Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeless Veteran: My Life Now
Homeless Veteran: My Life Now
If you read my intro on how I became homeless, this is an post-followup on how I made it back from the brink

Many times through out being homeless and starving away in the streets, I had friends whom parents knew me for 16 years or more, they were rich living in 6 bedroom homes in fancy neighborhoods. I'd come over to see my friend, his parents knew I was homeless but couldn't be bothered to help me (giving me a room for 1-night was I guess too much of burden) EXTREMELY christian family irony right, they work for a HUGE church!

I heard many a times "i'll pray for you", which translated into "I have the money, the resources, and the ability to give to change your circumstances . . . but I don't want to be bothered"

My buddy having no say over his parents choices was kind enough to feed me behind their backs, and even sneak me into the shower once or twice a month!

Any how, somehow my military service had reached US Congressman Buck McKeon.

(Keep in mind during this time I had a cell phone that was paid by my friend)

I got a call from someone in the house of representatives, who oddly knew where I was living (alley way behind starbucks - all you can drink water and early restroom!)

He said "I will be at starbucks in 1 hour"

So this guy in a fancy suit shows up with a huge box of HOT food, (had not eaten in forever)

SIDE NOTE: being homeless and staring through the glass window as others mindlessly eat, and knowing you will never have food again is horrible!

Anyway HOT FOOD, man tons of it, so good!

We sit down at this table, I smell horrible, tired, im filthy, and here this classy man in a suit sits in front of me, talking to me.

He lays this folder down, and says "I have your service record, I see you were put in for a [insert medal] for [insert deed]"

he then goes on to say "Congressman Buck McKeon sent me to get you, by the end of the day we are going to have you off the streets and into a hotel."

I thought the man was crazy, who cared about me? Homeless veterans are a dime a dozen. But I thought hey, free food.

But that afternoon I was placed in a NICE hotel, Large bed, SHOWER, they even filled my fridge with food and bought me clothes.

I was able to clean up, and actually eat, get sleep, and shower.

After a month I managed to land a job, saved up rented my own room.

Now I am married living in my own 2-bedroom apartment driving around in my nice car.

(Met my wife when I was homeless, she use to come visit me in the alley way where I lived)

I was homeless for YEARS.

and here is the kicker, it took 1 person to care enough to get me a room to stay in.

That one person changed my life. Gave me my life back. I am graduating college the end of this month.

But what drives me through the ground is, all these 'christians' who were living well above their means with ample resources to help someone in need didn't, because they could not be bothered.
[Image: 2jcyf5t.jpg]
RE: Homeless Veteran: My Life Now
What a story!
Makes my life sound real dull and boring, in comparison.
Re: RE: Homeless Veteran: My Life Now
They knew God was taking care of you. And look how you turned out. It is a testament of God's grace. :angel:

Quote:Matthew 6

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
You don't have to be a veteran to be homeless, but yes. It DOES take that ONE CHANCE to be able to turn your life into a success story

No god necessary.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Well, they did say they would pray for you. Guess you'll never doubt the power of that again. Undecided

Good ole' God. Was He testing you up until his church goers got their prayer warrior game on? Or maybe you were just a piece in the test he was administering to those churchy folk. I guess He wanted to see if they would faithlessly help you themselves or have faith that He'd take care of it. Charity is mine sayeth the lord.
(June 4, 2014 at 4:27 am)BlackSwordsman Wrote: That one person changed my life. Gave me my life back. I am graduating college the end of this month.

But what drives me through the ground is, all these 'christians' who were living well above their means with ample resources to help someone in need didn't, because they could not be bothered.
You know that buck McKeon was a Mormon missionary, went to Brigham Young, and thinks warfare is necessary to keep America free as a base for Mormon missionaries, right?
I cannot even imagine.

I am a veteran as well, but was lucky.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Ex-soldier myself, your story has actually inspired me to help a homeless person myself.
(June 4, 2014 at 9:53 am)whateverist Wrote: Well, they did say they would pray for you. Guess you'll never doubt the power of that again. Undecided

Good ole' God. Was He testing you up until his church goers got their prayer warrior game on? Or maybe you were just a piece in the test he was administering to those churchy folk. I guess He wanted to see if they would faithlessly help you themselves or have faith that He'd take care of it. Charity is mine sayeth the lord.

Prayer had nothing to do with anything, it's as useless as wishing upon a star, only through physical actions can change by made, I can pray till I am blue in the face to get a job . . .

BUT the only way I am going to get a job is to make it happen myself.

All those people that "prayed for me" instead of actually doing something, were failing me, instead of saying "i will pray for you" try telling someone "I will wish for you!"

It was action, physical 'im going to do something myself' action that made change happen
[Image: 2jcyf5t.jpg]
[Image: KldWzsK.gif]

He just bought his first house after being homeless.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm organizing a donation drive for the unsheltered homeless in my area Jackalope 38 3498 February 17, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The Homeless Shake RozKek 69 6606 July 1, 2016 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2093 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Veteran's day shout out to those who sacrificed to protect and defend. Whateverist 8 1254 November 13, 2014 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Minimalist