Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Athiest Stuck On A Mission
An Athiest Stuck On A Mission
Hey, just set up an account. I am afraid I don't know any of the forum protocal, but I really need some guidance.

I have been an athiest for 4 years, but I have never told anyone. Almost all of my friends and my family believe that I am a fully practicing member of the LDS church. I am currently on a mission in England, but I want to get out. Unfortunatly, I know exactly 0 athiests, and will have no support from anyone when I return home.

I need help. I need advice on what to do, whether I should leave, where I should go to find fellow athiests, and on how to survive this destruction of my entire social support system. Please, if there is anyone with a word of advice, or anyone willing to start a running dialouge, please post!!
RE: An Athiest Stuck On A Mission
How old are you? Are you financially independent?

If not, it may be best to bite the bullet until you are :/
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
Welcome from Perth Western Australia.

StY on this forum long enough and you will connect with someone who can help.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Where abouts in England? There's an LDS church not far from me in Birmingham and I often see a lot of Mormons walking around trying to talk to people.

If you can connect with one of us Brits here you could always talk to us, as a starter, at least. You're more likely to talk to an atheist when talking to a Brit than anything else.

Welcome to the forum. I hope someone can give you the advice you're after.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(June 4, 2014 at 9:53 am)DuesExMachina Wrote: Hey, just set up an account. I am afraid I don't know any of the forum protocal, but I really need some guidance.

I have been an athiest for 4 years, but I have never told anyone. Almost all of my friends and my family believe that I am a fully practicing member of the LDS church. I am currently on a mission in England, but I want to get out. Unfortunatly, I know exactly 0 athiests, and will have no support from anyone when I return home.

I need help. I need advice on what to do, whether I should leave, where I should go to find fellow athiests, and on how to survive this destruction of my entire social support system. Please, if there is anyone with a word of advice, or anyone willing to start a running dialouge, please post!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx_P39KZZCI

This is a podcast 15 minutes in he talks about coming out as an atheist and when it is and may not be a good idea it may help you.
[Image: 2jcyf5t.jpg]
There are a couple organization dedicated to helping LDS members navigate leaving the church and coping with associated family and social consequences.

http://www.exmormon.org/

http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/home

The insular nature of the LDS church and its coercive infiltration in all aspects of members' lives, particularly the expectation that the church is to be valued more than the family or its individuals, makes the threat of total alienation very real. The stories at the above sites are very telling and will at a minimum let you know that you're not the first or alone. You will likely be able to make contact with people that have very similar experiences.

As far as searching for fellow atheists....
Except for my time at AF.org I never intentionally seek out fellow atheists. I get on with meeting new people anywhere and everywhere. Sometimes the conversation is short, but other times new acquaintances are made after stumbling upon shared interests and/or experiences. Religion rarely comes up unless the relationship develops further and by then each of us has been exposed to plenty of other qualities with which to evaluate one another. On occasion the relationship will change depending on the other's view of my atheism, but that's their problem. There are plenty of other people in the world. This is the same for any number of personal characteristics, not just religion.

I can only assume of course, but think that in addition to the insular nature of the church that your current occupation as a missionary drives some of your apprehension. Kicking someone in the skull with your religion (or lack thereof) upon introduction is a huge turnoff. People will immediately treat you as the church's mouthpiece and never get a chance to evaluate the real you. In my experience, religion is way down on the pecking order of things to be discussed when engaging strangers.

I also recommend activities that align with interests: music (or other arts), sporting events/activities, hobbies. New interactions are always easier with a known shared interest.

Last but not least, stick around here. Perhaps it's not the same as live interaction, but there are plenty of personalities and passions to bounce your ideas and even frustrations on.

Welcome.
You're in England? Talk to anyone on the street who doesn't wear a cross or some other religious symbol. You will have a good chance that person is, at least, agnostic-atheist.
DuesExMachina, what part of England are you in? You can PM me if you don't want to give out that info publicly. If it helps I am in Warwickshire.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
And another, this time North West England / North Wales.
Atheists are all around you, we just don't normally go around advertising the fact (as christians get offended if we are seen to exist).
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Welcome. I can understand. I do not know many Atheist. Outside this forum, I only know maybe four or five Atheist.

Hmmm maybe I should get out more.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Athiest Versus Christianity bounce840 44 14652 June 5, 2013 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Terr
  Why hate Athiest? frz 176 47528 March 20, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  What happens when an athiest goes to a pentacostal church? "funny story" JohnDG 19 9986 May 16, 2011 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Cinjin