Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God?
This question gets asked a lot by religious nuts, how can you atheists found meaning without god?

So I found this wonderful video from Stephen Fry (I hope that this wasn't already posted here)

Enjoy

Quote: Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: We stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more."

-Christopher Hitchens

Quote:“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

-Douglas Adams
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
RE: What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God?
Don't BELIEVE in anything. Strive to understand EVERYTHING
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
We don't need to believe in anything, to see a beautiful sunset you don't need to believe in it, you simply see it, and the same with everything else in life.
Unless you're one of the idiots that caption photos of sunsets as "proof of God"

[Image: zeje3ehy.jpg]
How can I be happy? Well, listening to Stephen Fry discuss humanism is a damned good start.

That was terrific, MWA. Thanks for posting it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, meaning is something we give ourselves, guided by life experiences and the people around us. What we "believe" is entirely up to us. No one can give you meaning in life but yourself.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I understand the need of primitives to find meaning for their little lives in fairy tales.

What I wonder is why they are still primitive today?
(May 26, 2014 at 6:08 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Don't BELIEVE in anything. Strive to understand EVERYTHING

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Perfect!
Dying to live, living to die.
my pop told me when I argue with a "nut" he sees two "nuts", in a meat sack. saggy at that.
They believe in themselves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 452096 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1945 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1459 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8151 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 7948 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2381 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3097 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13532 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4073 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6392 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII