Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ableist humor?
Ableist humor?
Ableism if you don't know is basically akin to racism. It's discrimination against people with impairments. I learned about it because of this thread where they're upset about a Hellen Keller joke:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic....19&p=97104

Supposedly the joke is an example of ableism. I'm not sure it is. I think for the people like me who find some humor in this, we're not thinking "blind people, they're so stupid!" I have no ill will to blind people at all yet I find this joke funny. Why? It's hard to exactly to articulate into words how I find it funny but I think it has something to do with the awkward feeling that is some cases aroused with being in possession of knowledge that another person is completely but helplessly wrong about something inconsequential. Do you pretend for Keller's sake that the dog is really a cat or do you tell the truth and inevitably bring up a short coming of being blind? That's an awkward situation to be in.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Ableist humor?
Some people need to learn to calm down and see the humor in a joke.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Hi actual blind person here! Are you kidding me?! That's funny as hell! Dude do you know how often I like to fuck with sighted people?!

And it sounds like that blind lady was being whiny. Part of our disability is not being able to access pictures. We in the blind community realize that not every single picture on earth is captioned, or has explicit detail, so it is on us to ask for what we need.

Why did helen kellers dog run away?
you would too if your names was herghnerderper!
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My humor, I know it's off the wall Foxaèr 13 1972 May 8, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Why do some people lack a sense of humor? NuclearEnergy 20 3651 November 25, 2017 at 11:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Shocked Hating Comic Sans is Ableist Apparently Tea Earl Grey Hot 16 2015 March 3, 2017 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christians have a sense of humor Kingpin 36 6115 January 14, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Humor/OP ED, but half serious. Brian37 15 3652 March 2, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  SC/NC Attitudes on Sex (and spelling) Meet Atheist Humor thesummerqueen 11 3953 April 18, 2013 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Catholic humor liferocks 3 1457 June 24, 2011 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: BloodyHeretic