Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University College London’s Nietzsche Club Is Banned
Quote:Can debates about right-wing philosophers encourage fascism? That’s what the University College London students’ union decided when it barred the Nietzsche Club from holding meetings.

More than a century after Friedrich Nietzsche urged us to cast aside the standard rules of morality and move Beyond Good and Evil, a college philosophy society named in his honor has been banned for being too nasty.

The Nietzsche Club was barred from holding meetings at University College London after a ruling that discussions about right-wing philosophers could encourage fascism and endanger the student body. As well as Nietzsche, a favorite of Benito Mussolini, the philosophers to be studied included Julius Evola and Martin Heidegger, who have been cited as inspiration by far-right politicians.

-The student society was never allowed to hold a public meeting after a series of posters advertising the new group appeared on campus. One asked if there was “too much political correctness?” Another claimed: “Equality is a false God.”

Wait,since when was Nietzsche an fascist,racist or an sexists? What the hell?

Still thinking of Nietzsche as a right wing philosopher? Pretty ignorant.What the hell do this people think when they read Nietzsche you must be an complete idiot to confuse him with racism.

Quote:Now it has gone so far that I have to defend myself hand and foot against people who confuse me with these anti-Semitic canaille; after my own sister, my former sister, and after Widemann more recently have given the impetus to this most dire of all confusions. After I read the name Zarathustra in the anti-Semitic Correspondence my forbearance came to an end. I am now in a position of emergency defense against your spouse's Party. These accursed anti-Semite deformities shall not sully my ideal!!

Nietzsche Banned
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
RE: University College London’s Nietzsche Club Is Banned
I agree that Nietzsche is not really right-wing. However we don't really know from this article just what the agenda of this society really was. The university could be perfectly justified (in their eyes) in shutting them down.

That said, I grow more and more skeptical of organisations and governing bodies consistently blocking freedom of speech and thought. It's actually pretty damn ironic how by so many institutions in the UK attempting to ban 'racist or fascist' material, they are in fact turning this place more and more into a fascist fucking state where no one can really say what they think.
So, a bunch of college students in Great Britain are getting together to discuss philosophers and it occurs to no one it is just another excuse for a group of flagellates to get together ??

Big Grin
(June 7, 2014 at 8:59 am)vorlon13 Wrote: So, a bunch of college students in Great Britain are getting together to discuss philosophers and it occurs to no one it is just another excuse for a group of flagellates to get together ??

Big Grin

Aren't all university societies exactly that?
Except for the few that are into caning.
(June 7, 2014 at 6:49 am)MountainsWinAgain Wrote:
Quote:Can debates about right-wing philosophers encourage fascism? That’s what the University College London students’ union decided when it barred the Nietzsche Club from holding meetings.

More than a century after Friedrich Nietzsche urged us to cast aside the standard rules of morality and move Beyond Good and Evil, a college philosophy society named in his honor has been banned for being too nasty.

The Nietzsche Club was barred from holding meetings at University College London after a ruling that discussions about right-wing philosophers could encourage fascism and endanger the student body. As well as Nietzsche, a favorite of Benito Mussolini, the philosophers to be studied included Julius Evola and Martin Heidegger, who have been cited as inspiration by far-right politicians.

-The student society was never allowed to hold a public meeting after a series of posters advertising the new group appeared on campus. One asked if there was “too much political correctness?” Another claimed: “Equality is a false God.”

Wait,since when was Nietzsche an fascist,racist or an sexists? What the hell?

Still thinking of Nietzsche as a right wing philosopher? Pretty ignorant.What the hell do this people think when they read Nietzsche you must be an complete idiot to confuse him with racism.

Quote:Now it has gone so far that I have to defend myself hand and foot against people who confuse me with these anti-Semitic canaille; after my own sister, my former sister, and after Widemann more recently have given the impetus to this most dire of all confusions. After I read the name Zarathustra in the anti-Semitic Correspondence my forbearance came to an end. I am now in a position of emergency defense against your spouse's Party. These accursed anti-Semite deformities shall not sully my ideal!!

Nietzsche Banned

These are the same kind of proper idiots who think Nietzsche would have supported Naziism, because they never bothered to actually read Nietzsche.
Officials authoritatively close a philosophy club out of fear that it may engender authoritarian ideas?

Pffff!!! Big Grin
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Ah yes, Nietzsche . . . the guy who loathed the Reich and excoriated his fellow Germans every chance he got; the person (one of damned few in the 19th Century) who was outspokenly anti-anti-Semitic; the man who repeatedly encouraged his readers to transcend the petty prejudices of nationalism in the interest of becoming good Europeans. Yeah, sounds pretty fucking right-wing to me.

Of course, the society's antics wouldn't have surprised him much, given his views of herd morality.
How absurd. I was browsing some of the other societies at UCL. Where is the fear of an increase in epee assaults due to the Fencing Society? Nobody could possibly become radicalized from any of the numerous religious societies could they? And then there is the American Society ha ha.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trans women banned from world chess LinuxGal 37 2782 October 15, 2023 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Vegan couple banned from owning pets Foxaèr 11 965 May 9, 2021 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Face coverings in public banned Foxaèr 10 701 March 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 1511 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 2916 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  London police to roll out facial recognition CCTV Duty 22 1471 January 24, 2020 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: Fireball
Exclamation London: Barbarians in the Bahraini Embassy ReptilianPeon 0 393 August 7, 2019 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  The unvaccinated banned from public. brewer 4 438 March 26, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ghanem Almasarir, Saudi Human Rights Activist attacked in London WinterHold 3 605 October 12, 2018 at 4:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Gay conversion therapy' to be banned as part of LGBT equality plan possibletarian 9 1214 July 4, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Amarok