Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians invade Buddhism
Christians invade Buddhism
So as some of you are aware I listen to BuddhistSociety when I cannot attend temple. I like to listen to the monks teach and what they have to say.

Well I was watching a sermon and someone had commented:

Quote:Gautama Buddha was the true prophet of God.

I simply replied that based on his teachings, writings, and books, that he taught there were no Gods, and God does not exist.

I have noticed lately an influx of christians targeting Buddhists in hopes to get them to convert.

"Buddha is the prophet of God, he taught about god" stuff like that is endless . . .

I know Buddhist philosophy is not popular on this forum but, perhaps you had thoughts on the subject.

There is even a record of a Christian church forging text saying the Buddha spoke of god, and to believe him. When of course Buddhist monks and scholars read these they found them as forgeries.

Pointing out that Buddha called himself Buddha, and other things that the Gautama would not have done.

Anyhow thoughts?
RE: Christians invade Buddhism
*shrug* Shucking Buddhism for Christianity seem rather like swapping athlete's for toe fungus. Either way, you've got a disease.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 22, 2014 at 6:47 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote: So as some of you are aware I listen to BuddhistSociety when I cannot attend temple. I like to listen to the monks teach and what they have to say.

I simply replied that based on his teachings, writings, and books, that he taught there were no Gods, and God does not exist.

I have noticed lately an influx of christians targeting Buddhists in hopes to get them to convert.

"Buddha is the prophet of God, he taught about god" stuff like that is endless . . .

I know Buddhist philosophy is not popular on this forum but, perhaps you had thoughts on the subject.

There is even a record of a Christian church forging text saying the Buddha spoke of god, and to believe him. When of course Buddhist monks and scholars read these they found them as forgeries.

Pointing out that Buddha called himself Buddha, and other things that the Gautama would not have done.

Anyhow thoughts?

I personally have no problem with Buddhist philosophies. And, to be frank, I far prefer some of the Eastern religions/philosophies over the Western/Abrahamic ones.

In this situation I would be confrontational and ask them directly why they're lying.

I admit I know little about Buddhism but isn't it far older than Christianity and when it originated, there was very little contact between those people and the Jews (from which Christianity sprouted like a bastard child)?
Dying to live, living to die.
It really doesn't matter BSword. It would seem that theistic tendencies are falling and the 'die-hard' believers are doing just that....... making a hard time of the death of their favourite fairy tales.

I understand why you find Buddism interesting and relevant and also understand that "the Buddha" never called himself such. I am to understand that the Buddhas teachings are to be only a raft and you are solely responsible for your life, having that thrown in the face of people who seem to desire being slaves... is it any wonder you get the above claim of prophet for the Buddha?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Christians are quite fond of attempting to make anything and everything about their silly sky daddy.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Xtians have never held back from committing fraud.

http://www.angelfire.com/band/kissed/fraud.html
(May 22, 2014 at 6:47 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote: So as some of you are aware I listen to BuddhistSociety when I cannot attend temple. I like to listen to the monks teach and what they have to say.

Anyhow thoughts?

western could learn a ton from the east. If the east wasn't as self centered I mite pick it up. Thinking

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 650 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  In Buddhism Where Will Souls Go if they Haven''t Reached Nirvana Before the Sun Dies? Rhondazvous 11 2094 November 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: LuisDantas
  Zen Buddhism LivingNumbers6.626 69 8343 July 10, 2016 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11021 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Buddhism, against having fun. CapnAwesome 58 20836 December 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome