Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
he knows im right, but is still a christian?
he knows im right, but is still a christian?
One of my best friends is a christian, and we have discussions about it all the time. I have told him about the evidence for evolution, and the big bang. We have discussed the contradictions in the bible as well as the christian god having impossible characteristics. He is aware that I am right, but for some reason he just tells me to ask god why science is right, and the bible is fucked up. Why is he like this when he knows im right? How do I get him to stop believing that shit?
Love Logic <3
RE: he knows im right, but is still a christian?
Watch South Park episode "All About Mormons".

The speech the Mormon kid gives Stan (IIRC) at the end (just before he says 'suck my balls') wraps up the whole gestalt of believers persisting in their belief.
(June 18, 2014 at 11:29 pm)KatiePrivett Wrote: One of my best friends is a christian, and we have discussions about it all the time. I have told him about the evidence for evolution, and the big bang. We have discussed the contradictions in the bible as well as the christian god having impossible characteristics. He is aware that I am right, but for some reason he just tells me to ask god why science is right, and the bible is fucked up. Why is he like this when he knows im right? How do I get him to stop believing that shit?

You don't. Clearly he's invested in the idea.
My best friend is a baptist.

We don't talk about religion. It helps a lot.
It can be difficult for those brought up in a religion to change their views.

Some creationists don't accept anyone who accepts evolution to be "true Christians™".
Dying to live, living to die.
The Mormons advocate what they call the truth test. You read the book of Mormon and then you ask God or your soul if it's true. The Christians have a similar plan----read the Bible with an open heart (meaning a heart willing to be fooled). The only way to believe is to invest in the idea. They are both recipes for deluding yourself. Unfortunately, they often work.

Providing a happy example of not believing, questioning irrational assumptions, providing evidence the contrary---- that's all you can do. That and stay a friend.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
What makes you certain that he is aware you are right? Perhaps he just says you're right because he doesn't feel he can defend his beliefs well enough.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 18, 2014 at 11:34 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Watch South Park episode "All About Mormons".

The speech the Mormon kid gives Stan (IIRC) at the end (just before he says 'suck my balls') wraps up the whole gestalt of believers persisting in their belief.

I'll make sure to show that to him Smile i never thought to look to south park for advice on this subject

(June 19, 2014 at 12:17 am)Faith No More Wrote: What makes you certain that he is aware you are right? Perhaps he just says you're right because he doesn't feel he can defend his beliefs well enough.
Could be, however he was homeschool by a very religious family, and has studied the bible thoroughly. This is what makes me think he knows im right. He is also a very assertive person, and does not argue with me.

(June 19, 2014 at 12:04 am)Jenny A Wrote: The Mormons advocate what they call the truth test. You read the book of Mormon and then you ask God or your soul if it's true. The Christians have a similar plan----read the Bible with an open heart (meaning a heart willing to be fooled). The only way to believe is to invest in the idea. They are both recipes for deluding yourself. Unfortunately, they often work.

Providing a happy example of not believing, questioning irrational assumptions, providing evidence the contrary---- that's all you can do. That and stay a friend.

Thankyou, this is a very helpful response. I hate how valued blind faith, and ignorance are among christians. He is very smart though, I think he'll get there Smile it just drives me nuts knowing he's been fooled
Love Logic <3
(June 19, 2014 at 12:18 am)KatiePrivett Wrote: Could be, however he was homeschool by a very religious family, and has studied the bible thoroughly. This is what makes me think he knows im right. He is also a very assertive person, and does not argue with me.

If he was homeschooled, I doubt you've truly penetrated the indoctrination. He's been taught that any ideas contradicting his religion are evil and threaten his eternal soul, so I would guess that at best you've sowed some seeds of doubt.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 18, 2014 at 11:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: My best friend is a baptist.

We don't talk about religion. It helps a lot.
i have people in my life I cant talk about religion with. I avoid making debates personal, but many people cant. They get all fuckin worked up, and but hurt.
Love Logic <3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 1909 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 17728 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 7993 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1373 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87836 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Who knows why? onlinebiker 14 1568 May 13, 2019 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Drich
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 7683 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5544 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27512 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 3199 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker