Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:56 am

Poll: Should we have a thumbs down icon to go with the thumbs up icon.
This poll is closed.
Yes! we need a way to quickly register disspleasure
37.50%
9 37.50%
Maybe, there is some merit in providing both up and down thumbs
16.67%
4 16.67%
Whatever, I wish I could give this thread a thumbs down!
8.33%
2 8.33%
Maybe, but it seems a bit mean
16.67%
4 16.67%
No! It might lead to hurt feelings
20.83%
5 20.83%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thumbs down button
Thumbs down button
I've long thought that having only a thumbs up button is nice, but that means that there is no quick way to express disspleasure at a post. What do you think?
RE: Thumbs down button
This reminds me of the quest for the dislike option on facebook
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I don't see the point really. If you don't like the post then don't rate it, or argue against it in a reply.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I like the current positivity.. it's great to encourage ..destructive to just register dislike without the need for reasoning.
Exactly. I fear people will just abuse the system; rating people down without making a post to explain why. The thing about the current Kudos system is that you can show appreciation without making a small post saying "I agree with X" and not adding anything to the thread.

However the same shouldn't be true of a thumbs down system. People should discuss why they don't like certain posts, and thumbs down button might just be used as a way to escape that (or a way to get back at someone you don't like).

Plus, what happens if someone registers and makes a script that ranks everyone's posts down. That's easy to get rid of for one person (although it would be *very* annoying), but what if multiple users do it? Then it's me who has to spend an hour in the database making sure everything is restored.
Youtube has thumbs up and down. Why not. I think the majority of people here wont abuse something like that and the ones that do are just ass clowns.
binnyCoffee
Atheists on YouTube are frequently on the end of votebot attacks which exploit the aforementioned flaw in the system.
Youtube is the prime example how the rating system shouldn't be. It's a good thing you can disable it on some videos because its abuse is notorious.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I don't see any good in it.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
I'm not suggesting that it should affect the viewablity of a post, just add a little note that "Rhizomorph13" dislikes this post or something like that. Much like the thumbs up button does now. I agree that IF there were bot attacks it should be dismantled immediately.

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rate button BrokenQuill92 4 1114 December 10, 2019 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  [Serious] The Show Content Button? Draconic Aiur 3 1090 May 15, 2019 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  The "winner" button Foxaèr 9 2094 September 29, 2017 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Add a soundcloud button? bennyboy 8 2159 March 3, 2016 at 8:45 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Mobile rep button BrokenQuill92 2 1306 February 18, 2016 at 6:16 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Thumbs down paulpablo 12 1895 November 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Post Button Not Working AFTT47 8 2674 August 21, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Still no kudos button for me Foxaèr 16 2903 April 10, 2015 at 7:33 am