Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parts of the Bible theists on this board ignore
Parts of the Bible theists on this board ignore
I want to start collecting lines of scripture that apply either to deliberate trolling by theists, or deliberate provocation by insinuations that secular people are amoral.

I've noticed a common trend in theists who visit the board: self-righteous, conceited condemnation of secularism, accusations of immoral behavior, to outright accusations of being "Godless filth."

Specifically those who are here with intent to harass, irritate, provoke, and then claim persecution or superior "moral character" when insults are returned.

Here are some to start it off:

Colossians 3:21 You fathers, do not be exasperating your children, so that they do not become downhearted.

Ephesians 6:4 And you, fathers, do not be irritating your children, but go on bringing them up in the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah

Proverbs 10:18 ESV The one who conceals hatred has lying lips, and whoever utters slander is a fool.

Psalm 101:5 Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure.

Proverbs 12:16 ESV The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult.

Exodus 23:1 ESV “You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with a wicked man to be a malicious witness."

Leviticus 19:16 ESV You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord.

Matthew 6:14-15 ESV For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Luke 3:14 “Do not harass anybody or accuse anybody falsely, but be satisfied with your provisions.”

Psalm 36:2 For he flattereth himself in his own eyes, until his iniquity is found hateful.

Psalm 6:19 God abhors.....A false witness that speaketh lies, and soweth discord among the brethren.

1 John 2:4 ESV Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him
RE: Parts of the Bible theists on this board ignore
There's also the bit in 2 Thessalonians (can't be arsed to look up chapter and verse at the moment) which says, 'And for this reason, God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie.'

Well, if God is willing to delude people into believing lies, then why should we trust anything that his followers say he says?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 5, 2014 at 7:32 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There's also the bit in 2 Thessalonians (can't be arsed to look up chapter and verse at the moment) which says, 'And for this reason, God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie.'

Well, if God is willing to delude people into believing lies, then why should we trust anything that his followers say he says?

Boru

There was a guest on TTA who quoted this, and asked since Abraham was deliberately deceived, with God already knowing the outcome, and the extent of Abraham's faith, why would he ask Abraham to sacrifice his son as a "test of faith" other than a willingness to deceive?

And given that, how can anyone trust anything God says? If you have children, and they have a beloved family pet that dies, what do you tell them?

"Don't worry, honey, he's going to a better place." You know for a fact there is no "Puppy Heaven" or "Hamster Heaven" or a "Goldfish Heaven" in the bible, so you just lied to protect your child.

How can anyone trust God isn't doing the same with the afterlife?
I have found this useful:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
King James Version (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

So the religiousites are stuck with ALL OF IT. Every whack-a-doodle edict, stricture, rule, decree and regulation.
Hey, they ignore all those parts they think shopuldn't apply to them.

You mention the OT and then they say it's not valid anymore because it is replaced with the NT.

Then they quote from the 10 commandments and ignore you when you point ot thtat they're in the OT.
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 5, 2014 at 10:59 pm)Beccs Wrote: Hey, they ignore all those parts they think shopuldn't apply to them.

You mention the OT and then they say it's not valid anymore because it is replaced with the NT.

Then they quote from the 10 commandments and ignore you when you point ot thtat they're in the OT.

And Jesus himself, when asked how many to keep, listed only 5!

Not that we are debating degrees here . . . oh. maybe we are.
Any of them who claim the bullshit of the old vs. the new covenant when confronted on their failure to keep to old testament law. Jebus himself (allegedly) claimed that he did not come to overturn the old laws and even went so far as to say that any who left out even the least of the old laws would be among the least in heaven.

Chapter and verse? Can't recall and don't currently have the time or inclination to find it. I probably would track it down to throw it in a christer's face though.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Matthew 5:17 (I think), the bit where Jesus says the law still applies.

They don't like the fact that God thinks houses can get leprosy. They also ignore the fact that God doesn't know how to cure leprosy or if he does he's a devious lying sack of shit.
I'm not sure if this is the type of thing you want, but Jesus specifically says that unless you are as credulous as a child, you can't go to heaven!

Matthew 18:3
Quote:3 and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

I suppose a theist could turn it around and say that because we refuse to have faith like children, we won't understand, but that's honestly a shitty argument. You could use that to justify belief in Santa Clause.
All the many commands to sell all you have, and give to the poor.

Luke 12
32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Luke 14
33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

And more. Christians don't actually follow the commands of Jesus, never will.
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rep removed from board of Christian charity Foxaèr 13 1202 August 5, 2020 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7449 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 18787 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Good theists... Parts 1 and 2 merged ScienceAf 72 10577 October 12, 2016 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4857 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  I actually think the school board got this right Minimalist 3 1148 November 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Prove the bible is unnecessary, atheist / Prove it is necessary, theists MusicLovingAtheist 18 4616 September 20, 2014 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8057 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Ignore the hero - thank God! Welsh cake 15 4018 April 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Cinjin