Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Things Will Never Get Better
Why Things Will Never Get Better
An amazing example of political interference in defense issues. The Pentagon wants to retire the A-10, a 1970's vintage aircraft designed to knock out Russian tanks. "FUCK THAT," screeches Governor Brewer of AZ where the A-10's training base is located.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/azdc/2014...g/9522653/

Quote:Gov. Jan Brewer has written to Arizona's Capitol Hill delegation to remind them of the importance of military spending to the state's economy and to encourage them to fight for the A-10 Thunderbolt II and other priorities.

In identical May 19 letters to U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake and all nine U.S. House members, Brewer argued the case against the Pentagon's "sequestration-driven proposals for sweeping cuts to key defense programs" and decisions such as the one to retire all of the A-10s, the durable "Warthog" plane that has proven effective in combat against enemy tanks and armored vehicles. A-10 pilots train at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in southern Arizona.

If only al-Qaeda had tanks and armored vehicles perhaps a case could be made. Instead, we are to be saddled with this dinosaur for eternity because there is a base located in AZ. Needless to say, Rep. Barber who wrote the provision to keep the A-10 flying for another year is a Democrat which makes them no fucking better.
RE: Why Things Will Never Get Better
Pork oink oink
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(May 31, 2014 at 4:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: If only al-Qaeda had tanks and armored vehicles perhaps a case could be made. Instead, we are to be saddled with this dinosaur for eternity because there is a base located in AZ.

Indeed. The A-10 made a fuckton of sense when the Army's most likely foe was the Soviet Union (who at the time had about a bazillion metric fucktons of tanks).

The A-10's primary intended role was to reduce T-72's to swiss cheese with the GAU-8/U primary cannon and AGM-65 air-to-surface missiles. It's other role is a close-air-support platform utilizing cluster bombs and rocket pods. It can also be used to deliver laser-guided bombs but IMHO it is not a good platform for that purpose.

IMHO, the only good argument for retaining the platform is that it's intended replacement is the F-35 joint strike fighter, which is an enormous money pit. The F-35 appears to me to be a platform in search of a mission.
Quote: which is an enormous money pit.

A fact which brings a tear to defense contractor's eyes, no doubt.

I'm about 6 miles from Luke AFB where the JSF* is going to have its training facility. Whenever one flies over my wife asks "is that the sound of 'freedom?'" I usually reply "it's the sound of money burning."

* http://www.alternet.org/fail-400-billion...dy-weather

Quote:According to one of its supporters, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is not "what our troops need," is "too costly" and "poorly managed," and its "present difficulties are too numerous to detail."

The F-35 is a case study of government failure at all levels - civilian and military, federal, state, local, even airport authority.
Defense appropriations needs a radical change to eliminate this type of shit. My proposal is to cap defense spending at 3.5% GDP (2000 level and lowest since WWII). Nobody can make a ridiculous readiness argument at this level.

The DoD has their allowance and can make appropriate mission fulfullment decisions. Only a declaration of war by congress, that pesky little constitutional requirement, can trigger increased spending.
(May 31, 2014 at 6:31 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 4:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: If only al-Qaeda had tanks and armored vehicles perhaps a case could be made. Instead, we are to be saddled with this dinosaur for eternity because there is a base located in AZ.

Indeed. The A-10 made a fuckton of sense when the Army's most likely foe was the Soviet Union (who at the time had about a bazillion metric fucktons of tanks).

The A-10's primary intended role was to reduce T-72's to swiss cheese with the GAU-8/U primary cannon and AGM-65 air-to-surface missiles. It's other role is a close-air-support platform utilizing cluster bombs and rocket pods. It can also be used to deliver laser-guided bombs but IMHO it is not a good platform for that purpose.

IMHO, the only good argument for retaining the platform is that it's intended replacement is the F-35 joint strike fighter, which is an enormous money pit. The F-35 appears to me to be a platform in search of a mission.

I can think of many conflicts we could get into where an A-10 would be an effective system. However If the Army doesn't want them, then lets get rid of them.

We keep building M1 tanks that the Army doesn't want any more of for political reason. I'd like politics taken out of defense programs completely. Let the people charged with defending the country buy what they want, or keep what they want, with the money that we give them.
(May 31, 2014 at 8:47 pm)Heywood Wrote: I can think of many conflicts we could get into where an A-10 would be an effective system.

Sure, so can I. Not any likely ones, however - and that's really the point. The military trains and appropriates(*) for likely threats, not any possible threat.

(*) Subject to political interference, of course.
(May 31, 2014 at 9:06 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 8:47 pm)Heywood Wrote: I can think of many conflicts we could get into where an A-10 would be an effective system.

Sure, so can I. Not any likely ones, however - and that's really the point. The military trains and appropriates(*) for likely threats, not any possible threat.

(*) Subject to political interference, of course.

A-10 would be a huge asset in a conflict on the Korean peninsula and I would classify an action there as likely as anywhere else.

But if the military wants to get rid of them....let them.
It still amazes me that anyone believes that republicans actually are financially responsible. As soon as it affects their state or their political position, you can't spend enough for them. They just want to make sure to cut funding to any democratic state or constituients.
(May 31, 2014 at 9:11 pm)Heywood Wrote: A-10 would be a huge asset in a conflict on the Korean peninsula and I would classify an action there as likely as anywhere else.

But if the military wants to get rid of them....let them.

The AH-64 Longbow Apache is a far superior anti-tank platform. The A-10 served well and should be retired.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is republic better than monarchy? FlatAssembler 18 901 September 13, 2022 at 12:03 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I dont get why Americans are complaining about Monarchy Woah0 0 490 September 10, 2022 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Woah0
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1771 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1108 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Christianity as religious institution in politics over islamic is sadly almost better Kimba02 3 292 April 11, 2019 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2164 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Laws Are No Better Than The Fuckheads Who Enforce Them Minimalist 2 616 April 3, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Never Ending Story: Another Investigation A Theist 10 1329 February 6, 2018 at 7:00 pm
  Why do people get angry seeing a Burqa ErGingerbreadMandude 65 9682 October 4, 2017 at 11:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Trump never won. WinterHold 8 2830 May 31, 2017 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy