Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unequally Yoked
Unequally Yoked
Hi everyone Hi

I'm a former Christian who is married to a Christian woman. My wife and I have a wonderful relationship and we're very happy together. Fortunately my wife, although she believes that Jesus is God, does not try to change me or force me to think any differently than I currently do. She knows how I feel about Christianity, and religion in general, and still she never acts like some Christians do - cursing me to hell and all that mumbo-jumbo dogma that the religion promotes. She's even dropped a lot of her former fundamentalism in favor of a harmonious relationship with her husband. She witnessed my de-conversion from theism, my brief bout with atheism, and my transformation into an open-minded man. I 'allow' her belief, and she 'allows' mine, without either of us trying to coerce or manipulate the other. It was not an easy transition, and I acknowledge things like maturity and personality when considering our respective evolutionary thought processes. I'm glad we landed where we are now, and I'm so in love with my sweet wife - religion and all.

Thanks for reading Read

Anyone else here "unequally yoked"? Care to share your story?
RE: Unequally Yoked
My first wife was raised in an Evangelical family and never missed an opportunity to get up on her high horse, if only to repeatedly demonstrate that she knew fuck-all about the Bible. And she frequently lamented our being "unequally yoked" -- usually after I busted her for her hypocrisy.

Of course, she was right. We were unequally yoked -- just not in the way she thought.
(June 16, 2014 at 5:38 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Hi everyone Hi

I am also “unequally yoked” to a woman (26th anniversary in August 2014) who thinks she is a Christian because that’s what her parents told her she is. She rarely discusses religion with me because she is afraid of the possibility that I am right, and she “can’t bear to imagine that she will never see her parents again after they die”.

However, my real “unequally yoked” story involves a former business partner (a “devout” christian), who tried to screw me every way possible after he found out that I was an atheist. Mind you, he was the one who vowed that we would never have a “nigger” working in our company, and he boasted about swindling little old ladies (members of his church, no less) out of thousands of dollars, all in the interest of “profit”.

One of the happiest days of my life was the day I sold him my half of the company.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
My wife was raised Jewish and gave up that nonsense even before I gave up mine. So, I'm happy not to have to deal with that.
My wife considers religion a gigantic turd which is not even worth talking about.
I was unequally yoked but threw off the yoke and got me a hot atheist devil chick.

Needless to say religion isn't a factor in our relationship.
Sort of. I'm an atheist. My husband believes that "there is something out there." He admits this is just a gut feeling. He no longer believes in the Judeo-Christian god, or a personal god of any sort, or even a god interested in humanity. As, "something out there" doesn't seem to affect his thinking about anything whatsoever, I can live with that.

The only problem is that I am out as an atheist to my Christian family and he is not out to his. Nor does he want me out to his. I respect that within limits. Creationism, the nearness of the "end times", and exposing adolescent girls to prisons so they can sing about the lord, are beyond my ability to stay quiet. Fortunately they are beyond his ability to stay quiet too. So it works, sort of---at least when we don't visit the Bible Belt too, too, much.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
My wife is an apatheist.

She simply does not give a shit about any of it and when I make remarks about the Christards she just roles her eyes.
I once tried to find out what her leaning is and I truly believe she doesn't have one. She even thinks I waste my time even posting in these forums.

I guess in some ways that makes us both equally AND unequally yoked together. Undecided
[Image: Evolution.png]

Unequally Yoked
(June 16, 2014 at 9:10 pm)Strongbad Wrote:
(June 16, 2014 at 5:38 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Hi everyone Hi

I am also “unequally yoked” to a woman (26th anniversary in August 2014) who thinks she is a Christian because that’s what her parents told her she is. She rarely discusses religion with me because she is afraid of the possibility that I am right, and she “can’t bear to imagine that she will never see her parents again after they die”.
I'm in a similar boat. My wife was raised by a slut-shaming YEC mother who obviously cares, but can't seem to express love or affection without henpecking disapproval from hair color (and we're talking natural shades, the last minor change was promoted comments about "needing to find a healthier way to express herself") to tattoos, and invoking Jesus.

Luckily, she's sharp as a tack, and figured out on her own that large parts of what she was taught to believe is BS, but still holds on to some vague deistic beliefs involving Jesus I can't quite pin down.

Which are fine, I have no problem with her believing in god, but I'm openly critical about religion and my problem with "divine justice" and the afterlife, because it removes the drive for, you know, actual justice, and it deeply upsets me. She's critical of organized religion herself.

Talks about religion go well, and she discarded the YEC label pretty quickly once I pointed out she believes six days of creation refer to billions of years, doesn't see a conflict with abiogenesis, and only rejected "Macroevolution" because she didn't understand the (nonexistent) difference, and didn't spend time looking into it.

These aren't beliefs she spent any time critically thinking about, didn't bring up in conversation, and maintained as background noise.

Our Sunday coffee religion chats have been on hold for a while now, but from what I gathered last, Jesus and Buddha were "conduits" to an omnimax God, most of the bible is made up of parables. Today she posted Eddie Izzard's "Noah's Ark" bit, tagged me and a mutual friend who is a vocal atheist.

I'm married to Kichi and we know what she thinks of religion Big Grin
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.