Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Architectural Design Issues
Architectural Design Issues
Architectural design is strongly mathematical as well as technological and scientific art.

Refer to my website to suit your curiosity and interests.

Solid foundations are welcome, including algebra, integral calculus and geometry.

I intend to post here questions on architectural design verities, both specifically and generally, in the context of the following issues.

Critical issues include

1. Subversive/existentialistic Design of Architecture, to reinforce and maintain Human Existence and Identity against both natural and built environments

Some architectural designs are too predominantly expressive and so immoral. Examples are Churches, Mosques, Castles, White House, Buckingham Palace and Kremlin.

As modest lay citizens, do we want to overthrow this autocracy? Do we want to restore and uphold our dignity as simple humans?

What are the architectural design ways to mitigate such differences and strike a balance between one side of parties favouring singular identities, and another, heterogeneity, diversity and sociocultural inclusivity? Questions include publicity versus privacy.

2. Hybridisation of natural and human worlds and wilderness

Should we replace zoos with a more ecologically friendly design of places that consider the seasonal and annual migrations of wildlife, and accommodate their changing tenure arrangements of ecologically sound, inhabitable land uses? Questions include safe transitional spaces for human spectators, and managerial spaces for ecologists.

3. Inside-out places

Do we want fresher air? Do we want trees inside our houses? Do we want every house, bedroom and commercial office complexes to be fully atrial?

4. Spatially both Functional and Expressive architectural design of sky-like infinity, serenity and beauty

How do we want to capture each individual's perfect spirit, dream and harmonious relationships to the surrounds and worldly extremities who owns and inhabits the architecturally designed place?

5. Architectural design of adventurous, free and homely spaces and world, including the physical, artificial and virtual

What are the ways to redesign the infrastructure, including roads, parks, underground and municipal, to accommodate the possibilities of freer sport like soccer, skating, scooting, outdoor fencing, racing and so on, without fear of police interventions, arrests and authoritative persecutions? Do we want every house to be connected to a public complex, so as to blur the demarcations b/w municipalities, suburbia and rural estates? What should we do to help materialise and make architecturally real the digital world, individual's imagination and implausible ideas?

6. Architectural design integrity that avoids any values conflict, such as b/w clients, owners, inhabitants, users, communities, tourists, publicity and government

What if a single person within a rarest minority in the whole world hates the very thought/idea of a smallest and most minor edifice on the other side of the world? What should we do to laterally solve this pettiest issue?

7. Architectural design economics, sustainability, resourcefulness, flexibility and legitimacy

Every good architect does not impose his/her ideas on the world - a good client-architect contract involves cooperation and client's chances to participate and decision-make equally well throughout the lifecycle of architectural design projects.

Questions to consider
1. What is good architectural design
2. What is bad architectural design
3. What are the pros and cons of each?
4. What are possible syntheses?
RE: Architectural Design Issues
Excellent!

Now, for us non-architectural types... Would you please got through your points of critical issues and expand on the basic statements ?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 25, 2014 at 12:45 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Excellent!

Now, for us non-architectural types... Would you please got through your points of critical issues and expand on the basic statements ?

I just edited the OP accordingly.
Thank you.

Now they seem even more odd as here in Perth these issues are addressed. Then again, you seem to want to redesign Sydney Australia and I do not think that is possible or even probable.

Two things you seem to be missing....

The light

The environment the building sits in.

Have you seen the movie 'The Lake House'? Big fan here of Llyod Wright designs

Oh and the all important..... Just how are people going to interact with this building/ infrastructure?

As you know you can build any path you like but people will always take a 'short cut' and thus render your careful design an anathema
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 25, 2014 at 5:25 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Thank you.

Now they seem even more odd as here in Perth these issues are addressed. Then again, you seem to want to redesign Sydney Australia and I do not think that is possible or even probable.

Two things you seem to be missing....

The light

The environment the building sits in.

Have you seen the movie 'The Lake House'? Big fan here of Llyod Wright designs

Oh and the all important..... Just how are people going to interact with this building/ infrastructure?

As you know you can build any path you like but people will always take a 'short cut' and thus render your careful design an anathema

Yes, what you say is true.

However, my architectural design issues concern anywhere in the world, not just Sydney Australia. They are quite theoretical and speculative at this stage.

As for Sydney, Australia, the city is not inland so as to engender the above design strategies as practicable. Sydney Opera House is already a classic example that addresses my first critical design point. Big Grin Yet, whilst it is expressive and vernacular, in John Utzon's statement, it has a lot of structural and acoustic design issues.

The second critical design point of hybridisation for wilderness is far from possible and also irrelevant, given the city's proximity to the sea.

I will check The Lake House.

Wouldn't you mind expanding on two missing things - light and the environment? Do you mean these as missing design strategies, or as missing existing environmental aspects, or what else do you mean these things? Personally and professionally, I believe that Sydney deserves a long way to become a POROUS poly-city, due to its weak transport infrastructure/connectivity far and wide, such as Richmond, Newcastle and Wollongong. Infrastructure wise, this is my new architectural intervention project, subject to research, experimentation and global scrutiny! I have done some architectural research on the design of vertical/terrace farms right in the city, considering quite complex infrastructural interventions, such as on underground stormwater systems.

I look forward to our further discussion!
Like is said, I am a fan of great architects. Never had the $$$ to do the course so please forgive any lay assumptions I make and correct them for me will you?

Light.
As far as I understand it, the sunlight and night lighting in say Sydney is different to the same in Perth. Meaning you can have the most awesome building but if it is in shadow it will look like crap.

Environment.
Having said the above it would follow that a building in a cluster of tall office towers will look like crap if it does not reflect the theme of 'tall towers' it will look out of place for all that it may be perfectly designed.

Have you found 'Sustainable Cities' ? A website I frequent and marvel at the design solutions people are coming up with.

As for Sydney infrastructure, I doubt very much that it can be rectified. Sydney grew out of random "goat tracks". I view Wollongong (a bit better designed) and Newcastle (same) as separate cities. Each with their own issues. The biggest issue I see for Sydney metro area is that it is dissected by many waterways and gullies (what I euphemistically call 'uppy bits') you have to travel around three very large bays to get to the coastal centres. Would have been better had the original colony been centred in Parramatta, but the Harbour is just too easily accessible.

As for The Sydney Opera House, I grew up watching it get built. It's biggest feature was to have it's concert halls "tuned" to provide perfect sound..... this has been problematical since day one. A beautiful building as the sunlight makes it's way across the 'Sails' and perfectly placed in terms of it's environment.

Are you looking to expand design possibilities to say the Pilbara or Kimberly areas? They would be quite a challenge

As far as Zen Badger is concerned, "Sydney should be towed out to sea and used as an artificial reef" Undecided Zen is from Melbourne (slightly better designed). Have you been to Perth and seen what they have done over here in terms of infrastructure?

What is POROUS ?

Some site links

http://sustainablecities.net/our-work/se...re-costing

http://sustainablecitiescollective.com

Oh one last thing (apologies for wall of text) with The Lake House , ignore the romantic story line and focus on the architecture
I am really so sorry not to respond as quickly as you might expect. I was reflecting on the legacy of Rachel Carson, as of today's celebration. She is a famous ecologist and writer. Do you happen to know her?

(May 25, 2014 at 8:25 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Like is said, I am a fan of great architects. Never had the $$$ to do the course so please forgive any lay assumptions I make and correct them for me will you?

Light.
As far as I understand it, the sunlight and night lighting in say Sydney is different to the same in Perth. Meaning you can have the most awesome building but if it is in shadow it will look like crap.

Environment.
Having said the above it would follow that a building in a cluster of tall office towers will look like crap if it does not reflect the theme of 'tall towers' it will look out of place for all that it may be perfectly designed.

Have you found 'Sustainable Cities' ? A website I frequent and marvel at the design solutions people are coming up with.

As for Sydney infrastructure, I doubt very much that it can be rectified. Sydney grew out of random "goat tracks". I view Wollongong (a bit better designed) and Newcastle (same) as separate cities. Each with their own issues. The biggest issue I see for Sydney metro area is that it is dissected by many waterways and gullies (what I euphemistically call 'uppy bits') you have to travel around three very large bays to get to the coastal centres. Would have been better had the original colony been centred in Parramatta, but the Harbour is just too easily accessible.

As for The Sydney Opera House, I grew up watching it get built. It's biggest feature was to have it's concert halls "tuned" to provide perfect sound..... this has been problematical since day one. A beautiful building as the sunlight makes it's way across the 'Sails' and perfectly placed in terms of it's environment.

Are you looking to expand design possibilities to say the Pilbara or Kimberly areas? They would be quite a challenge

As far as Zen Badger is concerned, "Sydney should be towed out to sea and used as an artificial reef" Undecided Zen is from Melbourne (slightly better designed). Have you been to Perth and seen what they have done over here in terms of infrastructure?

What is POROUS ?

Some site links

http://sustainablecities.net/our-work/se...re-costing

http://sustainablecitiescollective.com

Oh one last thing (apologies for wall of text) with The Lake House , ignore the romantic story line and focus on the architecture
She can't be that famous..... Never heard of her before your post.

She looks very similar to my mum.

Oh, please don't apologise for not answering straight away. We all have lives to live and a shit-ton of stuff that requires our attention. When you have time please answer my questions.... Ta muchly. Big Grin

My favourite conservationist is Bill Mollison