Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
Is intelligent design a scientific theory?Yes.

The scientific method is commonly described as a four-step process involving observations, hypothesis, experiments, and conclusion. Intelligent design begins with the observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information (CSI). Design theorists hypothesize that if a natural object was designed, it will contain high levels of CSI. Scientists then perform experimental tests upon natural objects to determine if they contain complex and specified information. One easily testable form of CSI is irreducible complexity, which can be discovered by experimentally reverse-engineering biological structures to see if they require all of their parts to function. When ID researchers find irreducible complexity in biology, they conclude that such structures were designed.

http://www.intelligentdesign.org/
RE: Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
Snacks
(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Is intelligent design a scientific theory?Yes.

The scientific method is commonly described as a four-step process involving observations, hypothesis, experiments, and conclusion. Intelligent design begins with the observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information (CSI). Design theorists hypothesize that if a natural object was designed, it will contain high levels of CSI. Scientists then perform experimental tests upon natural objects to determine if they contain complex and specified information. One easily testable form of CSI is irreducible complexity, which can be discovered by experimentally reverse-engineering biological structures to see if they require all of their parts to function. When ID researchers find irreducible complexity in biology, they conclude that such structures were designed.

No, IT/Creationism is a claim. Look at the many imperfections of the human body. It leads us to conclude that any such designer is incompetent.
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Is intelligent design a scientific theory?Yes.

No, it barely qualifies as a hypothesis.

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: The scientific method is commonly described as a four-step process involving observations, hypothesis, experiments, and conclusion. Intelligent design begins with the observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information (CSI).
Care to define this CSI?

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Design theorists hypothesize that if a natural object was designed, it will contain high levels of CSI.

I'm going to assume you mean 'complexity' when you say CSI. And no, they don't hypothesize that, they assume it and completely ignore all the natural examples of complexity.

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Scientists then perform experimental tests upon natural objects to determine if they contain complex and specified information.
What does that even mean? You still haven't defined what CSI is and yet you're telling us they test for it.

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: One easily testable form of CSI is irreducible complexity,
Oh, I was right, this thread is going to be fun.

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: which can be discovered by experimentally reverse-engineering biological structures to see if they require all of their parts to function.
That is so ridiculous, I cant even.....
They and you, don't understand evolution.

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: When ID researchers find irreducible complexity in biology, they conclude that such structures were designed.

All irreducible complexity means is: 'I don't understand how that came to be so complex'
That does not give you the right to call it god, the correct answer is 'I don't know'
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Why do the males of every species with nipples also have nipples? What purpose do they serve?

Why would God design the human prostate in such a way that ejaculation at least five times a week significantly reduces the risk of developing prostate cancer, then command humans not to masturbate, or have sex out of wedlock?
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn39...4Z0816JdGg

My understanding of Intelligent Design is that an all-powerful, all-present, always-existing magician in the sky created every animal on earth from dirt, perfectly, and created Man in His image. Is that correct?

Can you explain the theory of evolution in your own words, so that I know we're on the same page here?
(May 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Why do the males of every species with nipples also have nipples? What purpose do they serve?

Oh, great idea!

Why does the laryngeal nerve of the giraffe, stretch all the way down and loops around the aorta, just to go all the way back up the neck to the larynx?

Why did god make wisdom teeth?

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Did I design myself?

Yes, I did.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Why do the males of every species with nipples also have nipples? What purpose do they serve?

Practise.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 28, 2014 at 7:49 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Did I design myself?

Yes, I did.

Can't prove you didn't!

Exactly!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2841 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5578 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5016 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1961 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12877 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why and How Did you Kill God? ScienceAf 67 11242 August 28, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2479 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Intelligent Design Veritas 1021 153055 January 16, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How did you become an atheist? Excited Penguin 256 33012 December 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5426 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris