Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:24 am

Poll: Prayer is ...
This poll is closed.
Necessary & Useful
0%
0 0%
Pointless & Futile
100.00%
14 100.00%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our God-figure Who Art in Heaven ...
Our God-figure Who Art in Heaven ...
My wife has been an apatheist for as long as I have known her ... so it was a quite a surprise when she told me she prayed yesterday. (Something I would never do.)

I asked, "Who did you pray to?"
She said, "I don't know."
I said with a grin, "Did you get an answer?"
She shrugged and said, "No."
With another grin I said, "So are you just throwing a random prayer out to any god that has 'his ears on'?"
She says, "Yeah, I guess so. I figured no one was listening, but I thought I'd give it-a-go." "I admit - I felt kinda stupid."
I asked, "So why did you do it?"

And she said...
"If there is a god out there somewhere, he should know what a terribly shitty job he's doing."

Big Grin THAT's my girl!! Big Grin
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Our God-figure Who Art in Heaven ...
I voted futile but that's just for me cos I don't believe in it. If you believe in prayer I imagine the placebo effects will be beneficial.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I like this prayer. Especially the last part.

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, and why we died. All that matters is that today, two stood against many. Valor pleases you, so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge!
And if you do not listen, the HELL with you!

"Conan The Barbarian"
People do irrational things in times of stress. It's just a part of coping with bad things. Maybe try to do something new and exciting with her for a change of pace. That may be good for her.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Prayer???

There have been two studies (relevant scientifically) done of the efficacy of prayer.

I cannot for the life of me remember the names of them

But the conclusion is (or was) prayer - regardless of form, content, or numbers praying - had any effect whatsoever on the subject matter.

None.
People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned.
What are we voting on? "Our God-figure Who Art in Heaven" or the efficacy of prayer?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
What about Pullo's prayer from Rome?

A little tough on the pigeons but fuck 'em.

Cinj...your wife would be a great addition to the board. Tell her to sign up.
(May 20, 2014 at 9:18 am)Cinjin Wrote: And she said...
"If there is a god out there somewhere, he should know what a terribly shitty job he's doing."

Big Grin THAT's my girl!! Big Grin

Maybe she realized what a terrible job people are doing and hoped she would be able to blame it on God instead.
(May 20, 2014 at 5:19 pm)Lek Wrote:
(May 20, 2014 at 9:18 am)Cinjin Wrote: And she said...

Maybe she realized what a terrible job people are doing and hoped she would be able to blame it on God instead.

Perhaps, but it's highly unlikely.
Her parents are devout Christian Reform and she was referencing their claims. Specifically, their continual prayer requests that never EVER get answered.

For instance:
They prayed for a boy in their church for a healing of his Leukemia. Yep, the boy is still dying.
They prayed for funds to replace the front doors of their church which were damaged in a wind storm. Yep, the old doors are still there.
They prayed that a local girl would be found unharmed and returned to her family. Yep, she was found raped and murdered.
They prayed that my son's birthday would have good warm weather. Yep, it was cold and rainy.
They prayed for my aging uncles annual checkup. Yep, the doctor found skin cancer.

My wife wasn't blaming your god for the crimes of humans. She was referring to his complete lack of interest and power to effect anything.

I take that back ...
My mother-in-law did pray that she would find her eye-glasses - and voila, your god apparently does want old gullible imbeciles to see well. Undecided
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:With another grin I said, "So are you just throwing a random prayer out to any god that has 'his ears on'?"

lol, this reminds me of something from Pratchett's 'The Colour Of Magic', the first in the Discworld series:

'Whenever he could spare them, Rincewind was in the habit of dropping a few coins into the coffers of whatever temple he happened to be near, on the theory that a man needed all the help can get.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4437 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5452 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5510 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13628 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19110 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  "heaven" meme on facebook drfuzzy 34 7716 May 2, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are there animals in heaven? Mermaid 53 8479 November 7, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  My thoughts on heaven dyresand 24 7172 November 3, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Bible way to Heaven sinnerdaniel94 362 52571 October 14, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Heaven is full of tapeworms Brakeman 15 4533 August 13, 2015 at 10:23 am
Last Post: orangebox21