Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things you can do with a mobile phone....
Things you can do with a mobile phone....
So there was this ebay ad for a 8X magnification lens for any mobile and the price was this side of $10 with shipping (from Hong Kong).

I thought - what the hell, it will probably be crap but its not a lot to lose.

It came yesterday:

Just put my phone onto a tripod (free adapter with the lens).

This is with no lens in place:

[Image: IMAG1322.jpg]

This is with the lens inserted without the camera moving at all - so it just zooms in on the centre - I enabled HDR just to soften up the very dark background:

[Image: IMAG1324.jpg]

And this is with turning the camera a little and focusing on the tree.

[Image: IMAG1325.jpg]

Very little barrel distortion, some light loss but otherwise.....someone tell me how they make and sell a lens like this (its actually just an 8X monocular with a screw thread on the eyepiece) for $10 delivered to Greece?

I don't know how either - but I'm pretty impressed they do.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Things you can do with a mobile phone....
It has a touch of chromatic aberration, but heck, $10 ain't bad. I ordered a wide angle lens for my camcorder and it has a similar problem, but again, for the price, it works well enough. Even zooming the camcorder with the wide angle on it works up to a point.

Confused Fall

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things you learn on Cash Cab. Brian37 1 298 July 4, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  So You Think You Can Dance c172 1 994 June 13, 2017 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Anon2381
  Things That Make You Go Aww.... BrianSoddingBoru4 26 2822 July 11, 2016 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  So You Think You Can Dance: "The Next Generation" c172 0 603 May 19, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: c172
  The Amazing Things People Can Do Creed of Heresy 1 1028 January 12, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Violet
  Church Phone Call - Atheist Vs Preacher leo-rcc 6 2722 May 31, 2009 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Samson