Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Luck
Good Luck
I was just in the thread in which a member lived close to where the wildfires are burning in southern California and the member stated that she would ask for prayers, but that wouldn't do any good anyway. I am concerned and I did pray for all of them down there as I believe God listens to our prayers and does help people. What I read from atheists were wishes that things would be okay, with statements like "you're in my thoughts" and "good luck" and "take care of yourself" and so on. What does "being in your thoughts" do for anybody? Since these statements are totally worthless, why don't these people just skip the wasted words and make suggestions like "get some batteries since the power could go out" or "pack up and be ready to get out" or some practical help.
RE: Good Luck
(May 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm)Lek Wrote: I was just in the thread in which a member lived close to where the wildfires are burning in southern California and the member stated that she would ask for prayers, but that wouldn't do any good anyway. I am concerned and I did pray for all of them down there as I believe God listens to our prayers and does help people. What I read from atheists were wishes that things would be okay, with statements like "you're in my thoughts" and "good luck" and "take care of yourself" and so on. What does "being in your thoughts" do for anybody? Since these statements are totally worthless, why don't these people just skip the wasted words and make suggestions like "get some batteries since the power could go out" or "pack up and be ready to get out" or some practical help.

They show that the person is thinking of them truly and honestly and not wasting their time praying to an imaginary being. The end result of prayer is, of course, that only the person praying actually feels better because he/she believes they've actually done something to help.

If I was there I'd actually be out trying to help, as opposed to sitting at home and praying.

The old saying holds true: "Two hands working achieve more than a thousand clasped in prayer".
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm)Lek Wrote: What does "being in your thoughts" do for anybody? Since these statements are totally worthless.

Sometimes it is nice to know that someone is thinking about you and your well-being. Personally, I do not care either way, but some people like to retain their humanistic natures despite their disbelief in any higher being.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I don't really say that to people, so I don't know the answer, but I do want to say thank you for starting a new thread and not hijacking mine Smile

(May 15, 2014 at 7:35 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(May 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm)Lek Wrote: I was just in the thread in which a member lived close to where the wildfires are burning in southern California and the member stated that she would ask for prayers, but that wouldn't do any good anyway. I am concerned and I did pray for all of them down there as I believe God listens to our prayers and does help people. What I read from atheists were wishes that things would be okay, with statements like "you're in my thoughts" and "good luck" and "take care of yourself" and so on. What does "being in your thoughts" do for anybody? Since these statements are totally worthless, why don't these people just skip the wasted words and make suggestions like "get some batteries since the power could go out" or "pack up and be ready to get out" or some practical help.

They show that the person is thinking of them truly and honestly and not wasting their time praying to an imaginary being. The end result of prayer is, of course, that only the person praying actually feels better because he/she believes they've actually done something to help.

If I was there I'd actually be out trying to help, as opposed to sitting at home and praying.

The old saying holds true: "Two hands working achieve more than a thousand clasped in prayer".

That's really nice of you, but volunteers are being turned away, if you can believe it! Because one of the fires is in our big business district, a lot of people were evacuated yesterday, and can't go to work today or tomorrow, so they're volunteering at the shelters and stuff, and now there are so many, they're hindering progress.
Quote:God listens to our prayers and does help people.

Then why doesn't he put out the fucking fire?
(May 15, 2014 at 7:39 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I don't really say that to people, so I don't know the answer, but I do want to say thank you for starting a new thread and not hijacking mine Smile

(May 15, 2014 at 7:35 pm)Beccs Wrote: They show that the person is thinking of them truly and honestly and not wasting their time praying to an imaginary being. The end result of prayer is, of course, that only the person praying actually feels better because he/she believes they've actually done something to help.

That's really nice of you, but volunteers are being turned away, if you can believe it! Because one of the fires is in our big business district, a lot of people were evacuated yesterday, and can't go to work today or tomorrow, so they're volunteering at the shelters and stuff, and now there are so many, they're hindering progress.

Yeah, often too many volunteers showing up just get in the way.

It's a good sign of the basic decency of many people, however.
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm)Lek Wrote: What does "being in your thoughts" do for anybody?

The same amount as praying for somebody does.

Fuck all.

It's all well and good you have managed to convince yourself that praying makes a difference. But those of us in the real world realise it does absolutely jack shit. The sentiment is nice (just like saying "you're in our thoughts") but that's about it.
I don't see any difference between someone saying 'you're in our thoughts', and 'you're in our prayers'. Except for the psychosis that's needed for pray-ers to believe that their thoughts will affect the outcome of the future.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(May 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm)Lek Wrote: What does "being in your thoughts" do for anybody?

It's a subtle difference, really. Offering that kind of platitude as above carries with it no false hope. Offering a prayer is like making a false promise on behalf of God, who is obviously lifting no divine fingers to help anybody.
(May 15, 2014 at 7:39 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I don't really say that to people, so I don't know the answer, but I do want to say thank you for starting a new thread and not hijacking mine Smile

Actually, I think it's okay for people to say stuff like that and I also hope you and everyone there comes out of this well. I got set off because people will say "don't say you'll pray for me" as if it's an insult to do so, but people always say things like "you're in my thoughts", which they believe is as worthless as prayer, but that's acceptable.

(May 15, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:God listens to our prayers and does help people.

Then why doesn't he put out the fucking fire?

He might save one person's home. My question to him is why he doesn't put out your mouth?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Statistical Improbability (Just My Luck) wolf39us 113 5039 July 16, 2020 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 367 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Wish me luck Losty 47 7375 January 14, 2016 at 9:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Good night good luck from dyresand 0 986 May 24, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Down on my luck and still godless. Brian37 7 1583 January 3, 2014 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: EgoRaptor