Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is "supernatural"?
What is "supernatural"?
As far as I can tell, it is simply an empty and meaningless term used to artificially justify assertions that could not be justified in any other way.

If this is not something you agree with, how do you define the word?
RE: What is "supernatural"?
[Image: 1357881199supernatural_tv_show_image.jpg...GgQMygBMAE]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
A word generally used to make bullshit sound credible
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
It's just one big cop out.

"It's supernatural - therefore I do not have to explain it".

Supernatural = Ignorance + Imagination squared.
It means "I have no empirical evidence."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I'm tempted to say "magic", but that doesn't really help. xD

I suppose when you get down to it, it refers to things perceived to lie far outside our normals means of explaining things. Ex: The heavens, gravity and diseases were often regarded as the workings of the supernatural prior to us gaining a more robust understanding of them.

I don't know if this epistemic-gap is necessarily the case with all purportedly supernatural things, but it certainly is rather pervasive.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(May 11, 2014 at 10:44 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: I'm tempted to say "magic", but that doesn't really help. xD

I suppose when you get down to it, it refers to things perceived to lie far outside our normals means of explaining things. Ex: The heavens, gravity and diseases were often regarded as the workings of the supernatural prior to us gaining a more robust understanding of them.

I don't know if this epistemic-gap is necessarily the case with all purportedly supernatural things, but it certainly is rather pervasive.

Anything that exists outside the natural realm. Supernatural entities would not have to follow natural laws. Supernatural events or beings can't be proven by science because science is the study of natural existence.
(May 11, 2014 at 8:27 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: [Image: 1357881199supernatural_tv_show_image.jpg...GgQMygBMAE]

It's certainly a better story than the nonsense religions provide.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to select which supernatural to believe? Fake Messiah 208 13662 November 26, 2022 at 1:30 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations BlackMason 15 4232 May 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  If God exists, what is it about his essence that makes him supernatural? Edwardo Piet 29 10162 October 28, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: Kirbmarc
  Supernatural school.. Darwinian 1 1313 May 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah