Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necessity is not evidence
Necessity is not evidence
Something I have noticed with the regular theists who post here is that their main concern of evidence for god's existence is that he is necessary.

That is not evidence, because god is absolutely not necessary.

If god was a veritable necessity, people would be unable to live normal lives without god.

Considering that atheists are quite capable of living perfectly normal lives without god, the necessity of god is negated.

Necessity, after all, is the oxygen we breath. Without it, we would die. We are perfectly capable of not dying without god.

God is merely the crutch to which theists cling because they have deluded (yes, there is that apt word again) themselves into thinking life is meaningless without the ruling delusion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Necessity is not evidence
Well, I think the idea is more that god is necessary for existence, but the trouble there is that theists really don't have any interest in doing more than asserting that. Like, say, demonstrating it, which their usual stops like Kalam don't pull off.

It's yet another in a long line of attempts to define god into existence by pretending reality is set up in a way that it isn't. They assert necessity, and then that's the end of the conversation: "Haven't you been listening, I said god was necessary!"

Presuppositionalists pull that trick all the time.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Typical theist special pleading - god is necessary for existence but god doesnt need one to exist because I say so.
(May 8, 2014 at 3:33 am)Kitanetos Wrote: Something I have noticed with the regular theists who post here is that their main concern of evidence for god's existence is that he is necessary.

That is not evidence, because god is absolutely not necessary.

It's just an argument from adverse consequences. To them, they can't imagine anything different, and if it were different, then it would be bad. Therefore, it's true! I guess you could also call it an argument from incredulity, too, in that sense. Since they can't comprehend anything different, they must be right!
Necessity is the mother of fuckers.
They try to argue god into existence in lieu of evidence.
At the end of the day arguments is all they have.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: They try to argue god into existence in lieu of evidence.
At the end of the day arguments claims is all they have.

Fixed it for you.

They may be argumentative, but that doesn't mean they have arguments.
I don't think any of you are understanding what theists (who understand the relevant concepts) mean when they say God is necessary. What they mean is that God cannot fail to exist for some logical reason, they are not saying something like "God has to exist because I need him too!"
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(May 9, 2014 at 1:21 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I don't think any of you are understanding what theists (who understand the relevant concepts) mean when they say God is necessary. What they mean is that God cannot fail to exist for some logical reason, they are not saying something like "God has to exist because I need him too!"

The latter is the subtext though, as the logical reasons they state ultimately fail, and yet are never retracted. As I've said many times, you can't logic something into existence, and if your whole position attempts to do an end run around demonstrability by just arguing why it's impossible for something to not exist, well then you're probably hiding a more personal reason for why you think this thing should exist.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 9, 2014 at 1:34 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(May 9, 2014 at 1:21 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I don't think any of you are understanding what theists (who understand the relevant concepts) mean when they say God is necessary. What they mean is that God cannot fail to exist for some logical reason, they are not saying something like "God has to exist because I need him too!"

The latter is the subtext though, as the logical reasons they state ultimately fail, and yet are never retracted. As I've said many times, you can't logic something into existence, and if your whole position attempts to do an end run around demonstrability by just arguing why it's impossible for something to not exist, well then you're probably hiding a more personal reason for why you think this thing should exist.
But you can prove something true about existence by applying reason to experience independent of what one hopes to find.

Your psychological speculations about believers do not apply to all. I was an atheist but reluctantly accepted the reality of God when confronted with specific philosophical problems. Just because someone reaches a different conclusion than you does not always mean they must be delutional, weak, or stupid. Maybe they're merely wrong. And just maybe you are wrong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6345 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 3912 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 13321 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2872 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9461 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 48062 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11236 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 21378 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Evidence of NDEs Jehanne 22 4395 December 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'm God. What evidence do I need to provide? robvalue 297 27372 November 16, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet