Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Weird Thing Happened Today: Free Money
A Weird Thing Happened Today: Free Money
A construction company on the other side of the country sent a fifteen hundred and some odd check to my daughter via two day priority mail. We've never heard of them. I Googled them. They are a real company, with reviews (good and bad) that's apparently been in business a long while.

I don't think in all conscience we can cash the check as I'm sure they've made a mistake. So I sent them an email asking why.

But it's very odd. Does anyone know of a scam like this?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: A Weird Thing Happened Today: Free Money
(June 23, 2014 at 9:49 pm)Jenny A Wrote: A construction company on the other side of the country sent a fifteen hundred and some odd check to my daughter via two day priority mail. We've never heard of them. I Googled them. They are a real company, with reviews (good and bad) that's apparently been in business a long while.

I don't think in all conscience we can cash the check as I'm sure they've made a mistake. So I sent them an email asking why.

But it's very odd. Does anyone know of a scam like this?

Nothing like that.

I'd certainly contact the company. Someone might be sending bad cheques on their behalf.

We get Indian call centres here, pretending to be from Microsoft telling us our computers have viruses and getting pissed off with you when you tell them they're not from Microsoft, the computer doesn't have a virus, and that they're idiots.
Dying to live, living to die.
@ Beccs

Oh! The Windows Computer people, they call us too. Frequently. We have a family competition as to who can keep them on the line the longest. There are several approaches. One is rational and knowledgeable: we have several computers running Windows, which seems to be the problem. Another is ignorance: how do you turn the computer on? And then there's are you the support service I hired. I want to make a complaint.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 23, 2014 at 10:19 pm)Jenny A Wrote: @ Beccs

Oh! The Windows Computer people, they call us too. Frequently. We have a family competition as to who can keep them on the line the longest. There are several approaches. One is rational and knowledgeable: we have several computers running Windows, which seems to be the problem. Another is ignorance: how do you turn the computer on? And then there's are you the support service I hired. I want to make a complaint.

A friend says, "Oh, really. Please tell me more!"

ANd then puts the phone down and carries on going about his day.

Smile
(June 23, 2014 at 9:59 pm)Beccs Wrote: We get Indian call centres here, pretending to be from Microsoft telling us our computers have viruses and getting pissed off with you when you tell them they're not from Microsoft, the computer doesn't have a virus, and that they're idiots.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I LOVE these guys. They are so much fun to fuck with!

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Hello. We're calling because your computer is spreading viruses (never a virus, always viruses) onto the internet.

Me:
Really? I had no idea. I should take car of that. Are you sure it's mine?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Oh, definitely. We can see that your computer is spreading viruses.

Me:
So, are you selling something that will help?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Oh no. We're...

Me:
So how do you know it's my computer?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Well we have algorithms...

Me:
Algorithms to help you determine IP addresses?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Certainly.

So, you've verified that my IP address is sending out viruses?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Of course, if you'll let me...

Me:
So, what is my IP address?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Excuse me?

Me:
What is my IP address? If you've tracked a virus to my IP then you must know what it is.

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
We can't share that with you but...

Me:
No. Wait a moment. My IP address is publicly available. It's what allows my computer to communicate with the internet. So please, I'd like to verify that my machine is sending a virus.

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
We're really not suppos...

Me:
As I said, it's a publicly available number. If you can't tell me what it is than how can I tell if you're really tracking my computer or not.

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Ok, well..... Are you ready?

Me:
Yes

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
You're IP address is 192.168.1.500.

Me:
Really?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Very.

Me:
Ok. Now I know you're full of shit. For you to read a 192.168 number from my computer, you would have to have hacked my private network. 192.168 is reserved specifically for private networks. You didn't hack my network did you?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Oh, no sir. If you'll...

Me:
Another thing. An IP address uses a numbering system called a dotted quad, meaning four sets of numbers between 1 and 255, separated by periods. Do you see any problem with the number you just gave me?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Sir, if you'll let me...

Me:
No, I most certainly will not. You called me with a bullshit story backed up with a bullshit IP address and I've half a mind to call an attorney. Anything to say to that?

Hello....

Still there?

It's simple stuff and they can never give answers that are even half-way intelligent. The next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time), I'm going to have to string them along further up front to see what it is they really want.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 23, 2014 at 10:30 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote:
(June 23, 2014 at 9:59 pm)Beccs Wrote: We get Indian call centres here, pretending to be from Microsoft telling us our computers have viruses and getting pissed off with you when you tell them they're not from Microsoft, the computer doesn't have a virus, and that they're idiots.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I LOVE these guys. They are so much fun to fuck with!

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Hello. We're calling because your computer is spreading viruses (never a virus, always viruses) onto the internet.

Me:
Really? I had no idea. I should take car of that. Are you sure it's mine?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Oh, definitely. We can see that your computer is spreading viruses.

Me:
So, are you selling something that will help?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Oh no. We're...

Me:
So how do you know it's my computer?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Well we have algorithms...

Me:
Algorithms to help you determine IP addresses?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Certainly.

So, you've verified that my IP address is sending out viruses?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Of course, if you'll let me...

Me:
So, what is my IP address?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Excuse me?

Me:
What is my IP address? If you've tracked a virus to my IP then you must know what it is.

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
We can't share that with you but...

Me:
No. Wait a moment. My IP address is publicly available. It's what allows my computer to communicate with the internet. So please, I'd like to verify that my machine is sending a virus.

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
We're really not suppos...

Me:
As I said, it's a publicly available number. If you can't tell me what it is than how can I tell if you're really tracking my computer or not.

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Ok, well..... Are you ready?

Me:
Yes

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
You're IP address is 192.168.1.500.

Me:
Really?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Very.

Me:
Ok. Now I know you're full of shit. For you to read a 192.168 number from my computer, you would have to have hacked my private network. 192.168 is reserved specifically for private networks. You didn't hack my network did you?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Oh, no sir. If you'll...

Me:
Another thing. An IP address uses a numbering system called a dotted quad, meaning four sets of numbers between 1 and 255, separated by periods. Do you see any problem with the number you just gave me?

Fake Microsoft Asshole:
Sir, if you'll let me...

Me:
No, I most certainly will not. You called me with a bullshit story backed up with a bullshit IP address and I've half a mind to call an attorney. Anything to say to that?

Hello....

Still there?

It's simple stuff and they can never give answers that are even half-way intelligent. The next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time), I'm going to have to string them along further up front to see what it is they really want.

An older member of my family keeps getting them and asks how certain they are that it's her PC.

They say 100% certain and then she replies, "But I don't have a PC or laptop"

Then they try to sell her one.

Idiots.
Be easy on him.
He's just reading to you what's in his scriptures....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
THANK GAWD YOU FOUND IT!! If I pm my address can you send it soon? Thanks! And of course there is a reward in this for you, dearie.
My Mother actually fell for the Windows Computer guys. They promised to fix her computer, but wanted her to pay with a prepaid credit card. It's only that she didn't know you need cash to buy one that saved her. The nice woman at Walgreens explained it was a scam.
(June 23, 2014 at 10:38 pm)Jenny A Wrote: My Mother actually fell for the Windows Computer guys. They promised to fix her computer, but wanted her to pay with a prepaid credit card. It's only because she didn't know you need cash to buy one that saved her. The nice woman at Walgreens explained it was a scam.

Ohhhhhhh. I can definitely fuck with these guys better than I did the first time.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3574 173470 3 hours ago
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1004 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Borders are weird Foxaèr 5 519 October 28, 2023 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2164 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 672 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The concept of "spending money" as a fetish Ahriman 15 1696 December 20, 2022 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Whatever Happened To... The Valkyrie 8 759 July 26, 2022 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The best thing about ____________ ( fill in blank) onlinebiker 3 294 March 13, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What would you do if given a ton of money? Ahriman 23 923 December 27, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 542 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4