18 am)Tonus Wrote:
(May 3, 2014 at 4:44 am)Mothonis_Cathicgal Wrote: I was always afraid of looking foolish and i don't have alot of self esteem.

Everyone's going to look foolish from time to time. Here's a secret: you can build self-esteem just as effectively from those times when you are wrong, because you come to realize that being wrong isn't the end of the world (literally, in the case of some of our theistic forum members). Being wrong is when we learn the quickest, as long as we recognize that we were wrong.

I agree with you completely a few years ago i had learned that which is why i was able to leave Christanity and become a rationalist

(May 3, 2014 at 10:21 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: You know what the biggest builders of self esteem and self image are for me, Mothonis? (can I call you Mothonis?) Knowledge and practice. Read books that challenge you, learn some skills that make you happy, practice doing the things that you want to be better at.

When I feel like I am the most knowledgeable and competent person in the room, I feel like the most confident person in the room.

Thats why I have now started studying evolutionary theory,amongst other things.To challenge myself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Once again time for how much time you've spent here Foxaèr 23 2672 April 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Its Good to Be Here Cinjin 44 2999 February 4, 2018 at 6:45 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8779 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can You Celebrate Xmas Despite its Religious Connotations? Rhondazvous 43 4714 December 24, 2016 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  AF Skype Room: Why I Miss Its Activity Edwardo Piet 16 2885 October 31, 2016 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What do men think? What do feminists think that men think? mcolafson 53 5956 September 30, 2016 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I Was Going To Put This In Fucking Cops but It Deserves Its Own Thread Minimalist 3 1471 August 14, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Its my bday dyresand 14 1466 May 19, 2015 at 11:51 am
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is When You Know Its Not Your Day Minimalist 8 1578 April 2, 2014 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  San Fransico needs to pull its socks up downbeatplumb 2 1103 September 11, 2012 at 5:35 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko