Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth may have underground 'ocean' three times that on surface
I can only imagine what our believing friends will conclude from this. There was enough flood water after all..

http://gu.com/p/3q486
RE: Earth may have underground 'ocean' three times that on surface
(June 13, 2014 at 8:23 am)TubbyTubby Wrote: I can only imagine what our believing friends will conclude from this. There was enough flood water after all..

Three times as much water as in the ocean is not sufficient to submerge all land on earth. Himalayas and Andes will remain as islands.
Quote:If just 1% of the weight of mantle rock located in the transition zone was water it would be equivalent to nearly three times the amount of water in our oceans, Jacobsen said.

The study used data from the USArray, a network of seismometers across the US that measure the vibrations of earthquakes, combined with Jacobsen’s lab experiments on rocks simulating the high pressures found more than 600km underground.

It produced evidence that melting and movement of rock in the transition zone – hundreds of kilometres down, between the upper and lower mantles – led to a process where water could become fused and trapped in the rock.
In other words, a lot of this is speculation and hypothesizing. It's exciting because it helps us to better understand how the planet formed and apparently it may confirm hypotheses from scientists who felt that there had to be water in the Earth's mantle. Creationists will probably latch onto this as evidence of the Biblical flood. But I would bet that given time, what we learn would not further any sort of global flood narrative, at which point creationists would insist that the scientists must be doing it wrong.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 13, 2014 at 8:23 am)TubbyTubby Wrote: I can only imagine what our believing friends will conclude from this. There was enough flood water after all..

Wasn't the flood supposed to have covered all land?

Quote:Jacobsen told the New Scientist that the hidden water might also act as a buffer for the oceans on the surface, explaining why they have stayed the same size for millions of years. "If [the stored water] wasn't there, it would be on the surface of the Earth, and mountaintops would be the only land poking out," he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/...on-surface

And never mind the lack of any evidence for a flood of that scale...
Actually, this is old, and incomplete, news.

The upper bound of the total inventory of water in earth's mantle by modern estimate have long since gone way beyond 3 times the total volume in the ocean. 20-50 times is not unreasonable.

Most of the water in the earth is likely to be permenently sequested in the mantle and have never and would never come out. The question is how much of the water is in communication with the surface (ie the particular molecules are likely to reach the surface at least once during earth's life, certainly not all at once)

Also, the oceans have not remained the same size. Early in earth's history the total volume of water on the surface was much greater. Some estimate 50% greater. Water have been steadily consumed into the mantle at subduction zones since at least 2.5 billion years ago, and the consumed water has not returned to the surface through volcanos and other forms of outgassing at nearly the same rate as it is being consumed. So total inventory of surface water on earth has steadily decreased.

If plate tectonics does not stop, then the subduction process will likely consume all the oceans on the surface of the earth long before the sun goes red giant. When that happens, there will only be a small isolated lakes and oasis on the surface subsisting on the water vapor being outgassed from any ongoing volcanic activities, balanced by the loss of water vapor to space.
Home sweet home Chuck..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote: Creationists will probably latch onto this as evidence of the Biblical flood.

They are the personification of the saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." In fact, pretty much "no knowledge" describes them.

Still, their fucking bible does not say that ringwoodite fell for 40 days.
(June 13, 2014 at 11:34 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: Creationists will probably latch onto this as evidence of the Biblical flood.

They are the personification of the saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." In fact, pretty much "no knowledge" describes them.

Still, their fucking bible does not say that ringwoodite fell for 40 days.

If when geologists say "there is enough water in the earth", creationists believe them, who do creationists not believe them when the same geologists say "it has never been on the surface"?
(June 13, 2014 at 11:02 am)Chuck Wrote: Most of the water in the earth is likely to be permenently sequested in the mantle and have never and would never come out. The question is how much of the water is in communication with the surface (ie the particular molecules are likely to reach the surface at least once during earth's life, certainly not all at once)

Exactly. I hated the use of 'ocean' in the title. As I read the article I immediately thought that if we squeezed all humans of their water content we could make a modest sized lake.
If you squeezed all the bullshit out of creatards you could make a gigantic-sized turd.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth' Recent CLimate Spiral 2.0 Leonardo17 105 5814 November 5, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Earth's recent climate spiral. Jehanne 301 18175 March 5, 2023 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Once, Twice, 20 Times a solar system. Brian37 1 318 November 28, 2020 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes blue grey brain 6 1023 November 25, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: unfogged
  Geocentric Earth Haipule 174 26461 September 1, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  The discovery of alien life may be close. How will religion survive it? TubbyTubby 60 10378 May 3, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Earth-Like Planet around Proxima? Alex K 30 4403 August 14, 2016 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Wondrous times, less wonder. Excited Penguin 17 2174 December 2, 2015 at 9:17 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Temperatures on Earth lifesagift 15 3274 November 27, 2014 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The top three biggest threats to humanity.... lifesagift 58 10105 November 8, 2014 at 8:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger