Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Конфликт между религиями
Конфликт между религиями
Hello I want to tell a story.
Became an atheist , I became a lot more to get involved in the history of religions , studying the Bible and other religious books of different faiths . But since he lived in Russia , I was more interested in Orthodoxy. And so it was that my partner is studying at the seminary and a deeply religious man . Needless to say, that we never stop to argue for a minute. And , during that time , as I give the evidence of cruelty and danger of Orthodoxy , he immediately refers to the cruelty of Catholicism and Islam. So he tries to get away from the topic of conversation or knock me off my thoughts .
I would be interested to know - Catholics in the United States also refer to the Orthodox or otherwise engaging in dialogue ?
Please do not pay attention to errors in the text. I do not speak english. Errors - the result of using online translator.
Thank you for understanding.
RE: Конфликт между религиями
Welcome

I live in Portugal, alot of catholics around, but around here, people tend to respect other beliefs and lack thereof. Lots of Russian and Ukrainian immigrants here, they also keep to themselves. All I know its that they celebrate Xmas on the 6th of January.
ETA: At this time its still very early in the morning in the US, probably later they will answer you.
LastPoet, Everything is fine. I'm not in a hurry.

And in our country, respect other religions. But when the Orthodox say that their religion bloody history, they translate attention to other faiths.
Please do not pay attention to errors in the text. I do not speak english. Errors - the result of using online translator.
Thank you for understanding.
(May 7, 2014 at 4:39 am)Russian atheist Wrote: Hello I want to tell a story.
Became an atheist , I became a lot more to get involved in the history of religions , studying the Bible and other religious books of different faiths . But since he lived in Russia , I was more interested in Orthodoxy.

Welcome.

Orthodoxy isn't well known here in the US but there are some members.

My wife's father's side of the family is Serbian in heritage and most of them are still members of the Orthodox Church, though my wife is an atheist and her father doesn't go to church. My wife ran into some problems with her father's side of the family at a funeral when her aunt discovered she was an atheist and felt the need to make a big scene about it. It was a good thing I wasn't there because I was so angry about it when I heard. How dare she make such a scene and put my wife on the spot at a funeral no less simply because my wife didn't believe? It was from this incident that I learned that the Orthodox can be just as fanatical as any other religion.

Russian atheist Wrote:I would be interested to know - Catholics in the United States also refer to the Orthodox or otherwise engaging in dialogue ?

You won't hear Catholics or Protestants say much on Orthodoxy. Mostly, they either condemn one another as being heretics or speak out against Islam. Since Catholicism and Protestantism are the two major brands of Christianity, it makes sense they would focus on one another as rivals. Islam has gotten a lot of attention in the US for other reasons.

How are things in Russia for the atheist? I know that religion is making a big comeback and Orthodoxy is becoming very powerful. Do you have to keep your non-belief secret? Are you afraid you may lose your job or even fear for your safety if anyone found out you don't believe?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Quote: as I give the evidence of cruelty and danger of Orthodoxy , he immediately refers to the cruelty of Catholicism and Islam.

The phrase is 'familiarity breeds contempt.' Orthodoxy is not well known although why they would be any less vindictive or cruel than any other power-grabbing religious fucks is beyond me.

Concede the point by saying "all religions are murdering bastards, how does that help orthodoxy?"
Welcome!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome. Here is your welcome seal.

[Image: 170395003.jpg]
[Image: guilmon_evolution_by_davidgtm3-d4gb5rp.gif]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Welcome Smile
Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.