Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Version Of Christianity Is The Correct One?
Which Version Of Christianity Is The Correct One?
Here are a few examples to illustrate what I mean -

Some Christians insist that Roman Catholics, Mormons and Jehohvah's Witnesses aren't real Christians. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and the Eastern Orthodox Church insist they they have the correct teachings.

There are thousands of different Christian denominations. If somebody wanted to convert to Christianity, which version of Christianity should they choose? After all, it would be awful to convert to Version A only to discover that Version Q is the correct one.

I'm an atheist so have no desire to convert to any religion. I'm just wondering about the dilemma that Christian converts face.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
RE: Which Version Of Christianity Is The Correct One?
I think that the real answer is "the one I belong to." Because to begin with, in order to determine if a person is a Christian or not, you need to define what it means to be a Christian. It has to be more than just believing in Jesus Christ and accepting him as your savior, because the JWs do that. However, the JWs have a raft of beliefs that are different from mainstream Christianity and they use those to explain why they are the only true Christians. So it requires more than just recognizing Jesus as your savior. Or even as your LORD, since most Christian denominations recognize Jesus as god, and yet insist that the others are not real Christians.

They need to present a list of reasons why they are the only real one and everyone else falls short. And that requires interpretation of scripture and justification for that interpretation. And while it provides a small amount of amusement to watch competing denominations battle over which interpretation of a sloppily-written book is the correct and proper one, it also gets tedious. It's like watching people argue over the best way to change the oil on a tricycle.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 21, 2014 at 6:10 am)Tonus Wrote: I think that the real answer is "the one I belong to." Because to begin with, in order to determine if a person is a Christian or not, you need to define what it means to be a Christian.

I'm hoping that the Christian forum members join in the discussion. I'd like to know why they think their particular version is right and how many believe that other denominations have been misled by the devil.
I'd reject all protestant denominations straight off the bat because they only have the single text source material.
That gets us down to Catholics, the various Orthodox groupings and the Coptics. There is then the doctrine of Trinitarianism to consider, which frankly is a pile of semantic BS and looking too deeply is likely to lead to Arianism.
Of course this all hinges on the assumption that the Jews weren't lying through their teeth in the first place...
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(May 21, 2014 at 6:01 am)Confused Ape Wrote: Here are a few examples to illustrate what I mean -

Some Christians insist that Roman Catholics, Mormons and Jehohvah's Witnesses aren't real Christians. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and the Eastern Orthodox Church insist they they have the correct teachings.

There are thousands of different Christian denominations. If somebody wanted to convert to Christianity, which version of Christianity should they choose? After all, it would be awful to convert to Version A only to discover that Version Q is the correct one.

I'm an atheist so have no desire to convert to any religion. I'm just wondering about the dilemma that Christian converts face.

describe your dad.
have your mom describe your dad.
have your dad's friend describe your dad.
have your friend describe your dad.

Have your dad's enemy describe your dad.

simple people think simple things I guess.
The Apostle's Creed would be a good place to start.
(May 21, 2014 at 6:01 am)Confused Ape Wrote: Here are a few examples to illustrate what I mean -

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump. I ran over and said: "Stop. Don't do it."

"Why shouldn't I?" he asked.

"Well, there's so much to live for!"

"Like what?"

"Are you religious?"

He said: "Yes."

I said: "Me too. Are you Christian or Buddhist?"

"Christian."

"Me too. Are you Catholic or Protestant?"

"Protestant."

"Me too. Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"

"Baptist."

"Wow. Me too. Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"

"Baptist Church of God."

"Me too. Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?"

"Reformed Baptist Church of God."

"Me too. Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?"

He said: "Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915."

I said: "Die, heretic scum," and pushed him off.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(May 21, 2014 at 8:36 am)alpha male Wrote: The Apostle's Creed would be a good place to start.

Can you explain why for the purpose of this topic?

Apostle's Creed

Quote:The Apostles' Creed (Latin: Symbolum Apostolorum or Symbolum Apostolicum), sometimes titled Symbol of the Apostles, is an early statement of Christian belief, a creed or "symbol".[1] It is widely used by a number of Christian denominations for both liturgical and catechetical purposes, most visibly by liturgical Churches of Western tradition, including the Roman Catholic Church, Lutheranism, Anglicanism, and Western Orthodoxy. It is also used by Presbyterians, Methodists, and Congregationalists.

This isn't very helpful when there are views like the following - Is Roman Catholicism and Christianity the same thing?

Quote:No, Roman Catholicism and Christianity are not the same thing.

So, even though Roman Catholicism claims to be Christian and that it is the one true church, it violates the essentials of the Christian faith. It goes beyond what is written in God's word (1 Cor. 4:6). It denies the sole and true sovereignty of the living God by promoting prayer to and the worship of Mary. Also, it denies justification by faith alone in Christ alone. It is not a Christian church.
The Lanover Baptists are the one, true Christians. I thought everyone already knew this...
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
(May 21, 2014 at 9:02 am)Confused Ape Wrote: Can you explain why for the purpose of this topic?
Because most Christian denominations accept it.

You could say that each Christian has different beliefs, making billions of forms of Christianity.

Yet, the vast majority of them accept the apostles' creed. So, you can say that there are two forms of Christianity - those that accept the apostles' creed, and those that don't.

The level of division is arbitrary.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1097 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8837 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5200 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Which denominations have you spotted on this forum? Fake Messiah 87 14429 August 19, 2017 at 10:14 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which Jesus is real? Foxaèr 40 8111 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New Revised Standard Version Bible has Dead Sea Scroll input ?!?! vorlon13 17 3805 February 20, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 5999 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The number one reason not to follow Christianity Aegon 43 8899 March 11, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheist version of Pascal's wager Nihilist Virus 57 10472 February 4, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6773 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus