Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matt Dillahunty v. Sye Ten Bruggencate
Matt Dillahunty v. Sye Ten Bruggencate
How has this not been posted yet?

BTW, listening to the Dogma Debate episode w/ STB and Ken Ham (Episode #127) following this debate and I want to shoot myself in the head.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: Matt Dillahunty v. Sye Ten Bruggencate
(June 3, 2014 at 7:29 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: How has this not been posted yet?

BTW, listening to the Dogma Debate episode w/ STB and Ken Ham (Episode #127) following this debate and I want to shoot myself in the head.

I'm not sure, but I'm never against more Dillahunty.
I could do without the other guy though
Many thanks for posting this - I saw the promo for it on The Atheist Experience pre-show and promptly missed it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Personally, I don't care to watch anything with Sye Ten in it for love or money. I think I'd rather stab myself in the face.
I just finished the DD episode and I kept having to pause it and take breaks whenever Sye or Ken started talking. At one point in the episode Sye said something like, "You can't make sense of the next thought in your head" I don't know about David, but my next thought was "You're an asshole, Sye and I can make perfect sense of that thought."

Anyway, I thought Matt's performance was really strong, especially his rebuttal to Sye. Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(June 3, 2014 at 8:13 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Personally, I don't care to watch anything with Sye Ten in it for love or money. I think I'd rather stab myself in the face.

I've never heard of sye ten untill I saw this debate, after watching the whole thing I have to say I second you on that one.

Gawd, I hope I never sounded that ridiculous when I was a Christian.
We actually had Sye Bruggencate signed up to the Connecticut Valley Atheists forum for a while. He's just as frustratingly obtuse in (virtual) person as on video. Let's just say FSTDT did very well out of us.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Sye was a shit-eating moron like usual. The quote mines were so obvious I can't even believe he doesn't know he's doing it.

While Sye certainly didn't win the debate, I wasn't all that impressed by Matt's philosophical case. Foundherentism being mentioned was nice, but he didn't seem express his case for it too well. Also, I don't think he shouldn't have gone with a Correspondence theory of truth (even though I kind of like them). A deflationary theory or semantic theory - from the little I've read of them - seem more apt to deal with the criticisms people like Sye raise.

Matt was correct at the end that Sye and all these other similar Presuppositionalists are just engaged in Kindergarten Philosophy, more specifically, Kindergarten Epistemology and Kindergarten Metaphysics of Logic. That's why philosophers who here Sye and his ilk make these arguments usually just ignore them, because aside from outright stating he cannot possibly be wrong, it reflects an absurdly ignorant understanding of the relevant topics given the Presupps' arrogant assertions about these topics.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(June 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Sye was a shit-eating moron like usual. The quote mines were so obvious I can't even believe he doesn't know he's doing it.

I think the fact that he doesn't seem to recognize how blatant his quote mines are and how he simply plows ahead when his shit is called out (like when he's called out on quote mining) points to his level of delusion.
To save you 2 hours you won't get back:

Sye's argument was:

1. God exists and Sye could not possibly be wrong.
2. Matt says that Matt could possibly be wrong about things.
3. Therefore God exists and is the Christian God of the bible (but this part was hardly mentioned, just assumed)

The debate was mostly about point 2, with lots of stupid wordplay and trying to define the word "know".

The quote mining was a bit weird.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matt 1:25, not a virgin Fake Messiah 8 596 October 13, 2023 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Satanic Temple’s Seven Tenets Are Morally Superior To Ten Commandments Smedders 0 518 December 29, 2019 at 6:33 am
Last Post: Smedders
  How thick is Matt Slick? Nihilist Virus 77 8011 June 16, 2016 at 6:51 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Remove Ten Commandments IATIA 28 6618 September 13, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Ten Commandments Mudhammam 22 5382 August 11, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Top Ten Persecution Stories of 2014 Foxaèr 7 2892 January 11, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Proposed Revisal of the Ten Commandments RonaldReagansGhost666 11 3337 January 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Local public school community supporting ten commandments posted on property Skylar 12 5332 September 8, 2012 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ten Reasons I'm Not a Christian Thor 120 49590 January 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Abracadabra
  The immorality of the ten commandments. BloodyHeretic 3 3568 June 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Castle