Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
affirmative action
affirmative action
If someone is looking for the ten best basketball players and they are all black men , does it make sense to say half of them have to be women and we need a white person, an Asian a Mexican and Arab and a native american?give the position to the person who does the job the best. Duh!

If you need the ten best mathematicians and they are all women or they are all Asian, give the job to those who do it best.If the people that are applying for the job are almost all black, don't feel guilty for hiring a whitey whose more educated, experienced, or suited for it.If I was a fat guy In a wheelchair and a fire person was coming to my rescue, would I want a woman to grab me by the ankles and drag my fat ass down a flight of stairs, or a male who can put me over his shoulder and carry me?

. If you want someone who can restrain derelicts doped up on PCP and stabilize prison riots the average male applying for the job is more suited for that type of work than the average female.

There are a lot of jobs where the women who are applying will do the job better. Its bullshit that a whole gender couldn't vote, but if you are hiring people , give the job to the person who Is best suited for it, rather than feel guilty about being prejudice.The other philosophy is irrational and bad for civilization 
RE: affirmative action
Welcome.

Depending on your sex and skin color, I'm not so sure this topic should be discussed by anyone other than eskimo female vikings from Brazil. They rarely have a chance to post on topics such as these.
I agree with you, in principle. The problem is getting people to hire the best available candidate regardless of their personal bigotry. Repeal affirmative action and many companies would quickly revert to one form or another of the "good-ol'-boy" system.

Can you imagine the Hobby Lobby hiring an atheist without affirmative action laws? How about small businesses in the south run my racial bigots hiring blacks without them?

It's a shitty system that sometimes leaves the best able to do a job out in the cold but with the resources to find another job elsewhere. The alternative is a shittier system that could leave the best able to do a job without the job and without the resources to find another job elsewhere.

Welcome aboard. You may want to post an intro thread to give people a bit of info about you. There may even be cookies. Big Grin
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I'm not huge on affirmative action, myself. FWIW, I am white, and retired due to disability. But it does seem like racial bigotry can go a lot of different directions these days, not just white on black. So, AA almost seems kind of racist in itself.

However, that said, I think GBD nailed it in his post. AA is the lesser of evils. Our society is slightly better with it than without. Better ideas will be found in the generations to come.

And yes, I must agree that it's only polite to start an intro thread for yourself. Tell us as much as you are comfortable with about you, even if it's not much.

Welcome aboard!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Let Chris Rock explain it to you.

It reminds me of the joke of the fat chick who took action against her employer.
He was always joking and touching his female employees where he shouldn't have been.
But he wasn't doing it to her and she felt she was being discriminated against.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 27, 2014 at 1:56 am)ignoramus Wrote: It reminds me of the joke of the fat chick who took action against her employer.
He was always joking and touching his female employees where he shouldn't have been.
But he wasn't doing it to her and she felt she was being discriminated against.

Well, she was. He should have been an equal opportunity pervert. Angel
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Affirmative Negative Action™... Causing equality inequality for decades Thumb up
Welcome, shortbus. Welcome

I'd be interested in seeing an intro thread by you so we can induce you properly ^_^

There's welcome cookies/biscuits in it for you Wink
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
so it must be important that we make restitution.
how can America make reparation and restitution for the Native Americans, Mexicans, and African Americans that Europeans have mistreated?

we cannot make reparation to those who have died 100 or 200 yrs ago btw unless you are seasoned at necromancy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you could enact laws into action to change society Foxaèr 58 14733 May 29, 2017 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Sal