Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the Thinking Man.
For the Thinking Man.
Atheism is a close ended belief system where everything is explained in terms of the natural order of things.
And so ,no god or gods , only nature .
But in nature all things are linked together and everything has precedence which can be traced back to the big bang.
But the problem for the godless is how to explain rational thinking.
Since thoughts are events, all of our thoughts should be fully explainable in mechanical terms, and not to a person’s free-will .. But any thought which is not guided by what is “true” but only by mechanical , physical needs ,is not rational.
And if one comes to his beliefs and thoughts not because he chose it, but because it was all that the total universe would allow, then the" nature is everything"is, basically , self-defeating.
No belief is rational if it can be fully explained in terms of non-rational causes.
If all there is ,is materialism , then all beliefs can be fully explained in terms of non-rational causes.
so if materialism is true, then no belief is rational. If any belief is based that no belief is rationally derived , then it should be rejected ... Therefore materialism ,atheism and nothing but nature should also be rejected ..
but there's more : any notion of good and evil, right and wrong, love and hate, etc., must also be treated as mythical. nothing more than helpful ideas , but ideas with no existence ( ontology) of their own. Life would then be essentially meaningless since its ultimate goal is mere survival, an unattainable goal in a world where death is guaranteed and final.
RE: For the Thinking Man.
Atheism is the rejection of theism - nothing more.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 27, 2014 at 7:25 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Atheism is a close ended belief system

Stopped reading there. When the first line starts with a fallacy the rest can only lead into further fallacies.
Dying to live, living to die.
Got anything else for the thinking woman?
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]
(May 27, 2014 at 7:37 pm)Bittersmart Wrote: Got anything else for the thinking woman?

Chocolate and jewellery.

Wink
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 27, 2014 at 7:37 pm)Bittersmart Wrote: Got anything else for the thinking woman?

Support the leader!
Boy do I get tired of people telling me what I believe.

Can you trace human consciousness in terms of human evolutionary biology. I don't think you can,just thought i'd ask
(May 27, 2014 at 7:50 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote:

Can you trace human consciousness in terms of human evolutionary biology. I don't think you can,just thought i'd ask

Can you do so in terms of anything demonstrable?
(May 27, 2014 at 7:50 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote:

You'd be surprised. That's actually a subject I find incredibly interesting.

Have you ever read Sagan's "Dragons of Eden"?
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I was thinking... dyresand 22 4184 April 22, 2017 at 2:49 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Thinking of death dyresand 27 7219 February 23, 2015 at 3:40 pm
  On Unbelief: II. Thinking About Thinking Mudhammam 0 1102 December 14, 2014 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
Photo Atheism liberated me from pointless thinking,and made my life enjoyable. MountainsWinAgain 72 19009 October 30, 2014 at 10:54 am
  A history text I was thinking attempting Lemonvariable72 8 3206 September 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Is this the atheistic way of thinking Moira 13 5610 September 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Moira
  Thinking about getting a Team-speak Server jpell 2 1490 June 12, 2013 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: jpell
  Study: Analytic thinking can decrease religious belief Ziploc Surprise 4 3147 May 10, 2012 at 12:44 am
Last Post: el_presidente
  atheism and irrational thinking josef rosenkranz 8 4408 May 1, 2012 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Child of Stardust
  Is thinking/ talking to self in head unhealthy? zentor 17 9637 April 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: jackman