Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Review
Book Review
Book recommendation! Let's get started!
RE: Book Review
I'd be happy to talk about the Animorphs series.

Steve Shives likes to review christian books on Youtube.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Game of thrones! Get on my level you filthy casuals who only watch the tv series!
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
I'm reading The Black Count.

Alexandre Dumas is famous for writing The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers. What lots of people don't know is that his father, Alex Dumas, was a major figure through the French Revolution and Napoleon's reign...and was half-black. The book is a really interesting glimpse into the strange race relations that went on in the French-held portions of the Caribbean and in France itself. In America we learn all about the way the United States handled slavery and the resulting racism, but France had its own very quixotic relationship with the slave trade and racism. On top of it, Alex Dumas cuts a very romantic figure and his experiences clearly influence many of the scenes we see in Alexandre's novels later in life. I really recommend it for getting to see a portion of history from a different perspective, and because it's always cool to read about the people who inspire our favorite literary characters.

I also read Cooked - Michael Pollan is awesome as long as he's not on an anti-GMO or pro-organics kick.

And I'm also working my way through Paradise Lost. Epic poetry is epic.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(June 19, 2014 at 1:48 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: Game of thrones! Get on my level you filthy casuals who only watch the tv series!

I read Ice and Fire, until the five year gap. After that I just lost interest. One year between books is bad enough. Five years, and I start to wonder if it's still worth it.

the sad thing is one of my online friends still loves the series, and I know he'd like to talk about it with me because he mentions it sometimes.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'm reading "Belief's Own Ethics" by Jonathan E Adler. Awesome book that makes a strong case for the epistemology of evidentialism.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(June 19, 2014 at 1:57 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I read Ice and Fire, until the five year gap. After that I just lost interest. One year between books is bad enough. Five years, and I start to wonder if it's still worth it.

the sad thing is one of my online friends still loves the series, and I know he'd like to talk about it with me because he mentions it sometimes.

The five year break wasn't enough to kill my interest, but the fifth book was. The story has spun out of Martin's control.

To the OP:
I can recommend a ton:
Brandon Mull: "Fablehaven" (YA fantasy series).

Brandon Sanderson: Most anything he's ever written, but especially "Elantris" (stand-alone fantasy), The "Mistborn" Trilogy (fantasy) and the "Reckoners" series (super-hero, sorta, books with the second due out this fall).

Brenna Yavanoff: "The Replacement" (modern day fairy tale)

C.J. Cherryh: Anything she's written but especially the "Foreigner" series (really good alien culture sci-fi) and the "Tristan" series (sword and sorcerer fantasy).

Carrie Vaughn (local Boulder author, yay): "Discord's Apple" (modern day greek pantheon fantasy) and her "Kitty" series (urban fantasy with a werewolf name Kitty Big Grin )

Conor Kostick: The "Avatar Chronicles" (fantasy inside a sci-fi tale).

Dan Wells: The "Partials" series (dystopian future, YA)

Daniel H. Wilson: "Amped" (near future sc-fi) and Robopocalypse (near future sci-fi).

Eoin Colfer: EVERYTHING!!!!!!! "The Supernaturalist" (near future YA sci-fi) was amazing. His "Artemis Fowl" (12-year old criminal mastermind with fairies) series is insanely good though I heard a nasty rumor that the latest and last is the last because Disney bought his publishing house. If true, kudos to him for wanting nothing to do with Disney and a hearty "FUCK YOU!" to Disney.

Ernest Cline: "Ready Player One" (near future sci-fi). Future world where most typical human interaction takes place in VR, on-line. TONS of '80s references but a damned good read.

Isobelle Carmody: The "Obernewtyn Chronicles" (very, very good dystopian future with a bit of fantasy in the mix).

James Alan Gardner: The "League of Peoples" series (sci-fi). How do you not like a series about red-shirts?!?

James Dashner: The "Maze Runner" series. (dystopian future).

Jim Butcher: "The Dresden Files" series (urban fantasy). Wizard at large with a spirit guide named Bob, who lives in a skull and has a libido roughly the size of Alaska. Hugely entertaining.

Kage Baker (RIP Kage!): "The Company" series. (time travel sc-fi with cyborgs).

Kim Harrison: "The Hollows" series (urban fantasy)

Mark Walden: The "H.I.V.E" higher institute for villainous education series (YA action/adventure).

Max Brooks: "World War Z" (historical documentary of the zombie apocalypse). Awesome book. Hollywood bought the rights just to get the title and ignored the content.

Michael J. Fox: "Luck Man" (non-fiction). Michael J. Fox's autobiographical story of dealing with Lou Gherig's disease. Touching and funny.

Neil Gaiman: EVERYTHING!!!!! But, especially "American Gods" (modern mythos fiction), "Stardust" (fantasy in the early mold of the genre) and "Neverwhere" (modern day fantasy).

Nick Sagan (yes, Carl's kid): The "Idlewild" series. (near future dystopia).

Pete Hamill: "Forever." This one's hard to calssify because it has elements of many genres, but a superb read!

Philip Pullman: "His Dark Materials" (fantasy series).

Richard Adams: "Watership Down" (contemporary fiction).

Richard K. Morgan: "Thirteen" and the "Takeshi Kovacs" series (sci-fi/dystopian future).

Robert Asprin: The "Myth" and "Myth Adventures" series' (comedic fantasy).

Robert Rankin: The "Toy Town" duology (comedic fairy tales). I've never laughed so hard at the written word as I did while reading "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse!"

Sophie Littlefield: The "Aftertime" series. Zombie stories on Harlequin imprint? Really? Yes, really, and they're not romances.

Steven Gould: The "Jumper" series. (sci-fi). The first is the book that the really bad Hayden Christensen film is (very, very loosely) based on but don't hold that against it. It's a really good coming of age story.

Ted Kosmatka: "The Games" (near future sci-fi). Genetic manipulation gone wrong. Sure, it's done to death but this one's pretty good.

Vince Flynn (died at 47, victim of cancer, RIP Vince!!!): The "Mitch Rapp" series (political thrillers). Mitch Rapp is a CIA agent with some very typical Republican beliefs but these are very good "spy story" books.

If you want/need any more recommendations, let me know. This is really just scraping the surface. I read prodigiously. Sci-fi and fantasy are my go-tos, but I'll read damn near anything, unless it's really bad. Life's too short for bad fiction.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 19, 2014 at 11:28 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Jim Butcher: "The Dresden Files" series (urban fantasy). Wizard at large with a spirit guide named Bob, who lives in a skull and has a libido roughly the size of Alaska. Hugely entertaining.

Tell me this: does the simplistic, exposition heavy narration style ever clear up? I recently cracked open the first one and I'm aware it's a long series, but jeez is that narration ever hard for me to swallow. The ideas look cool, but I dunno if I can wade through so many paragraphs of being told things rather than shown them.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Jim Butcher is a bit ( Big Grin ) heavy handed, true. It does get better. Go away, not so sure, but it does get better. I'm a little more tolerant of it seeing as I've read everything Stephen King (the master of purple prose) has written.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 20, 2014 at 12:01 am)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Jim Butcher is a bit ( Big Grin ) heavy handed, true. It does get better. Go away, not so sure, but it does get better. I'm a little more tolerant of it seeing as I've read everything Stephen King (the master of purple prose) has written.

I'll give it a book or two, see where it goes. Tongue

It does have one thing going for it, which is that I feel much better about the flow of my own writing, especially when I remind myself that it's a very long running, successful series. Wink
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1023 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 255 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3117 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1103 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 1987 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 376 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 1998 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  First Children's Book to Teach the Big Bang to preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 15 3655 June 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, I published my first children's book–Tori the Time Traveler Shell B 38 6077 May 28, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Shell B
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5313 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous