Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we do about the villains?
What do we do about the villains?
Right after the guy posted the video below....he went out and killed a bunch of people.

About the 5 minute mark of his rant against women, he talks about destroying all of humanity. Now I have no doubt that if he could destroy humanity, he would have. My concern is this. Technology will make it easier and easier for villains like this man to reek havoc and destruction. My question is how do we protect ourselves from people like this?
RE: What do we do about the villains?
This is 'murrica. Obviously we let him buy all the guns and ammo he wants.

Next question?
Prevention is better than cure.

A proper health care system designed to ensure that people like this get the help they need when they need it. It'll never be perfect, and people will always fall through the cracks. But it's certainly better than doing nothing at all.

I don't know that chaps circumstances. His father (family per se) is undoubtedly rich, so perhaps he did get the care for his aspergers that he needed and it just didn't work? Maybe something set him off on the road to self-annihilation that could never have been stopped?

Guess we won't know now. But I think simply dismissing him as a 'villain' doesn't really focus on the issue as to why he did what he did.

I agree, to a point, that the advance in technology can make it easier for humanity to destroy humanity, but I think that's simplifying the context of the world we live in today. After all, the most destructive force in the world as we know it (nuclear weaponry, advanced bio-weapons utilising and so on) hasn't killed us all yet, and I don't see a reason to think it ever will unless circumstances change. Indeed, it's the every day things that are more likely to kill us; global warming, pollution, destruction of habitats that we need in order to live and the subsequent destruction of other life.

But I'm also hopeful. Technology is an amazing force for good. I'm alive entirely because technology has advanced in medicine, as are many millions of people around the world. Technology can uplift societies by creating innovations in food production, water conservation, medicine and automation. It has proven in the past that it can overcome serious and imminent dangers that threatened to cause untold suffering to the world and its population (eg. smallpox).

We are the masters of our own destiny.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
When the far right starts running pieces by Michael Moore you know things have gone over the top!

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/Michae...dgetphase1

Quote:Moore argues that the "true" symbol of the United States is really "the gun, not the eagle."

"While other countries have more violent pasts (Germany, Japan), more guns per capita in their homes (Canada [mostly hunting guns]), and the kids in most other countries watch the same violent movies and play the same violent video games that our kids play, no one even comes close to killing as many of its own citizens on a daily basis as we do," the documentary filmmaker wrote.

Moore says that "nearly all of our mass shootings are by angry or disturbed white males."

He argues that 90 percent of Americans want tougher laws on guns, but that "Congress refuses" to act.

And of course, there is always the 'blame the victim' crowd to deal with...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/25/an...-with-sex/

Quote:A website popular with the online Pick-up Artist community responded to Elliott Rodger’s murderous Santa Barbara rampage, saying it could have been avoided if Rodger had ‘game,’ like they profess to possess, before concluding that “more people will die” unless society provides men with more “sexual options.”
I'm not one to generalise, but really, why does America have so many weirdo's living there?

"More sexual options"

How do you wake up in the morning and even think that?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
You'd think two hands would be enough, eh?
(May 27, 2014 at 2:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You'd think two hands would be enough, eh?

Cranky

Two hands were good enough for my generation. Now get off my lawn!
(May 27, 2014 at 2:20 pm)Heywood Wrote: My question is how do we protect ourselves from people like this?

Killing them would work,or we could always establish an villain work camp,I think that a bullet or 20 milliamperes of electricity has more worth than this kind of people.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
(May 27, 2014 at 2:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: This is 'murrica. Obviously we let him buy all the guns and ammo he wants.

Next question?

The problem is that California has restrictive gun laws, so no heroic bystander could have whipped out his pair of AKs and had a good old fashioned wild west shootout with the guy and ended up killing another dozen people, because the only person who can kill as many people as a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Not restrictive enough, apparently!