Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last movie you watched, and your critique of it
Video 
Last movie you watched, and your critique of it
I didn't know if there was a thread like this or not but there was one like this on an old forum I used to go to.

List the last movie (or movies) you watched, and what you thought about it with a rating of 1-10 (1 being the worst, you know how this works), and a trailer if you can find one. Please put anything important to the plot in spoiler tags, don't be that guy (or girl).

Oculus: 6/10-

I thought it was rather bland as far as a horror movie goes scare-wise, but that it was deserving of a 6 for originality at the very least. The characters were a little lackluster, but the plot was rather decent I thought. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good supernatural horror/plot turning film.

[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
RE: Last movie you watched, and your critique of it
Since you didn't specify new films, the last one I watched (just yesterday) was 'The Lion In Winter'. Peter O'Toole as Henry II and Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor of Aquitaine. Basically, the film (adapted from the play of the same name) concerns the political machinations of Henry, Eleanor, and their horrible offspring.

I quite this like film, always have done - easily an 8 out of 10. I would rate it higher, but I was educated as an historian and the film is rife with historical inaccuracies. Still and all, the writing and the performances are nothing short of phenomenal. Like this bit, a 36 years old O'Toole as the shattered, world weary 50 years old Henry:

The whole film is rife with that caliber of acting and writing. Also notable for being Timothy Dalton's first film role, and Anthony Hopkins' second.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
CBGB

Never was into punk, and I didn't have a clue. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie though.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Bucket list.

Its about 2 guys finding out that they got from 6-12 months to live and they go try stuff they always wanted to do.
Me thinks : what if the guy didn't have much money ? then the only thing they gonna do with that bucket list is to shove it up their ass and die in 6-12 months.
I liked the movie deep idea about death, and the fact that someone knows when is he gonna die is not good for him at all .

Accept the void Smile
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Last two movies I watched:

Sabotage: Disappointingly lame Schwarzenegger film, because the action you spend all movie waiting for doesn't really happen until the final scene (which is very entertaining, but comes way too late). Look, I don't watch action films for the plot, because I know the plot is going to suck. It's just there to set up the action, so... let's have some action.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: See, here's a group of writers that understood that with enough action, your plot doesn't have to be watertight or even make a lot of sense. Fun, action-packed, and just funny enough without seeming silly (at least, to a comic-book geek).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 8, 2014 at 9:58 pm)Tonus Wrote: Captain America: The Winter Soldier: See, here's a group of writers that understood that with enough action, your plot doesn't have to be watertight or even make a lot of sense. Fun, action-packed, and just funny enough without seeming silly (at least, to a comic-book geek).

Excellent, I've been wanting to see this but wasn't sure if it was worth ponying up the dough. Big Grin
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
I'm a fan of the DC animated movies, so the last thing I saw was Son of Batman, the latest one. It's also probably one of the weakest, because there's not a whole lot to it. The action looks good and all, but when that's all you have, just piling fight scene on top of fight scene goes nowhere. The characters are all super flat- for a movie about the son of Batman, there's remarkably little interaction between the son and Batman- and it basically plays out like a half hour episode of one of the newer Batman animated series stretched over a full hour.

It's also, for some reason, the bloodiest movie in the entire lineup, showing once and for all that dark doesn't always mean interesting.

Give it a miss, and just watch Under the Red Hood again.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I've seen "3 days to kill" yesterday wit Kevin Costner. The trailer portrays this as an action movie but in fact it is more focused on Costner character's rlationship with his daughter and ex-wife. I guess it was a decent movie, but i'm a little dissapointed.
Final rating 7/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBnKYDDDq8
How the West Was Won.

Well, It's certainly an impressive-looking film, one I'm sure would certainly be more impressive if I actually saw it on the Cinerama big Screen it was intended for. As it was, it's a fairly good western, although it's one that isn't very cohesive. Many of the performances are good, although I was surprised that Gregory Peck did a fairly good Robert Mitchum impersonation. I did not think the two would be this difficult to tell apart. Of course, it's clearly a product of its time.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Sigh... there are about 30 minutes during the first hour or so, where there are clear flashes of decent plotting and good writing. Problem is, the movie is 141 minutes long. There are way too many "head-scratcher" plot points and the way the main villain's plan is foiled is just dumb. I will give them points for not chickening out on a particular plot point, but that scene was not really necessary for this movie and feels tacked-on, and that makes it pretty awful.

And also, the "mid-credits bonus scene" that ran after the movie ended was a promo for the upcoming X-Men film. Which is fine, because it means I can skip those from now on and save myself a few minutes in the future.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movie everyone has seen except you. arewethereyet 23 1978 December 4, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Last Podcast on the Left TheBeardedDude 1 334 July 13, 2021 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Rambo: Last Blood (what were you thinking Stallone?) GrandizerII 47 2533 October 3, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (trailer) EgoDeath 32 3328 September 25, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Looking for a video about god (?) and the sixth sense movie Whoobodoobooo 5 767 May 21, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Force Awakens was a disappointing movie Rimi921 13 1314 April 27, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 345 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  SPOILER ALERT: Black Mirror - Bandersnatch (Interactive Movie) GrandizerII 0 219 December 29, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Upcoming movie movie trailer discussion Alex K 50 6053 October 22, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bill Maher - Last Night Minimalist 16 1660 April 9, 2018 at 11:20 am
Last Post: henryp