Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kudos Update
Kudos Update
We've had the Kudos system (formally "Recommended Posts") for a few months now, and already we have seen over 7,000 kudos issued to over 150 separate members. The great thing is, not all of them were given by Saerules Tongue

For those who weren't here at the time, or have missed the system entirely, let me explain. The Kudos system is a way of showing appreciation of a specific post made by a member. Under every post, you should see the following button (unless it is your own post): [Image: postbit_thx.gif]. Clicking the button lets the member know that their post was appreciated, usually because it was informative or funny.

The Kudos system ties directly into the "Top Members" section, such that the rankings presented there are calculated from the number of posts a member has with 2 or more kudos.

However, whilst this is a good way of finding out who the people behind the best posts are, it says nothing about the actual posts. Hence, I have created a page devoted to the actual Kudos points given. If you go to http://atheistforums.org/kudos.php (or click the link at the top of the site), you can view a list of the latest kudos given, who gave it, who it was given to, and for which post.

If that weren't good enough, I have made a search / filter system so you can see kudos given by specific members, or to specific members, or both. Simply fill in the boxes with the username of the member you wish to search for (autocompletion is enabled to help) and click "Search". You can enter multiple users in the search by separating usernames with a comma.

If you wish to reset the search and just see an unfiltered results list, click the "Clear" link. If you want to switch the terms around (so "Given by" becomes "Given to" and vice versa), do so by clicking the "Switch" link.

So, have a play around, and please report any bugs here as usual!

-Adrian
RE: Kudos Update
Aesthetically, I would remove the blue background from the icon, since the top icons don't have any backgrounds.

I'm an artist, things like that stick out to me.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Done. Smile
Adrian,

Are you working on making a thumbs down? What are your thoughts on the idea?

Thanks,
Rhizo
I don't see what the point would be. If you don't like a post, don't kudos it...
What if you want to express (all out) distaste... as opposed to simply not liking a post? That way there would be a like, dislike and a not bothered either way (by not voting either thumbs up or down) position.

It would add much more emphasis than simply not giving kudos +1

EvF
If it's distasteful there's the report function. Staff then decide if it stays. Being an atheist forum: theists, deists, polytheists are all gonna attract disapproval for no other reason than their standpoint being uncommon. Hey wait a minute... this might be a new popularity mechanism for non atheists Smile.

I think it's just common sense to promote positivity and discourage negativity.
It would of course be cool IF everyone could use it maturely Wink

EvF
(January 8, 2010 at 4:51 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: If it's distasteful there's the report function. Staff then decide if it stays. Being an atheist forum: theists, deists, polytheists are all gonna attract disapproval for no other reason than their standpoint being uncommon. Hey wait a minute... this might be a new popularity mechanism for non atheists Smile.

I think it's just common sense to promote positivity and discourage negativity.

Oh you mean how atheists are contantly pressing the "thumbs up" button on every post made by an atheist? Oh wait that isn't the case, in fact when theists post something good they get a thumbs up as often as atheists.

Rhizo
Adrian Wrote:The great thing is, not all of them were given by Saerules Tongue

Blush I've only given 331 of the 715 pages of Kudos... Blush
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 6366 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  A Quick Update Tiberius 4 1839 January 22, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Privacy Policy Update Tiberius 1 915 October 8, 2017 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Area 69 Rules Update Cyberman 34 5812 July 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Trolling rule update Jackalope 110 18278 February 19, 2017 at 3:39 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule. Tiberius 25 5717 November 27, 2016 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update Tiberius 38 6808 July 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Forum Migration Update Tiberius 174 25421 May 12, 2015 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  The Return of the Kudos Tiberius 29 5348 April 21, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Announcement: Rules update Jackalope 1 1818 August 17, 2014 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Mystical