Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
Advice
I am still fairly young, and i have recently just become an atheist. The problem is, i haven't told my parents. I grew up in a fairly religous household, the inside of which contains many crosses. They haven't yet given me any indication that they would act negatively torwards the information, but taking into account the negative views they have taken to other important choices of mine, my girlfriend, my first car, which classes i'm going to take... Just to name a few. So i am a little afraid that they would react negatively. As a side note, i'm going to assume most of you are aware of fox news's "war on christmas", my family watches that every year, and sometimes they do make comments about atheism. So, any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
RE: Advice
It's always a difficult one.

THere's a YouTube video from The Thinking Atheist entitled coming out atheist which might be worth viewing.

In all honesty, depending on your situation, your age, etc, I would look up some of the online videos about doing so, see which tactic best fits your situation, and develop it from there.

Perhaps sit down with your parents and broach the situation subtly. Talk to them about their thought on the "war on Christmas" nonsense and bring the other point of view into the discussion.

Above all else, proceed carefully and at your own pace.

Welcome, btw.
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 22, 2014 at 8:49 pm)Sludgeman101 Wrote: I am still fairly young, and i have recently just become an atheist. The problem is, i haven't told my parents. I grew up in a fairly religous household, the inside of which contains many crosses. They haven't yet given me any indication that they would act negatively torwards the information, but taking into account the negative views they have taken to other important choices of mine, my girlfriend, my first car, which classes i'm going to take... Just to name a few. So i am a little afraid that they would react negatively. As a side note, i'm going to assume most of you are aware of fox news's "war on christmas", my family watches that every year, and sometimes they do make comments about atheism. So, any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Given what you have said here it sounds like it would go very badly if you told them. I wouldn't out right tell as they need to know, but if they outright ask you then I don't think you should have to lie about it either. If they pin you down on it just stay cool and calmly explain why you don't believe it. Beyond that just play it cool
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Man, I never realized just how lucky I was by not having to deal with religious parents. So sorry. I ran away from home on a joy ride for a month when my spoiled ass didn't get my way, so I'm not the best one to give advice either. Tonight on FOX NEWS: Runnaway Atheist on the loose. Lock your doors and cock those guns and grab your holy water!

I wish you good luck and hope people with similar experiences can help you out.
[Image: 6d831307e2639612d5fcf04de38bc3d2.jpg]
(May 22, 2014 at 11:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: 6d831307e2639612d5fcf04de38bc3d2.jpg]

You make a good point! Haha!
Don't expect rationality from anyone who watches FOX.
I am always a proponent of the whole 'wait until you are financially independent' route, Sludgeman. Play the game until you move out and aren't reliant on them. It's what I did, and I was never religious. It takes a lot of the oomph out of the tantrum, and makes moving forward as equals possible.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 22, 2014 at 8:49 pm)Sludgeman101 Wrote: I am still fairly young, and i have recently just become an atheist. The problem is, i haven't told my parents. I grew up in a fairly religous household, the inside of which contains many crosses. They haven't yet given me any indication that they would act negatively torwards the information, but taking into account the negative views they have taken to other important choices of mine, my girlfriend, my first car, which classes i'm going to take... Just to name a few. So i am a little afraid that they would react negatively. As a side note, i'm going to assume most of you are aware of fox news's "war on christmas", my family watches that every year, and sometimes they do make comments about atheism. So, any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

If you are an only child reassure them that you will respect their wishes and give them religious burials.

If they get pissed and disown you then it just shows that they are rotten Christians who lack a speck of real love and forgiveness. Who knows, you might become religious later on in life.
(May 23, 2014 at 2:44 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: I am always a proponent of the whole 'wait until you are financially independent' route, Sludgeman. Play the game until you move out and aren't reliant on them. It's what I did, and I was never religious. It takes a lot of the oomph out of the tantrum, and makes moving forward as equals possible.

^^This is truth. I'm an undercover atheist. You really don't need to come out while you're still living with your folks. You don't wanna shit where you eat and sleep.

I've locked horns many times with my mom. Not cool! If you're like me then you may have a hard time containing your worldview. So if you ever decide to speak about it don't be direct. Bring your points across via a questioning tactic. For example: "You say it is because of the holy spirit. How can we be sure it is the holy spirit and not my subconscious mind at work?"

Socrates was awesome at questioning. Get your points across with subtle questioning. Be more passive rather than aggressive. It's a sort of feeling out type of thing I'm suggesting. If they're negative then that's your cue to back down.

(May 24, 2014 at 1:49 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: If you are an only child reassure them that you will respect their wishes and give them religious burials.

If they get pissed and disown you then it just shows that they are rotten Christians who lack a speck of real love and forgiveness. Who knows, you might become religious later on in life.

Is this really the best way? It's almost as if you're encouraging Sludgeman to put his security (if he's a dependent) on the line just to prove his parents are hypocrite christians. Somethings are just not worth it.
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking meaningful advice from atheists Ad Astra 85 5627 May 15, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: h311inac311
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24445 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2529 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  Need advice for going to college Won2blv 33 4614 September 19, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5668 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Any advice on coming out to my parents? BitchinHitchins 26 6845 August 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  atheist looking for advice jackriot100 56 9563 February 15, 2015 at 5:02 am
Last Post: emilynghiem
  Advice for dating a Christian Lemonvariable72 55 10515 January 8, 2015 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Brakeman
  Heads up advice for atheists. Brian37 122 15061 November 5, 2014 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Brian37