Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas
Christmas
Heres a little discussion for my atheist brothers and sisters, do you still celebrate christmas? I know some do and some don't. Leave if you do or don't, and then your reason/s why in the replies.
RE: Christmas
I do not celebrate Christmas for the same reason I do not celebrate any holiday. The celebration of such events simply does not interest me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Well you're missing out a lot Kitanetos, Christmas is a fantastic excuse to eat lots of delicious food and drink lots of alcohol, not to mention the presents!
I celebrate Christmas, but Christmas for me growing up was never about Christianity. Besides, Christmas is just a bunch of stolen ideas from other religions so I don't care.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
I would find it logistically difficult not to celebrate Xmas, or any other major holiday. This is just because my parents are just 21 minutes up the road, and I am dependent on them for certain things. So therefore, if they "invite" me to a holiday celebration, well....I go. But I have several acquaintances who see the nonsense for what it is, and don't do Xmas or especially Thanksgiving. I respect them. The U.S. is an overholidayed country.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I'm in England so I celebrate the days starting to get longer again.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
I celebrate Christmas. Why? Because it's cracking good fun.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've made it clear that I don't do holidays. I tell people if you want to get me a gift because of your holiday cheer, understand you're not getting one back. Same thing with birthdays, I don't celebrate my birthday or anyone else's. My gift to you, is that you don't have to spend money on gifts for me. Enjoy it.

As far as an excuse to eat food and drink excessive amounts of alcohol, I call that a Tuesday afternoon.
No offence Narwhal but I don't think I would want to be your friend.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(May 25, 2014 at 12:29 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: No offence Narwhal but I don't think I would want to be your friend.

No offense taken, but let me ask you who's the better friend. The one that doesn't get gifts 5 days out of the year, or the one that demands gifts 5 days out of the year and holds it over the others head with the consequence of losing the friendship? (Ex. "I can't believe Joey didn't get me anything for my birthday, what a prick, well fuck that guy now!")
Only the commercial aspects.

Jesus can go fuck himself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2339 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Christmas grace Rahn127 5 1279 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25892 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14685 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Christmas Songs Divinity 45 7815 December 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 2 1599 November 19, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: jeebusmubummed
  Atheist and Christmas MattB 34 5079 November 12, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4183 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Atheists at Christmas Wunsbee 55 13802 December 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  The war on Christmas Jacob(smooth) 95 18842 November 16, 2013 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist