Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good News
Good News
http://www.freep.com/article/20140613/NEWS05/306130023

Quote:Membership in Presbyterian Church USA has plummeted over the past 20 years. It has lost roughly 1 million members — more than a third of its membership — from about 2.8 million in 1992 to 1.8 million last year, a decline shared by other mainline Protestant denominations.

Keep up the good work!
RE: Good News
Except that they're all Baptists now Facepalm
I suspect most of them are dead. Lots of old fucks fall for this religious shit.
(June 14, 2014 at 8:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I suspect most of them are dead. Lots of old fucks fall for this religious shit.

Trouble is, too many of the young ones fall for it as well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I call it brain washing.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
As long as the numbers keep going down, I don't care.
The demographics of religious belief are heartening. The inverse proportion between age and faith is telling.

(June 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The demographics of religious belief are heartening. The inverse proportion between age and faith is telling.

Catholic attendance should increase because of the influx of illegal aliens. And muslim numbers will increase once the Middle East refugees get their plane tickets.
(June 14, 2014 at 8:12 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Except that they're all Baptists now Facepalm

Actually - the Baptist population in the Usa peaked iin 2007 and has dropped as a percentage of the total US population every year since then - and baptisms are dropping about 5% a year.

And it is NOT only dropping but it is AGING as well - and fewer young people come in to replace the OLD who die off.

The SOUTHERN BAPTIST research arm LifeWay Research released the following projections at the convention’s annual meeting in Kentucky: it said its numbers would fall nearly 50 percent by 2050 “unless the aging and predominantly white denomination reverses a 50-year trend and does more to strengthen evangelism, reach immigrants, and develop a broader ethnic base.”

“Using U.S. Census projected population figures, SBC membership could fall from a peak of 6 percent of the American population in the late 1980s to 2 percent in 2050,” said LifeWay director Ed Stetzer.

The Pew Research group reports that about 28% of the adults in the USA have left the religion they were brought up in - and most of them become unafiliated with religion.

And of course - the Study that says that religion is going extinct in 9 Western countries -

THe question that leaves for those that do not believe is - What to do with all the empty churches! (Bring Back Bowling?)

(June 15, 2014 at 12:17 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The demographics of religious belief are heartening. The inverse proportion between age and faith is telling.

Catholic attendance should increase because of the influx of illegal aliens. And muslim numbers will increase once the Middle East refugees get their plane tickets.

Actually - the illegals are already the reason why the numbers are not worse. However - the influx has already topped out - and lots are leaving because there is no work for them.

As far as the Muslims - divorce rates skyrocket when they come to the usa - since the Woman have the same rights as men here.

Neither of these are enough to dent the decline in religion in the USA - and it is even worse for religion in European countries, Canada - and Australia.
(June 15, 2014 at 8:12 pm)ThomM Wrote: THe question that leaves for those that do not believe is - What to do with all the empty churches! (Bring Back Bowling?)

They make really nice theaters, private schools, craft centers, antique shops, and so much more. Though theater and antique uses may be a little ironic. Just as long as they get used for something so they don't become a "den of thieves."
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More Good News....The Bullshitters Are Dying out Minimalist 36 5875 March 21, 2015 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Good news for all snakes, the savior of serpent kind has arrived. Anomalocaris 1 1456 November 3, 2010 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist