Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same source etc, but different religions ?
Same source etc, but different religions ?
I was wondering why there are three separate religions when the Jews, Christians, and Muslims claimed to receive the revelations from the same source ? They share the same source, same Prophets, same history and story etc, but then it is three separate religions? If we look at the Jews and the Christians, we can say that they read the same Book but then it is two separate religions? Why ?

I believe there is no religion in Judaism, Christianity and Islam because these facts don't make sense to me.
RE: Same source etc, but different religions ?
[Image: richard-dawson-survey-says.jpg]
Well early Christians weren't really differentiated from the Jews. They were considered a sect of Judaism until the religion started getting significant Gentile converts. Muhammad traveled a lot and obvious had exposure to the bible and most of the Qu'ran reads like a poorly remembered rendition of the bible. So it's obviously based largely on a mixture of Christianity, Middle Eastern morality and Muhammad's personal ethics. Not a huge mystery. Were you expecting some supernatural reason?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
The three are radically different.
God made eternal promises to the Jewish people, they were His chosen vehicle to bring the Redeemer into the world (whom they largely rejected).
The promises are still outstanding and will be fulfilled.

True Christianity is the trust in the Redeemer (no one merits Paradise by their "Good" behavior).

The above is why there is a New Covenant.

Islam came about when Mohammad's words were reject by the Jews and Christians.
Mohammad was visited by a spirit giving him revelations opposed to Judiasim and Christianity. So he set up his own religion.
The god of Islam (word means "Submission") is NOT the God of the bible because Islam contradicts the eternal promises God made to Israel and the Jews.
(June 12, 2014 at 4:07 pm)muslimatheism Wrote: I was wondering why there are three separate religions when the Jews, Christians, and Muslims claimed to receive the revelations from the same source ? They share the same source, same Prophets, same history and story etc, but then it is three separate religions? If we look at the Jews and the Christians, we can say that they read the same Book but then it is two separate religions? Why ?

I believe there is no religion in Judaism, Christianity and Islam because these facts don't make sense to me.
I think at some point a religion gets so outdated that it just doesn't get the job done anymore. The older the religion gets, the more readily modern people will see it as mythology or metaphor, rather than as a vehicle for truth.

Every once in a while, you need a real-life miracle worker to come in and inject some inspiration: "Look, God is real, and he has a new message just for our generation!" Joseph Smith and the Mormons are a perfect example. Stupid, stupid religion, but distinctly American-- so many Americans gravitated toward it.
So the idea of religion is from men? ie. it is man made?
(June 12, 2014 at 6:25 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Well early Christians weren't really differentiated from the Jews. They were considered a sect of Judaism until the religion started getting significant Gentile converts. Muhammad traveled a lot and obvious had exposure to the bible and most of the Qu'ran reads like a poorly remembered rendition of the bible. So it's obviously based largely on a mixture of Christianity, Middle Eastern morality and Muhammad's personal ethics. Not a huge mystery. Were you expecting some supernatural reason?

^^^YUP^^^

(June 12, 2014 at 6:31 pm)professor Wrote: The three are radically different.
God made eternal promises to the Jewish people, they were His chosen vehicle to bring the Redeemer into the world (whom they largely rejected).
The promises are still outstanding and will be fulfilled.

True Christianity is the trust in the Redeemer (no one merits Paradise by their "Good" behavior).

The above is why there is a New Covenant.

Islam came about when Mohammad's words were reject by the Jews and Christians.
Mohammad was visited by a spirit giving him revelations opposed to Judiasim and Christianity. So he set up his own religion.
The god of Islam (word means "Submission") is NOT the God of the bible because Islam contradicts the eternal promises God made to Israel and the Jews.

^^^NOPE^^^
Christianity and judaism parted ways after Christ came because the jewish establishment wouldn't accept him as the anticipated messiah, but the first christians were jews. Prior to that they share the same history. I not all that familiar with the history of Islam, but I think Muhammad claimed to have direct revelation from God and believed that jews and christians had interpreted events incorrectly. Perhaps one of the muslim members can clarify this.
(June 12, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Lek Wrote: Christianity and judaism parted ways after Christ came because the jewish establishment wouldn't accept him as the anticipated messiah. Prior to that they share the same history.
(partial quote - bold added by me)

[Image: wrong.gif]
(June 12, 2014 at 4:07 pm)muslimatheism Wrote: I was wondering why there are three separate religions when the Jews, Christians, and Muslims claimed to receive the revelations from the same source ?
God was hedging his bets.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10543 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Countries that speak a different language to the religion they are aligned with flag UniverseCaptain 25 1628 October 3, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  We are all the same species.. Brian37 32 3194 July 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1854 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2783 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3487 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11138 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3737 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10880 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12867 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus