Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I`m a bad polyglot, anybody relate?
I`m a bad polyglot, anybody relate?
My nationality is not limited to a specific place, though I do consider myself being a part of a specific nation.
As a kid I traveled relatively much, and since my parents are foreigners here in the country we live in now, I speak my parents mother tongue.
I speak the language of the country I am living in now, in addition to English which was taught in school at a younger age and which my parents enforced upon me when I was child. I mustnt forget about the spanish either which was mandatory in high school.

Basically I just wanted to sum up a couple of problems I have struggled a lot with for quite some time. Because I speak one language at home with my parents, one language in college in addition to Spanish which is taught there and English generally online and everywhere else where it is redundant.

Each time I switch from one language to another, it`s like I have to reboot, and that can take time, like a slow booting of a 1980s PC. If I was to spend an entire day speaking only one language, my choice of words become much more fluent and profound, but this constant switching back and forth is bad for my social skills, writing skills, talking skills.

Anybody else that has the same problem. I talked with my brother about this who has the same problem as me, though he has french instead of spanish and this really frustrates both of us.
Do drugs, believe in people, and make them smile!
RE: I`m a bad polyglot, anybody relate?
I can barely write in cursive or tell left from right. My dyslexic brain would demolish a second language. It would be a mixture between English, second language, and a bunch of made up words my brain creates.

The other day I said "dramastically". It was a mixture of dramatically and drastically.

Occasionally I'll mix people's names up. I have friends named Rachel and Matt who are a couple and I often say "Rate and Machall". OR instead of bubble gum I'll say "gubble bum". It's embarrassing sometimes when I do it in public and people are just like.... yeah that's not a word.
(May 5, 2014 at 12:08 pm)No_God Wrote: I can barely write in cursive or tell left from right. My dyslexic brain would demolish a second language. It would be a mixture between English, second language, and a bunch of made up words my brain creates.

The other day I said "dramastically". It was a mixture of dramatically and drastically.

Occasionally I'll mix people's names up. I have friends named Rachel and Matt who are a couple and I often say "Rate and Machall". OR instead of bubble gum I'll say "gubble bum". It's embarrassing sometimes when I do it in public and people are just like.... yeah that's not a word.

Haha, "dramastically". ROFLOL
I did something similarly myself. I was telling someone something involving the word car, which at that time ended up becoming bicycle, this didnt happen in English though.
It`s ironic. Knowing multiple languages does have its good sides, but it really makes it hard for me to express myself socially and publicly way too often, and it frustrates me because I always have to ask "how do you say this and that".
Not really no. I only speak English and Greek (did French at school - mostly forgotten now).

I find I have entire conversations with people and then can't remember which language we were speaking in. We speak English primarily at home but sometimes my daughter asks a question of me in Greek and we kick off from there.

I do sometimes find I forget a word in English which is odd - but that is a recent development.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(May 5, 2014 at 1:43 pm)max-greece Wrote: Not really no. I only speak English and Greek (did French at school - mostly forgotten now).

I find I have entire conversations with people and then can't remember which language we were speaking in. We speak English primarily at home but sometimes my daughter asks a question of me in Greek and we kick off from there.

I do sometimes find I forget a word in English which is odd - but that is a recent development.

We may actually have Alzheimer. You do know that right? We may be senile and suffer from early dementia.
I speak Polish (my native language), English and a little bit of German. I watch a lot of movies in english and sometimes after a movie marathon, i can't find a proper polish words for what i wanna say, so i replace it with english words.
Sometimes it sounds kinda funny Tongue but generally i get some rest and it goes back to normal Big Grin

/edit
Also sometimes i think in english which is kinda weird too Tongue
I speak, read and write English fluently. I can speak Irish very well and read it a little bit, can't write it enough to matter. We spoke Irish at home when I was a kid, but the schools we went to taught only in English.

I also recall several useless Russian and French phrases from school. Well, maybe not complete useless - if my grandfather ever gets a green pencil box, or the cup of my aunt is on the dressing table, I'm set.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1730 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 367 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A bad day for the neighbors ... and a mystery to solve ignoramus 6 472 July 6, 2018 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Anybody else overthink the most basic shit? Kookaburra 19 2011 March 22, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6440 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Good person/bad person Catholic_Lady 82 10679 October 23, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Does Anybody Around Here Have Any Dignity? laserthought 17 1556 August 17, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Hey. Anybody wants to Skype and talk mindlessly about something? ErGingerbreadMandude 69 11789 February 24, 2017 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Joods
  Ok, anybody in the UK Cyberman 16 1030 January 1, 2017 at 6:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Vaccines both good and bad? goombah111 109 16301 December 20, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut