Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Introduction
Hi All,

Many years ago when I was decompressing from the scientology cult I was desperate for something, anything to contrast the indoctrinated cultist programming I was subjected to.

I eventually found this forum, becoming fascinated with the discussions here. The critical thinking exhibited in particular was extremely helpful. In a cult critical thinking is the first area subdued and asking only cult filtered questions becomes the norm.

My experience here opened my eyes, took me to a place where I could start to self deprogram. I never thanked any of you so I would like to offer my gratitude wholeheartedly now. Thank you!
RE: Introduction
Welcome
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(May 8, 2014 at 12:53 am)Aractus Wrote: Welcome

Thanks Aractus. Smile
Welcome. I assume it was your misfortune to be born into that mess. Boy do you ever have a story to tell. I'm inspired that you found your way out. You know what they say about what doesn't kill us. You should wind up very strong indeed.
(May 8, 2014 at 1:57 am)whateverist Wrote: Welcome. I assume it was your misfortune to be born into that mess. Boy do you ever have a story to tell. I'm inspired that you found your way out. You know what they say about what doesn't kill us. You should wind up very strong indeed.

Almost, I was introduced as a young teen and believed in hubbard's cult most of my life. Everything and mean everything I thought and felt was through a scientology lens.

I went on the internet searching for what people thought of scientology. The cognitive dissonance was scary as hell. Hubbard wasn't some god like being, he died in hiding avoiding governments, mainly from France convicting him in absentia and Operation Snow White in which scientologists staged the largest infiltration of the U.S. government in history.

It's one hell of a paradigm shift from arrogant have all the answers to existence to realizing I've been conned. Very humbling. Scientology is the path of being dehumanized with mind control techniques that make MK-Ultra look like a tea party. Then the scientologist starts dehumanizing anyone that can't be subjugated into a scientology agenda.

I see many parallels with religious fundamentalists exerting a fanatical steamroller over anything that doesn't conform to their views. That's one aspect of scientology that is purposefully indoctrinated into it's followers, fanatical devotion.

That's what I learned here some time ago, fanaticism is blind, brutish, uncaring, unquestioning, devoid of empathy. It was a valuable lesson.
Sounds huge

Welcome
Nice to have you here! Welcome Smile
Welcome.
Why the large font?
It takes a strong and humble person to admit that they have been conned and/or the evidence no longer supports a belief they hold. Congratulations and welcome.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 721 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 954 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1942 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1337 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 3694 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2240 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 1970 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1146 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 950 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2846 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2