Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responding to posts.
Responding to posts.
I really dislike the way responding to posts works on this forum.

When I respond to different posts in the same thread (within some short but undefined timespan), the responses all get packaged as one.

I find it messy, distracting, and the individual answers lose their impact and can get lost in the noise.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
RE: Responding to posts.
I'm ok with that, Chas... it keeps the board neat...
But mod posts should adhere by that rule, too... people get to thinking it's unfair Tongue

Now that we're talking about posts, I'd like to get some warning, has to be after clicking the "post reply" button, that someone else posted something while I was writing. I've seen this done in other forums, so it should be possible on this one, as well.
It's the "ninja condom."

Cthulhu, make it happen.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 21, 2014 at 11:32 am)Chas Wrote: When I respond to different posts in the same thread (within some short but undefined timespan), the responses all get packaged as one.

I find it messy, distracting, and the individual answers lose their impact and can get lost in the noise.

What exactly do you mean? It's more messy if the same person has multiple posts one after the other. That's a stupid way for posting to work IMO. There is a timespan of an hour, after which any responses appear as new posts. That makes sense to me. If you are responding at once or in a relatively short period of time then absolutely it should all be in one post. That's much cleaner than multiple posts.

Also there is nothing from stopping you responding to multiple people at the same time...

(May 21, 2014 at 11:58 am)pocaracas Wrote: But mod posts should adhere by that rule, too... people get to thinking it's unfair Tongue

The reason why mods are different is because often times in the staff area it's useful that threads are bumped so they're higher up on priority (at least that was the reason I was told when I joined the mod team, I never actually noticed it was different for mods until it became one).

*edit* also I imagine it's useful in the event that we get serial spammers. It stops them from making post after post in the same thread.
(May 21, 2014 at 2:36 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(May 21, 2014 at 11:58 am)pocaracas Wrote: But mod posts should adhere by that rule, too... people get to thinking it's unfair Tongue

The reason why mods are different is because often times in the staff area it's useful that threads are bumped so they're higher up on priority (at least that was the reason I was told when I joined the mod team, I never actually noticed it was different for mods until it became one).

So... one hour is too long for bumping a thread? -.-'
Well yeah. If for instance someone happened to be spamming new accounts in the form of sock puppets, a mod might need to bump a thread they've posted in less than an hour ago to let other mods know of any further developments that they might otherwise not see. So mods do in certain circumstances need that ability. Regular users don't.

This is just my understanding from the position of a mod, there might be admin reasons as to why it works this way too.
(May 21, 2014 at 11:32 am)Chas Wrote: I really dislike the way responding to posts works on this forum.

When I respond to different posts in the same thread (within some short but undefined timespan), the responses all get packaged as one.

I don't think so, actually I like the post auto merge function, but the reasons for me to have it disabled, compensates for the nuissance of that.

Perhaps you could provide better reasons than your personal taste about it? We are always open for that.
(May 21, 2014 at 3:37 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(May 21, 2014 at 11:32 am)Chas Wrote: I really dislike the way responding to posts works on this forum.

I don't think so, actually I like the post auto merge function, but the reasons for me to have it disabled, compensates for the nuissance of that.

Perhaps you could provide better reasons than your personal taste about it? We are always open for that.

I did:
"I find it messy, distracting, and the individual answers lose their impact and can get lost in the noise. "

(May 21, 2014 at 2:36 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(May 21, 2014 at 11:32 am)Chas Wrote: When I respond to different posts in the same thread (within some short but undefined timespan), the responses all get packaged as one.

What exactly do you mean? It's more messy if the same person has multiple posts one after the other. That's a stupid way for posting to work IMO. There is a timespan of an hour, after which any responses appear as new posts. That makes sense to me. If you are responding at once or in a relatively short period of time then absolutely it should all be in one post. That's much cleaner than multiple posts.

I don't agree. As I said, the individual replies are replies to individual posts. The replies lose context and impact.

Quote:Also there is nothing from stopping you responding to multiple people at the same time...

What does that even mean? That's what I don't want to do.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
The only time I find it to be inconvenient is when someone adds to a response after I have visited the topic, which means that I might miss the additional content because I usually browse via the "New Posts" link. Otherwise, the OCD part of my brain that goes nuts whenever it sees multiple posts from a single person appreciates the feature.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 21, 2014 at 6:12 pm)Chas Wrote: What does that even mean? That's what I don't want to do.

What do you even mean? I seriously don't get your logic. How do replies lose context and impact? That's total nonsense. The post you just made was perfectly easy to understand, and it was to two people. Are you saying you would rather have the two responses separated into two posts. That are one after the other? What the fuck is the point of that? How does that make it any easier to understand. It just makes everything more cluttered and takes up additional space on the webpage that is totally unnecessary.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up [Serious] Please permit me insert persian paragraphs in my posts Anti.Enslave 5 52 Yesterday at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  A request to delete my posts in the members photo thread WinterHold 30 4815 July 1, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Today's Posts? Yonadav 9 1686 March 23, 2019 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Sal
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is there a quick way to view new posts in an existing thread? fromdownunder 6 1396 September 18, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  List Posts BrianSoddingBoru4 15 3117 April 7, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Issue with clicking "View New Posts" Foxaèr 5 1411 July 23, 2017 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Spam Detection (READ THIS IF YOUR POSTS KEEP DISAPPEARING) Tiberius 30 16160 July 4, 2017 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  All posts in this thread have vanished! Aroura 0 1066 February 15, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Mafia game threads showing in "Today's Posts" lists Ravenshire 18 6630 February 5, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire